1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Camcorders - PC style or 'Normal'

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Neiliboy, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi can anyone tell me if the shape of the camcorder makes any difference to its performance?

I was thinking of getting a Sony PC style 'upright' one as i like the size and shape, but thought its best to ask on here first.

Many thanks,

Neil

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upright cams are great for convenience and compactness, and in theory there is no difference in the components used for an upright cam or a conventional cam.

However, because of the compact design many cams have thir mics on top of the camcorder, right next to zoom lens and motor, on most that i've seen the mic is also right next to the major controls (i.e zoom), so it's been my experience that upright cameras have more handling noise etc.

You also tend to use the menu more as there is less external space for function buttons and things like hotshoe mounts.

My advice would be:

Avoid the JVC's

Definately avoid sony IP's

For quality go for a PC330 (preferably try and get a bargain with a PC120!, they were great cams, as they have been superceded you should get one fairly cheap, say around £650).

For absolute compact size look for a canon MV6/10

You will get better value buying a conventional cam, probably more connectivity (eg hotshoe, mic input), but they are bigger.

Having said that, the panasonic GS cameras are probably smaller in every dimension than a PC330.

3. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Roy - the PC330 was exactly the one i was thiking of going for. I dont want a particularly fancy camcorder, but it must be a sony as it will be compatible with my PC, DVD RW, Camera etc.

Now i've just got to go and get me a cheap one somewhere!

Many thanks,

Neil

4. erne

erne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The update to the pc330 the PC350 can be picked up 4 ubder £800
    I have one and am impressed

regards

ern