1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony CDP-XE900E

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Dean, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Jst a quick review of this wonderful CD player for dishdoc. I bought this machine after having mistracking with a Marantz CD63SE and compared to that machine was better in pretty every level. It cost around £300 back in 98 but I managed to get it about £100 cheaper in a sale and it caught my attention cos it had got good reviews in all the main HiFi mags. The transport is excellent, the first sony CD player to use the fixed pick up mechanism that is found in the company's high end player. This tracking sstem is so fast and you can also scan for tracks at ultra high speed if you scan from pause. The rotatory knob that controls the tracks you want to play is extremely user friendly as is the display (which is still used in other companies CD players).

This would be no good if it doesn't sound up to much but it is a cracking budget CD player, compared to my old CD63SE it is richer and with a more extended bottom end, which is one the main things I like about the sound. The midrange and treble is sweet too rather than over empasized and it seems to pick up a lot of detail from CDs. I think only spending above £500 would you start to hear 'real' improvements to this player even by todays standards. I think the CDPXB930 replaced this CD player but I am happy to use the CDP900E for ages yet probably until it dies.

2. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Dean,

Thanks for that, mate. Got to be honest, I've never seen a review of this player, although i've had the player about 6/7 years now, have always been pleased with its performance(even when local dealers rubbished it). Love the transport mechanism too :thumbsup:

Are there any upgrade possabilities, i.e. keeping the transport and using an external DAC?

Thanks in advance,

Dishdoc :smashin: :smashin:

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yeah it's certainly possible, i think ppl have had good results even when using a DVD player as a transport with a decent DAC. Been tempted by a second hand TAG DAC, but I've run out of space on my old Atacama rack now :(

4. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hmmm, now have space on my atacama hifi rack, where would I look for a second hand DAC? e-bay?

Cheers for the reply

Dishdoc