Bargain Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

BigTelHols

Order and came in brown box (not original packaging). Delighted!
Badly damaged in the corner, without hard polystyrene packaging it's useless when couriers bash boxes around during transit.
That's shocking, what a waste of a TV for the sake of some proper protection. Hopefully you get sorted with a replacement quickly. I ordered my XG from here and it came in the original box with the proper internal packaging. The way you would expect for a manufacturer certified refurbishment.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Agree, for the sake of the packaging they've now ruined a perfectly good TV, delivery fee and collection fee.

As this was a refurb unit, replacement isn't guaranteed if they don't have stock. So unfortunately they'll just refund me if they can't get something out in the next 2 weeks.

Really annoyed as I booked this week off to enjoy some films on the new OLED.

LeftyXXIII

Distinguished Member
Order and came in brown box (not original packaging). Delighted!
Badly damaged in the corner, without hard polystyrene packaging it's useless when couriers bash boxes around during transit.

My refurbished unit only came in a brown box too - it did come with plenty of polystyrene so was protected but it still had all the grub marks from the previous owner. You'd think with the amount of money involved they'd spend a few minutes ensuring the new owner would be happy enough.

Hopefully they resolve things for you quickly!

suresh92

Hi guys,

I ordered an A8 Grade A and it arrived today. The case looks almost perfect and I checked the total hours it's been on and it says "00427" which if I am not wrong it is 427 hours. Is this good or bad?

Also, is there anything else I should check?

Dodgexander

Hi guys,

I ordered an A8 Grade A and it arrived today. The case looks almost perfect and I checked the total hours it's been on and it says "00427" which if I am not wrong it is 427 hours. Is this good or bad?

Also, is there anything else I should check?
I don't think the viewing time resets if they do a panel replacement, so yours probably just has a new panel fitted. Check to make sure there aren't any signs of burn in using test slides.

jenic

I like the look of the 43XG70 for £269, looking for something for the bedroom. Not sure how good it is though, would like a half decent smart system and there's not much online about what this one includes.

The 43XG80 is only £60 more, but when into that price range I'd rather go for something like the entry level LG with a 6 year warranty from RS. Might not be quite as good a TV but it's only for the bedroom and the warranty is probably worth more to me.

michael87

Novice Member
55XH9005 looks a decent bet at £599. Had been looking out for the 9505 - anybody have any thoughts as to whether it's worth waiting for that to drop in price, or whether it's worth the extra £300 over the 9005?

I'd be using it exclusively for streaming - sports and films mainly. Sat face on so viewing angles not really a concern.

Happy to go up to around £1,000 but if I can get what I need for a lot less then that would be a bonus...

Fleaman101

55XH9005 looks a decent bet at £599. Had been looking out for the 9505 - anybody have any thoughts as to whether it's worth waiting for that to drop in price, or whether it's worth the extra £300 over the 9005?

I'd be using it exclusively for streaming - sports and films mainly. Sat face on so viewing angles not really a concern.

Happy to go up to around £1,000 but if I can get what I need for a lot less then that would be a bonus...

Personally I don't think the benefits of the 9505 are worth the few hundred pound difference over the 9005. Reflective coating may be worth something to you depending on your environment but as we tend to switch most processing off the X1 differences are probably not going to matter to us? Unfortunately I missed a 75XH9005 the other day and there's only the 75XH8096, so will refresh tomorrow... and the next... etc.

Bastille

I’d say the 9505 is definitely worth the extra, particularly for the better local dimming and proper HDR performance.

michael87

Novice Member
Personally I don't think the benefits of the 9505 are worth the few hundred pound difference over the 9005. Reflective coating may be worth something to you depending on your environment but as we tend to switch most processing off the X1 differences are probably not going to matter to us? Unfortunately I missed a 75XH9005 the other day and there's only the 75XH8096, so will refresh tomorrow... and the next... etc.
I’d say the 9505 is definitely worth the extra, particularly for the better local dimming and proper HDR performance.

Cheers both. Might give it a month or so to see what prices look like then and weigh things up. I'm upgrading from an 8 yr old non-Smart 40" Samsung so I'm sure either would do the job nicely, but better HDR performance might just swing it. Good luck with the endless refreshing Fleaman!

smcky75

Novice Member
How have I only just found this forum? ---no need to answer that one.

This may be a daft question but...I take it all the refubs on the Sony site are Grade A, or is there a way to identify if this is not the case?

Thanks.

Newguy356

How have I only just found this forum? ---no need to answer that one.

This may be a daft question but...I take it all the refubs on the Sony site are Grade A, or is there a way to identify if this is not the case?

Thanks.
next to the model number it sa it’s .a to indicate it is grade a. There has been cases that people have ordered a grade a and had to return because it wasn’t quite at that standard

AlexCTv

Novice Member
I don't think the viewing time resets if they do a panel replacement, so yours probably just has a new panel fitted. Check to make sure there aren't any signs of burn in using test slides.
The Sony centres guys told me with the oleds that Sony don't replace panels as it's not worth it to them economically. They just replace the TV for a customer.

dan8204

Managed to snag one of the 55 9005 off there today, is there anyway to tell what exactly it was refurbished for?
My bigger worries is a panel refurb that has not been done properly,

AlexCTv

Novice Member
Are you happy with tv's condition on delivery (when it arrives)? Was looking to buy the 55" version.
I'll let you know tomorrow if it arrives then. Have a chat to them on the phone, I had my mind put at ease. These should be high grade refurbs without any cosmetic damage or panel issues. Under 50 hours of usage, mostly open box returns

Dodgexander

Looks like its got to the time of year when prices on stock is good again.
I like the look of the 43XG70 for £269, looking for something for the bedroom. Not sure how good it is though, would like a half decent smart system and there's not much online about what this one includes.

The 43XG80 is only £60 more, but when into that price range I'd rather go for something like the entry level LG with a 6 year warranty from RS. Might not be quite as good a TV but it's only for the bedroom and the warranty is probably worth more to me.
Not sure Sony's are the best choices for bedroom TVs unless you always have the lights on. They use IPS panels at 43". Can't complain for the price though.

Its definitely worth the extra, the XH9005 isn't a capable HDR TV as it can't get bright enough.
Is the 65A8 at 1300 including the 5 year extended warranty a good price?
Yes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett