Bargain Expired Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

You'll have to ask the Mrs or the kids - I sit directly in front! Kidding.

Actually, given its RRP, its price elsewhere, what I paid for it and how pleasantly surprised and pleased I am with the sound quality I've refused to do too much post purchase analysis in case I find something! But you have to appreciate the soundbars are inherently limited at producing true surround sound. If you can get over that(took me while) you'll be fine.
Aye that's the thing, I have a Denon which keeps me happy (even more so after hooking the Sony up to it). Unless the Sony will be better than that then it's little point.

UPDATE

Received my refurbished, Grade A, A85BU today. Was at work so Mrs took delivery. Told her to check box for damage etc.

When I got home the box was used but structurally sound. However I noticed it said A8 on the outside. I thought "here we go" @Issues.

I quickly unpacked it and checked the TV sticker on the back and it said A85 and the remote was metallic, so looks like they just used the standard A8 box.

Next, no stand feet.......or was there. Silly me the top foam was stuck in the top of the box and for about 10mins I'm rummaging around looking for it. F'ing and blinding at no feet. Then looked at the quick guide and there was some kind of box in the top on the picture. Looked in the big outer box and pulled out the foam and it was there LOL :facepalm:

Right, set it all up and dialled in the AVS Forum settings for HDR. Attached below.
A8 Calibration.jpeg
Once calibrated, I went straight onto YouTube and ran some oled screen burn check video that cycled through all the colours. Everything clear. I tried really hard to look for banding, dirty screen, dead pixel etc. But nothing. Great so far. :smashin:

Next up was the grey cards from 0% through to 50% in increments to check screen uniformity. Now I have included pictures below, however I just wanted to point out, to my eye when I ran through the screens, I tried very hard to find an issue, but I could not see anything. So I got a perfect screen! Wow!

However, even though my eye could not see it, the phone camera picked up a little between 2.5-10%. Vincent Teoh of HDTVtest finds common uniformity shadows in and around 5-10% screens but says its perfectly acceptable and gives the screens the a OK. Mines at 5% is better than majority of the ones Vincent reviewed.

So here are the screens starting from 0%, then 2.5%, 5%, 10%, 12.5%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30% & finally 35%.

IMG_20210211_202822.jpgIMG_20210211_202831.jpgIMG_20210211_202841.jpgIMG_20210211_202852.jpgIMG_20210211_202904.jpgIMG_20210211_202916.jpgIMG_20210211_202927.jpgIMG_20210211_202939.jpgIMG_20210211_202951.jpgIMG_20210211_203001.jpg

Again, my eye didn't see any of this, sitting 4 feet away from it. But the camera picked up some shading at 2.5% and 5%. It starts clearing up at 7.5%. By 10% it virtually gone and from 15% onwards is clean all the way through.

Make of that what you will, personally I'm very happy as I didn't see anything and it took a camera to pick it up.

Finally I pulled up the service menu using the display, 5, v+, power steps. And to my surprise, I hot the jackpot!

IMG_20210211_202025.jpg

The panel and the TV itself had only done 4hrs in total! See figures at bottom. Wow, was happy if I got 100hrs, but 4hrs must have been a show demo unit or a customer return after using it once. Nice! :D

The only downside is Android. I'm not too fussed about the layout, but it sometimes freezes on apps like YouTube. And wouldn't play 4k hdr mp4, mkv files off USB using its own mediaplayer. I then tried it on VLC and the same. Finally got them to work using Kodi, already installed on the TV. Everything worked perfectly on Kodi. So some bugs to fix there.

Oh, there was a little signed refurbished checklist for remote, stand, user guide etc. Dated 27 Jan 2021.

The sound is pretty clear and overall good. Lacking a little in the bass department but hey, they're TV speakers. They definitely disperse the sound a little left and right away from the TV as well.

Last edited:
To cap it off, here are some pics of a TCL 4k HDR demo video I ran, to check and make sure I can see all the colour, detail, skin tones and erm... More definition lol o_O;)

IMG_20210211_203142.jpgIMG_20210211_203149.jpgIMG_20210211_203154.jpgIMG_20210211_203156.jpgIMG_20210211_203200.jpgIMG_20210211_203206.jpgIMG_20210211_203215.jpgIMG_20210211_203222.jpgIMG_20210211_203238.jpgIMG_20210211_203240.jpgIMG_20210211_203319.jpgIMG_20210211_203334.jpg

Maybe I missed it somewhere but how do you check the build date? Cant see it in the service menu so assuming must be somewhere else?

Maybe I missed it somewhere but how do you check the build date? Cant see it in the service menu so assuming must be somewhere else?
Sorry, my mistake. That was the kernel version date on Android system. :facepalm:

Mine arrived in original packaging with refurbished stickers minus the batteries for remote control. Soundbar and the subwoofer seemed virtually brand new! No signs of usage or any cosmetic damage anywhere.

I'm not an audiophile so wont attempt at providing a technical overview of sound quality. However, its most definitely a worthy upgrade from TVs own speakers, no questions asked!. I've had a 5.1 surround sound system in the past and tbh this is comparable to that and just as good, at least to my ears, especially when watching 4K UHD blu rays with Immersive AE switched on. It gives a definite illusion of surround sound and the subwoofer has a decent base and thump to it. I am streaming Apple TV, Netflix and Amazon via Apple TV 4K, again pleased with sound output there. Music via Bluetooth also sounds very good, in my opinion.

I would totally recommend this to anyone looking to upgrade their home cinema, perhaps not at the RRP but at refurbished price point definitely worth it.
It’s definitely an incredible purchase at the £189 I paid for sure, especially for Atmos etc. Still getting used to it, can’t quite find the perfect settings just yet for when watching normal TV. Dialogue seems ever so slightly lacking in punch and there’s almost zero bass from the settings I do like when at a quiet volume. Definitely recommend enabling the Dolby Speaker Virtualizer from the menu settings though. It’s 10x better than the all in one X8500 I had previously before returning after a day, but I think I still prefer my 6 year old LG NB3530a 2.1 and less power!

But, I highly recommend the Sony Refurbished section.. I’ve made 2 purchases now, both from the Birmingham store and have zero complaints from purchase, delivery, quality of product, help with return etc.

My a85 arrived today eventually managed to get to the service menu and if I’m correct this is 14 or 24 hours use?!

9A66A6A5-DF0C-4F61-A7F8-331C5BB27BE8.jpeg

14 hours. The w4 is the number of times it has been rebooted, or turned on and off (not sure which to be honest).
Thanks I wasnt sure which it was. Took me ages to get to the service menu but I was surprised when I did to see so little hours.

I have to admit to being a little shocked by the size of the tv (65”) seems very very big. Perhaps someone else found the same and returned it after a few days?

oh and I think I must have added about 10 to the on off count trying to access the service menu 😂

I have to admit to being a little shocked by the size of the tv (65”) seems very very big. Perhaps someone else found the same and returned it after a few days?
I'd say 9 times out of 10 you get used to it, sometimes people find a TV too big but its rare. Most people don't view close enough to even discern a difference between a good HD and 4k source, so even 65" tends to be on the small size from that point of view.

But everyone is different, there are still people who think a 43" is too big, and people who think a 110" is too small.

I'd say 9 times out of 10 you get used to it, sometimes people find a TV too big but its rare. Most people don't view close enough to even discern a difference between a good HD and 4k source, so even 65" tends to be on the small size from that point of view.

But everyone is different, there are still people who think a 43" is too big, and people who think a 110" is too small.
Thanks I’m going to give it a few days and see. Funny how I was even thinking of going up to 75” but I’m pleased I didn’t now

TBH, even though I measured the 49" it was slightly bigger than I thought. That's more because of space constraints though

Totally agree! I'm from the second camp. Went from 50" plasma to 75" 9005. Have had it for a few weeks, after day 5 or so, started thinking should've gone for 85". An 85" did come up on refurb last week but I was too late.

Totally agree! I'm from the second camp. Went from 50" plasma to 75" 9005. Have had it for a few weeks, after day 5 or so, started thinking should've gone for 85". An 85" did come up on refurb last week but I was too late.
I also had a 50" plasma, down to a 42" LCD for a few weeks now up to the 65" A85. I'm going to see how I go over the next couple of days but it does still feel too big at the moment

I've also got the nagging "OLED burn in risk" voice, watched sky sports last night and turned brightness down which was fine. Went to watch amazon prime film and got worried about the letter box on 16:9. So if those worries remain it may well be a change to an XH95 anyway even if I get used to the size!?

I also had a 50" plasma, down to a 42" LCD for a few weeks now up to the 65" A85. I'm going to see how I go over the next couple of days but it does still feel too big at the moment

I've also got the nagging "OLED burn in risk" voice, watched sky sports last night and turned brightness down which was fine. Went to watch amazon prime film and got worried about the letter box on 16:9. So if those worries remain it may well be a change to an XH95 anyway even if I get used to the size!?
Due to my budget I discounted OLEDs so can't really comment. However, when researching came across a lot trusted people (HDTVTest, RTINGS, Digital Trends etc.) saying that PQ on Sony xh9xxx is comparable to OLEDs, particularly the xh95. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

As for the size, when the TV is off you walk into the room, looks MASSIVE! When on, its much more immersive due to its size and I think that with an 85" the experience will be that much more immersive.

Due to my budget I discounted OLEDs so can't really comment. However, when researching came across a lot trusted people (HDTVTest, RTINGS, Digital Trends etc.) saying that PQ on Sony xh9xxx is comparable to OLEDs, particularly the xh95. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

As for the size, when the TV is off you walk into the room, looks MASSIVE! When on, its much more immersive due to its size and I think that with an 85" the experience will be that much more immersive.
Yes it does look huge when turned off I’ll see how I go with it

Yes I had read that about the xh95 as well and that was the route I was going until I got the deal on the a85. I’ll see if I can come to accept the perceived risk or not? I’ve been pretty impressed with the a85 so far it just would perhaps Ben nice to not have any nagging burn in / image retention worries

The saga is over :D

I finally got my replacement TV from Sony (not Centres Direct) and they unpacked in front of me and set it on the stand. Took the old TV away.

Sony and the service centre were not lying when they said it should be brand new. 0 hours :D

Now just to add the extended 5 year warranty at Centres Direct.

Patience paid off haha.

Just a tip - when you are dealing with Sony direct, you will obviously speak to multiple people and not the same agent. They ask you to email responses to them and go from there. Always email and CALL straight after to talk to them. Otherwise you will encounter delays as there are diagnostics missed by previous agents etc.

Also make sure to give them the background to the issue each time you speak to them as that seems to hasten their actions.

Happy!

Congrats 😎

I've always dealt with my local(ish) centre rather than calling Sony Direct and found they were very open to doing a deal on the warranty and they delivered it themselves after checking it in the shop.

This is with a refurb.

congrats @titanman been an epic journey hope all ok now?

I’ve got the a85 on my wall mount now and feel a lot more comfortable with the size. The only thing now is I’ve noticed a bit of panel distortion near one of the bottom corners. I suspect possible where its been delivered used for a short while and then returned?

Run a grey scale test and it is darker on that corner (test of the panel seems ok?!) I’m not sure if it’s normal or not? Going to call the store tomorrow

KD55AG9BU.A up today ...bite the bullet?

There’s more people than not having good experiences, judging by the people who say they’ve bought compared to those saying they have issues.

You’re covered by the Sony warranty and making a big saving. 😃

Just bought the 65 9505 as well - BUT I will need a centre stand for it - anyone know the vesa mount size for this?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom