1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bulb

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by grahambateman, Nov 9, 2004.

1. grahambateman

grahambateman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a PJ approx 3 year old . I had 1300 hours showing and then the bulb popped !.
    I was told via another site , that bulbs dont pop , they usually deteriorate , which is reflected by the decreasing quality of the picture .
    Does anyone think i can take this issue up with Sony , or am i just waisting my time .
    Regards
    Graham :lease:

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Bulbs regularly go pop (or more accurately BANG)....... Usually the light output has weakened greatly before this happens as they age quite quickly, comparing a 1300 hour bulb with a new one you will see a far higher light output.... When to change the bulb is the $64000 question, most let it break...then change it....... Assuming the contents of the bulb has been contained within the lamp assembly, then just change the bulb (or get it done professionally if your not skilled in this), if the bulb has sprayed glass inside the unit then DO NOT POWER IT UP, take it for service and have all the bits removed before a new bulb is installed.... BTW 1300 hours might be considered average life unless SONY has some sort of bulb life warrenty which I doubt will apply........