Bargain Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

mowglii

Novice Member
I've been humming and harring for a couple of weeks now looking to buy my first TV.

I've decided that 50" is as large as my space will allow me to go and have upped my initial budget as I've researched the benefits.

Having been looking at the LG 49UM7400 for ~£350, I've now found the Sony refurb centre.
I don't really want to spend much more than £400 and want a TV decent for gaming primarily (only Xbox One S).

I'm after advice on if these TV's pictured are good value for money, the differences between them and if its worth waiting a month or 2 before buying a TV (If they drop in price?)
Any other advice will be well received

Thanks in advance

1594629555857.png

Dodgexander

I've been humming and harring for a couple of weeks now looking to buy my first TV.

I've decided that 50" is as large as my space will allow me to go and have upped my initial budget as I've researched the benefits.

Having been looking at the LG 49UM7400 for ~£350, I've now found the Sony refurb centre.
I don't really want to spend much more than £400 and want a TV decent for gaming primarily (only Xbox One S).

I'm after advice on if these TV's pictured are good value for money, the differences between them and if its worth waiting a month or 2 before buying a TV (If they drop in price?)
Any other advice will be well received

Thanks in advance

View attachment 1333620
See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

If you are happy with the traits of VA, the XG83 higher spec than the other two. It uses a 120hz panel for better motion. The others are the same TVs, only with different software and they use 60hz IPS panels.

So if you choose which panel type you prefer, it makes your decision easier.

I would personally not upgrade to any of these models, and would save up for the Sony 49XG9005 instead, or if that is out of reach, keep what I have for another year and pick up a deal around this time next year on the new 49XH9505. Reasoning? You won't get a very future proof TV unless you buy one that has good local dimming and high enough peak brightness to use HDR. TVs cheaper don't make this cut, and therefore have picture quality issues with HDR such as the picture looking too dark or washed out. This is even more important if you are a gamer, as many titles now and in the future are in HDR.

mowglii

Novice Member
See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

If you are happy with the traits of VA, the XG83 higher spec than the other two. It uses a 120hz panel for better motion. The others are the same TVs, only with different software and they use 60hz IPS panels.

So if you choose which panel type you prefer, it makes your decision easier.

I would personally not upgrade to any of these models, and would save up for the Sony 49XG9005 instead, or if that is out of reach, keep what I have for another year and pick up a deal around this time next year on the new 49XH9505. Reasoning? You won't get a very future proof TV unless you buy one that has good local dimming and high enough peak brightness to use HDR. TVs cheaper don't make this cut, and therefore have picture quality issues with HDR such as the picture looking too dark or washed out. This is even more important if you are a gamer, as many titles now and in the future are in HDR.
Thank you for such a comprehensive reply, top notch foruming sir.
I think I will create a new thread, provide some details and ask you for some recommendations so as not to dilute this thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom