Question Sony Camcorder to DVD Recorder Issue

danieljamesphoto

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm hoping someone can help as i'm going mad with this issue.

I have a Sony Handycam CCD-TRV65E PAL Hi8 Camcorder which i'm trying to play tapes and record on to a Sony RDR-GX120 DVD Recorder. Should be simple enough I thought but I can't get them to talk to each other.

I've got the Red White Yellow cables out of the camcorder into the front sockets on the DVD Recorder and set the input accordingly. All loads up no problem (showing on the TV) for about 5 seconds then the video playback from the camcorder goes to a gray screen and when I click Record it says 'This picture cannot be recorded' with the audio still playing. It's a home movie so it shouldn't be a protection issue and i've tried the camcorder direct to the TV and it displays perfectly.

Any ideas please?

Welcome to the forum.

I suspect that the tape has been recorded in NTSC mode.... or is somehow outputting NTSC.

The RDRGX120 is capable of playing back NTSC... but unfortunately it is not capable of recording it.

Ah bah! thanks that was driving me mad, long shot but does the Panasonic DMR-ES20D as I may be able to use one of those? aside from that is there any kind of workaround? I have an Elgato Video Capture but that doesn't seem to be working either (very poor video quality showing)

Ah bah! thanks that was driving me mad, long shot but does the Panasonic DMR-ES20D as I may be able to use one of those?

Yes - I believe it will support that.

Change the setting in Setup / Connection / TV System to NTSC.

Thanks again for the help, i've got the Panasonic now but no remote with it (typical! - new one ordered though) it's connected ok and recorded but has like a black bar at the bottom of the screen (like it's not the right screen size), without the remote I can't see the settings but is this likely just something in the settings do you think?

Probably.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom