Bargain Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

shyam91

Novice Member
UPDATE

Received my refurbished, Grade A, A85BU today. Was at work so Mrs took delivery. Told her to check box for damage etc.

When I got home the box was used but structurally sound. However I noticed it said A8 on the outside. I thought "here we go" @Issues.

I quickly unpacked it and checked the TV sticker on the back and it said A85 and the remote was metallic, so looks like they just used the standard A8 box.

Next, no stand feet.......or was there. Silly me the top foam was stuck in the top of the box and for about 10mins I'm rummaging around looking for it. F'ing and blinding at no feet. Then looked at the quick guide and there was some kind of box in the top on the picture. Looked in the big outer box and pulled out the foam and it was there LOL :facepalm:

Right, set it all up and dialled in the AVS Forum settings for HDR. Attached below.
View attachment 1459033
Once calibrated, I went straight onto YouTube and ran some oled screen burn check video that cycled through all the colours. Everything clear. I tried really hard to look for banding, dirty screen, dead pixel etc. But nothing. Great so far. :smashin:

Next up was the grey cards from 0% through to 50% in increments to check screen uniformity. Now I have included pictures below, however I just wanted to point out, to my eye when I ran through the screens, I tried very hard to find an issue, but I could not see anything. So I got a perfect screen! Wow!

However, even though my eye could not see it, the phone camera picked up a little between 2.5-10%. Vincent Teoh of HDTVtest finds common uniformity shadows in and around 5-10% screens but says its perfectly acceptable and gives the screens the a OK. Mines at 5% is better than majority of the ones Vincent reviewed.

So here are the screens starting from 0%, then 2.5%, 5%, 10%, 12.5%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30% & finally 35%.

View attachment 1459039View attachment 1459040View attachment 1459041View attachment 1459042View attachment 1459043View attachment 1459044View attachment 1459045View attachment 1459046View attachment 1459047View attachment 1459048

Again, my eye didn't see any of this, sitting 4 feet away from it. But the camera picked up some shading at 2.5% and 5%. It starts clearing up at 7.5%. By 10% it virtually gone and from 15% onwards is clean all the way through.

Make of that what you will, personally I'm very happy as I didn't see anything and it took a camera to pick it up.

Finally I pulled up the service menu using the display, 5, v+, power steps. And to my surprise, I hot the jackpot!

View attachment 1459051

The panel and the TV itself had only done 4hrs in total! See figures at bottom. Wow, was happy if I got 100hrs, but 4hrs must have been a show demo unit or a customer return after using it once. Nice! :D

The only downside is Android. I'm not too fussed about the layout, but it sometimes freezes on apps like YouTube. And wouldn't play 4k hdr mp4, mkv files off USB using its own mediaplayer. I then tried it on VLC and the same. Finally got them to work using Kodi, already installed on the TV. Everything worked perfectly on Kodi. So some bugs to fix there.

Oh, there was a little signed refurbished checklist for remote, stand, user guide etc. Dated 27 Jan 2021.

The sound is pretty clear and overall good. Lacking a little in the bass department but hey, they're TV speakers. They definitely disperse the sound a little left and right away from the TV as well.
Thanks for the nice review. I spoke with them today and gave me 120GBP for 5 year warranty.
I will order them next week once i move home.
Do you have issues casting 4k hrd file from laptop?

Viraj

Novice Member
What are peoples thoughts on the 77 AG9 refurb prices once the new 2021 models hit the stores? <£2k ?

titanman

I ended up paying over the phone

Not with Centres Direct but with Samsung! Barclaycard had no idea what was up and neither did Samsung. Actually I had the same issue with O2.

I think it's a Chrome issue (you're going to tell me you're not using Chrome now lol). When I tried the purchase in Edge, went through smoothly :)

MRJ87

Novice Member
Not with Centres Direct but with Samsung! Barclaycard had no idea what was up and neither did Samsung. Actually I had the same issue with O2.

I think it's a Chrome issue (you're going to tell me you're not using Chrome now lol). When I tried the purchase in Edge, went through smoothly :)

I tried on Firefox too and it still didn't work. I'll try on Edge next week.

rejourda

Standard Member

I did use edge :). However it was the wife's card and I was deferentially going to have a problem as she told me I was only allowed to have a 55". Ordered a 65 when she left the room and as our tv is only 50" hopefully she will not notice the difference.

titanman

I did use edge :). However it was the wife's card and I was deferentially going to have a problem as she told me I was only allowed to have a 55". Ordered a 65 when she left the room and as our tv is only 50" hopefully she will not notice the difference.

This is when you act shocked when it arrives and say 'oh gosh they must measure them differently these days. Looks good though, doesn't it?'.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Or the old....

They've sent the wrong one for the same price, it's an even bigger bargain, if we send it back we'll get a smaller TV with less value for money, like when you buy clothes on sale that will fit you once you've been on your diet a little longer (sshhh..... they'll never fit, and don't ever bring it up)

rejourda

Standard Member
I am definitely going to use all the above. I am more worried about the TV being in good working order than what the wife might throw at me :)

Dodgexander

What are peoples thoughts on the 77 AG9 refurb prices once the new 2021 models hit the stores? <£2k ?
You mean predictions on price? I'm not sure if it will go that low. It works on a supply and demand basis so they may keep the price high on the 77" models if they don't have a lot of them. I've seen some TVs priced quite high stuck on the store for some time.

Of course if they stay for sale, once we start to see the 21 TVs get into the refurbished store (usually around January each year) that may change.

petegabbitas

Novice Member
In process of upgrading some of my old kit with used/refurb stuff.

Got my eye on a 55in 9505. What's the drill for the Sony site updates? Is it refresh the page from 9am Thursdays?

MRJ87

Novice Member
In process of upgrading some of my old kit with used/refurb stuff.

Got my eye on a 55in 9505. What's the drill for the Sony site updates? Is it refresh the page from 9am Thursdays?

Pretty much yeah, although a couple weeks ago it updated at around 5pm on the Thursday so in theory could be any time. In an online chat with the site they also told be it's been updated in the Friday before also.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021