Bargain Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

Kepler17

Standard Member
Will the xf9005 be likely to drop even further in price (whenever it is stock) according to previous years over the next few months, or are the prices bottomed out with the refurbished stock? Though, perhaps the current situation could cause it to be a little different this time out. Interested in hearing how past years have gone; I'm currently on the search for a 55/58-65 inch TV for my bedroom, but £550 is just out of my budget despite it being an obviously fantastic value TV at that price.

Dodgexander

I don't think it will come down in price more than this. It's a 2018 model and for the cost it would take to make the TVs I am sure the refurbished models are selling for far less.

The 55" XF9005 seems in your budget, perhaps you could buy the TV now and add a warranty later? Best talk to the Sony centre about that though.

You still get the standard 1 year anyway. Which is all the warranty Sony give to their new TVs. Of course there's no extra 4-5 years on top, but those are store promotional warranties. Not manufacturer.

Kepler17

Standard Member
I should have added an asterisk to the 65" part - I saw the Hisense 65" b7100 going for less than £450 which was certainly alluring and that was fresh in my mind at the time, though I know that it's an inferior TV and can't be compared to the xf9005 (or even gx800?).

Right now I'm more drawn towards the panasonic gx800/820, which would give 3 more inches and cost £150 less than the xf9005 if I can snag the deal. I know you're not a big fan of the TV because of the high price point for the 60hz panel (I've read plenty of your posts and comments - thanks for being so helpful), but at £400 I think it's too hard for me to not get it. I'm not too worried about the 1 year warranty.

Dodgexander

I should have added an asterisk to the 65" part - I saw the Hisense 65" b7100 going for less than £450 which was certainly alluring and that was fresh in my mind at the time, though I know that it's an inferior TV and can't be compared to the xf9005 (or even gx800?).

Right now I'm more drawn towards the panasonic gx800/820, which would give 3 more inches and cost £150 less than the xf9005 if I can snag the deal. I know you're not a big fan of the TV because of the high price point for the 60hz panel (I've read plenty of your posts and comments - thanks for being so helpful), but at £400 I think it's too hard for me to not get it. I'm not too worried about the 1 year warranty.
The Hisense B7100 will be similar to the GX800. That's why the GX800 is mentioned in the special mention section of my best buy guide. Its effectively an over-priced budget TV. You really should not be pitting it up against the Sony XF9005 as that TV is a lot, lot better.

In your shoes if you can go bigger I'd pick up the Hisense B7100 at 65" over the Panasonic and if you intend to use HDR with the TV, go for the Sony XF9005.

ngac

Just seen this thread, i was looking at a 55AG8 via a work scheme and it was 1k with 5 year warranty refurb. I didnt really need anything this expensive but all the 9005 seem to have gone. What do people think? wait for better deal or is this hot?

thedoswells

Just seen this thread, i was looking at a 55AG8 via a work scheme and it was 1k with 5 year warranty refurb. I didnt really need anything this expensive but all the 9005 seem to have gone. What do people think? wait for better deal or is this hot?
it’s a very nice tv.
if you are a gamer, or you dont need the better built in sound, then there are better options.
the main strengths of the Sony are:
much better than average built in sound (but not like a good soundbar)
very good upscaling of lower quality content
very good motion
Not so good for gaming as refresh rates are poor, and the os is pretty weak.

alternatives would be the Panasonic gz950 on their refurb site, or maybe a new LG b9 if you can stretch to it.

cheers

reynol5

Standard Member
I received my new TV yesterday (refurb 55xf9005). Love it! The picture is fantastic and the sound is pretty reasonable. The TV is brand new with all the protective packaging still on so a cracking deal. I assume the first buyer bought a 65 and 55 to check for the right size and sent this one back. Anyone on the fence just buy one!

Can confirm that the menus are slow though! Not a huge issue.

thanks @Dodgexander for the advice

chigz

Managed to get the 55 XF9005! Gutted I missed the costco deal a few ago but thought this was too good a price to miss. Any ideas how I add the warranty or if you think its worth paying for?

JLW75

Standard Member
Managed to get the 55 XF9005! Gutted I missed the cost deal a few ago but thought this was too good a price to miss. Any ideas how I add the warranty or if you think its worth paying for?
You beat me to it, well done 👍

BigTelHols

Managed to get the 55 XF9005! Gutted I missed the costco deal a few ago but thought this was too good a price to miss. Any ideas how I add the warranty or if you think its worth paying for?
I had to ring up to add the 5 year warranty to a 65" XG9505.

GadgetObsessed

65Ag9 was mispriced at £1549,at least one person got it 👍
That was not a misprice.
I paid the same for mine a couple of months ago and ordered it over the phone. I also paid about £170 extra for a 5 year guarantee.
This weekend they also had the 65AG8 for £1349 (or maybe £1399 cannot remember.)

FubarKid

I
That was not a misprice.
I paid the same for mine a couple of months ago and ordered it over the phone. I also paid about £170 extra for a 5 year guarantee.
This weekend they also had the 65AG8 for £1349 (or maybe £1399 cannot remember.)
I know this was £1549 in a sale 3 months ago but this was a misprice as it went up to £2149 after a few mins,the 65xf9005 was priced at £749 but also increased in price to £799 after 2 mins,clearly an error was made as they don't have a sale on at the mo..

Last edited:

Dodgexander

The prices fluctuate a lot, its the same with the Panasonic outlet. I've noticed once one TV becomes popular it tends to go up in price again (presumably when stock runs low). But this is part of the game with these deals. You gotta sweep when the price is right. These prices don't follow any trends like the new TVs do, so they are all manually set on a supply and demand basis in their repair shop.

Cheshire Cat

Standard Member
Have got my eye on the 55XG8096 for £399. Does this have an IPS panel (need wide viewing angles)? Also, how can you tell whether it’s a Grade A or B refurb?

JLW75

Standard Member
Have got my eye on the 55XG8096 for £399. Does this have an IPS panel (need wide viewing angles)? Also, how can you tell whether it’s a Grade A or B refurb?
This says IPS
I looked at the Sony site and it has a .A after it, so assume it's the A grade spec.