1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Camcorder AV-in recording?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by 100mphplus, Jul 19, 2005.

1. 100mphplus

100mphplus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony TRV33E and a helmet cam that plugs into the AV-in socket. I also bought a remote control unit so that I can control the camcorder when it's tucked away in my back pack when recording on bike footage.

Everything plugs in fine and I get sound and image from the helmet cam when viewed through the 'VCR' function on the Camcorder, problem is when I press either of the record buttons on the remote or the Cam it tries to record to the memory card and not the tape!! If I scroll through the on screen menu and press record through that it records to tape though :confused:

Obviously the Std memory card fills up in about 1min so I then get an error message saying 'card full' and no recording starts. I've tried removing the card to see if it defaults to the tape, but I then get a 'no card' error message :confused:

I've looked through the Instruction manual and scanned through the Cam menu functions but can't find any options that instruct it to record to tape by default.

This is really P'ing me off as I've now had too many 'on bike' runs spoiled by lack of footage at the end. I'm off on holiday in a months time and need to get it sorted by then.

Can anyone help :lease:

Thanks in anticipation.

2. papabear

papabear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately you are in the same position as everyone else I've spoken to about this. The control record feature (ie recording from an outside source using AV input) can only be started from the REC button on the OSM.

Sorry I couldn't give you the solution. :suicide:

3. 100mphplus

100mphplus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently talking to some other head Cam users, there is a way to get the LANC working.

You have to start the recording via the OSM then the LANC will work from then on. Bit of an initial pain, but at least I won't have to keep getting the camera out of the back every time I want to start / finish recording.

4. papabear

papabear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    didn't think of that !!
    if you can figure it out letus know

thanks

5. 100mphplus

100mphplus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep it works!

Connect everything up, switch into 'VCR' mode, start recording via the OSM, then you can use the LANC to stop / start recording.

If you power down using the LANC though, you have to start recording again using the OSM.

When recording has been stopped, you still get the AV-In image showing on the screen and the camcorder will eventually auto power off after the specified time limit to save battery life, as it would in the 'Camera' mode.

It's a bit of a bodge, but it saves me having to get the camera out of my bag every time I want to start / stop recording when on the bike.