Sony Camcorder - Big Problems

craig9430

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ladies & Gents,

This is my first post and I have been recommended to come on here and post in my hour of need, I do hope you can help as I think I may be going bald with this!!

Apologies in advance for the length of this post, it is to merely give you as much information as possible in order to help

I have a Sony HDD DCR-SR72E Camcorder. I am trying to view my recordings for the first time on a Dell PC. To do this the manual prompts you to install a 'Picture Motion Browser' for view/edit facility. When I try to do this, after a couple of steps it asks me to connect the hardware via USB. When I do this I get an error message on my PC saying 'cannot confirm connection with camera' and on the LCD display on the camcorder is says 'preparing'. It freezes at this point.

When I go through an alternative route via device manager it prompts me that 'the driver is not installed, please insert installtion CD' Therefore a Catch 22 situation - neither route will work.

More worryingly, when I insert the Camcorder through USB is does not recognise through 'removable disk drive' on My Computer. Is there something which may be disabling the PC recogising this?

At first I thought it may be the USB, but my Ipod & Bluetooth connector works fine in ALL USB ports. The camcorder does not.

Please also note I have a DCR-N1 Digital Camera and I have the same problems with this as well.

If you require any more information please ask, I really am at my wits end with call centres, troubleshooters etc

Thanks
Craig

Can you try both camcorders on another PC and see what happens. A friend or neightbour's PC if you doin't have more than one at hoem. Or even one at work?

That will at least tell us if this it is the PC or the camcorders.

Let's see what you have been doing. You connect the USB "B" port on the camcorder to a USB "A" port on a PC, and nothing happens (forget any software for the time being). Is that correct?

Just to eliminate the obvious - the camcorder is on in the right mode (presumably VCR / playback) is it (if it needs to be?)?

Thanks for the replies so far.

The USB cable runs from the supplied sony camcorder docking station to the PC. The USB port I use is at the front of the PC, just as I use with my IPod. Apologies but I do not know what an 'A' & 'B' USB port it, excuse my ignorance.

The camcorder is set at the right settings as far as I can tell so far.

Strange thing for me is that the same USB port works when transfering my Ipod music or bluetooth connections. Without being technical, to me it seems that the USB works when outputing but when inputing hardware is involved it does not want to recognise it

I will try this on my laptop at work tomorrow to see if it works on that.

Any other ideas or help greatly appreciated

Craig

Ok I have tried the camcorder at work and it seems to be working fine.

The camcorder is recognised through the USB, installs it and appears in the removable disk drives on the PC in 'my computer'

Is it the PC which is the problem recognising the connection?

Ok I have tried the camcorder at work and it seems to be working fine.

The camcorder is recognised through the USB, installs it and appears in the removable disk drives on the PC in 'my computer'

Is it the PC which is the problem recognising the connection?
Would seem so... or Windows as set up
It is worth asking Sony .. or visiting thier user forums .If your ipod or other kit work it might be a known problem with another program or software causing the conflict

Still cant get this to work.

Could it perhaps be my McAfee firewall blocking the USB connection?

I am using XP at home (where is does not work

I am also using XP at work PC (where is works fine)

Suggests to me it must be the PC. I have a dell dimension E520 so it is fairly new.

If I were you I'd pull my Internet connection, disable McAfee (and anything else you might have running) and try to connect using the same USB cable that worked at work.

Other than that, I have to admit I am struggling.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom