Bargain Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

SirStocky

Due to my budget I discounted OLEDs so can't really comment. However, when researching came across a lot trusted people (HDTVTest, RTINGS, Digital Trends etc.) saying that PQ on Sony xh9xxx is comparable to OLEDs, particularly the xh95. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

As for the size, when the TV is off you walk into the room, looks MASSIVE! When on, its much more immersive due to its size and I think that with an 85" the experience will be that much more immersive.
Well after testing a lot of content over the weekend I simply was not happy with the slight banding on the panel and vignette in one of the corners so it’s going back. Decided OLED really isn’t for me and likely to wait to the end of year for an X95J depending on how it reviews

rejourda

Standard Member
My Sony X95 came today and Iam really happy with it , everything like new. No problem at the moment working with my non 4k amp, which I am happy about.

The thing that worries me is the feet, It slides everywhere on the glass stand. I have managed to put some sticky pads down to stop the movement but I have kids and I do not trust them.

Can anybody recommend table top stand for a 65inch tv?

bydandie

My Sony X95 came today and Iam really happy with it , everything like new. No problem at the moment working with my non 4k amp, which I am happy about.

The thing that worries me is the feet, It slides everywhere on the glass stand. I have managed to put some sticky pads down to stop the movement but I have kids and I do not trust them.

Can anybody recommend table top stand for a 65inch tv?
Amazon product

When does the refurb store tend to refresh its stock? I'm looking at a 75" XH9505 and if they are £1499 then that's a massive saving? Can you get extended warranties on these refurbs

bydandie

When does the refurb store tend to refresh its stock? I'm looking at a 75" XH9505 and if they are £1499 then that's a massive saving? Can you get extended warranties on these refurbs
Ever Thursday usually 0830-0930. 5yrs warranty can be added afterwards in the first year but shop around.

Ever Thursday usually 0830-0930. 5yrs warranty can be added afterwards in the first year but shop around.
Shop around for the warranty? I'll have a look Thursday morning. Do these refurbs tend to be good units or is there a fair share of ppl on here that have issues with some?

bydandie

Shop around for the warranty? I'll have a look Thursday morning. Do these refurbs tend to be good units or is there a fair share of ppl on here that have issues with some?
Most have been like new, but there have been a couple of defects. Mine was still in the wrapping with an hours usage (and that included their testing)

You can buy the warranty from any Sony shop but you can say you were offered a discount elsewhere.

nictry

Distinguished Member

This thread will answer your questions.

Abizzle

After such a promising start, I'm having to report with a heavy heart, my newly received 8 day old A85 is officially dead. :(

Last night was watching some Netflix when all of a sudden a red vertical line appeared right in the middle of the screen. So I turned the TV off and on again to restart the TV. Nothing but the vertical line appears for a second and then the TV switches off and doesn't come on at all. The dreaded red standby light blinks 4 times. :facepalm:

Called Sony Centre and told them as its only been a week and it's a refurbished TV, the same problem may have been originally fixed and sold to me only for it to reoccur again. Therefore rather than this happening again and again. I just want a replacement TV. Brand new please.

The sales guy said he'll notify Sony of the problem and my request and see what they come back with in 24hrs. Mentioning they are usually pretty good about things like this.

Not holding my breath, but seeing that there aren't any refurbished A85's available on their site, hoping they will agree to my request.

Will update tomorrow.

Abizzle

Yup I was about to change my order from the A85 (which is going back this week as I'm not happy with it)
What weren't you happy with? Details please.

Dodgexander

After such a promising start, I'm having to report with a heavy heart, my newly received 8 day old A85 is officially dead. :(

Last night was watching some Netflix when all of a sudden a red vertical line appeared right in the middle of the screen. So I turned the TV off and on again to restart the TV. Nothing but the vertical line appears for a second and then the TV switches off and doesn't come on at all. The dreaded red standby light blinks 4 times. :facepalm:

Called Sony Centre and told them as its only been a week and it's a refurbished TV, the same problem may have been originally fixed and sold to me only for it to reoccur again. Therefore rather than this happening again and again. I just want a replacement TV. Brand new please.

The sales guy said he'll notify Sony of the problem and my request and see what they come back with in 24hrs. Mentioning they are usually pretty good about things like this.

Not holding my breath, but seeing that there aren't any refurbished A85's available on their site, hoping they will agree to my request.

Will update tomorrow.
Sorry to hear about the problem. Its the gamble you take when you buy the refurbs unfortunately. When I bought my Panasonic DX902 from their eBay refurb store I found it had a fault with its HDMI ports. I returned it too them, they repaired it and returned it back to me.

All of these TVs are refurbished, which in layman terms means they have usually been fixed by a repair centre and sold on. You won't get a new TV as a replacement, but probably a repair for the TV you have, or a replacement refurb. Point being, since the TVs aren't brand new to begin with, whichever you receive will have been something that probably had a fault before.

Even if you buy a TV new, you aren't entitled for a new replacement unless you return it within the first 28 days or whatever return policy the shop has.

Abizzle

Might be better to have mines fixed then, as the problem seems to be the Power board. Straight swap. As the screen uniformity etc. were really good, so at least I get to keep that. :thumbsdow

SirStocky

Might be better to have mines fixed then, as the problem seems to be the Power board. Straight swap. As the screen uniformity etc. were really good, so at least I get to keep that. :thumbsdow
Yeah power board an easy fix really if panel is a good one I’d hang onto it. I’ve decided I really on’t really want the OLED panel lottery so I’m going to draw a line under it all and maybe look at the X95J later in the year when prices come down

Devonshire

I tried the same thing with my faulty refurbished A9. They said there's no way they could replace it with a new one. They did give me a good deal on a new one though, so if you decide you don't want your TV repaired, that's another potential avenue to explore.

Stein67

Nope, the X85 and X95 only get eARC. But TBH, I think that's a good compromise - 2.1 has a limited use case beyond gaming for the foreseeable future?
Cheers mate. I'm looking for a new monitor/tv for the gaming room and wondered what's been going on this past few months with the XH9005.

I have a 65" XG95 that I got, practically new, from the Sony refurb (via my local Sony shop) but that's in the living room. Gaming is very good on it, to be honest.

But need something, as I said, for the gaming room. Going to build my new PC in a few days and need a screen pronto. Will also be getting an XBOX and PS5 soon so ideally would prefer 2.1.

Have been considering the Q80T but price has jumped again on that.

Abizzle

I tried the same thing with my faulty refurbished A9. They said there's no way they could replace it with a new one. They did give me a good deal on a new one though, so if you decide you don't want your TV repaired, that's another potential avenue to explore.
Could you just PM me the difference in the deal they gave you on a new one vs the refurb one. That way I can push for a similar deal if its good enough. Thanks :thumbsup:

Devonshire

Could you just PM me the difference in the deal they gave you on a new one vs the refurb one. That way I can push for a similar deal if its good enough. Thanks :thumbsup:
I discussed it openly in this thread on page 11 as I wanted people's view on the deal.

To summarise, the refurb was £999 with 1 year warranty. New, the TV was selling for £1699 at the time. They offered me a new one for £1300. Apparently this is cost price.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021