Sony Bravia ZD9 HDR Owners Thread & Buying advice

Hmm, haven't had a chance to check the ZF9 thread on AVSF but I have read good comments on the ZF9 on here so am still interested. I know it can't match the ZD9 but it's still a decent TV.

Can't afford a Z9J, at least not at the moment. It would be an awesome TV to own and I have already heard it's a beast but unfortunately I would need a substantial injection of cash (which ain't gonna happen) if I ever wanted one.

PS. Thanks for the link but I can't read Polish :)

Google chrome Translate to English pretty please :)

Ahh, I see. This was why I was asking about your set up. I am not certain about 3D from other sources as I only watch them via a BD player, so I am wondering, though not 100% sure if there in lies the issue. Although I have used VCL, I have only used it on my pc, but not via my TV. Hopefully, someone with more experience with this will have an answer shortly.
That said, have you watched a 3D presentation using VCL with another monitor/tv in the past?
Hi i finally managed to play 3D.
I don`t know why but 3d won`t play from youtube or vcl maybe i have to do something in the settings in my pc but i don`t want to use so much time on that.
Only way i got 3D was when hooking up my harddrive to the usb input and it was fixed it was that easy.

Another thing i was wondering about is the blooming when the sony meny comes up, it`s not much to bother me but it only happens when the meny bar comes up.
When watching movies from the app, Vlc or usb drive the i see no blooming and black is almost ink black and picture quality is amazing and motion is good.
Is this something that happens to you to or something commen in all of the ZD9?

Hi i finally managed to play 3D.
I don`t know why but 3d won`t play from youtube or vcl maybe i have to do something in the settings in my pc but i don`t want to use so much time on that.
Only way i got 3D was when hooking up my harddrive to the usb input and it was fixed it was that easy.

Another thing i was wondering about is the blooming when the sony meny comes up, it`s not much to bother me but it only happens when the meny bar comes up.
When watching movies from the app, Vlc or usb drive the i see no blooming and black is almost ink black and picture quality is amazing and motion is good.
Is this something that happens to you to or something commen in all of the ZD9?
Hey mate, well done on sorting out the 3D, I have always been intrigued by USB ports on TVs, as I have always wondered if the speed is enough for use with 3D or HD images to the full spec, so am interested in what you see vs a 3D player via HDMI cable.

With regards to the blooming on the menu, that has been discussed in this forum and basically it is because you are literally not watching anything, so unlike a film with all the information on the brightest achievable whites and darkest achievable blacks, in a menu, as it is just for navigation purposes, we guess that Sony just didn't see the need as it's not like you will be watching the menu, if that makes sense. One of the best times for me is usually putting in a 4K blu ray and seeing it go from the menu to the feature as the screen change is instantly noticeable.
Hope it doesn't bother you though.

Tried out the 3d on this tv for the first time ever (had about 5 years now).

Played 300: Rise of an empire and say , I’m pretty impressed.

Gone on a bit of a spending spree tonight and bought a load more 3d films😬

Anybody recommend some extra pairs of 3d glasses? The tv only came with 2.

Hey mate, well done on sorting out the 3D, I have always been intrigued by USB ports on TVs, as I have always wondered if the speed is enough for use with 3D or HD images to the full spec, so am interested in what you see vs a 3D player via HDMI cable.

With regards to the blooming on the menu, that has been discussed in this forum and basically it is because you are literally not watching anything, so unlike a film with all the information on the brightest achievable whites and darkest achievable blacks, in a menu, as it is just for navigation purposes, we guess that Sony just didn't see the need as it's not like you will be watching the menu, if that makes sense. One of the best times for me is usually putting in a 4K blu ray and seeing it go from the menu to the feature as the screen change is instantly noticeable.
Hope it doesn't bother you though.
Hi sadly i don`t have bluray player to test out usb 3d vs bluray but i am guessing it will be the same as for me the usb went fine.
As for the blooming in the menu it dosen`t bother me
just wanted to know if it is a normal thing for everyone.

How you seen the new Sony Z9J and if how would you compare it to the Sony Z9D?
My local dealer just got the Z9J in stock but in the showroom.

You should try Avatar in 3D it`s one of the best 3d i have seen.

Do you mean where to get some or if you need to get some extra pairs?

Hi sadly i don`t have bluray player to test out usb 3d vs bluray but i am guessing it will be the same as for me the usb went fine.
As for the blooming in the menu it dosen`t bother me
just wanted to know if it is a normal thing for everyone.

How you seen the new Sony Z9J and if how would you compare it to the Sony Z9D?
My local dealer just got the Z9J in stock but in the showroom.
No, I have not seen it actually.

Hello all, compliments of the season!

Just finished Zack Snyders Justice League, which was interesting to see, especially given the screen ratio. Has anyone seen it?
Also, is Kong Vs Godzilla any good?

Hello all, compliments of the season!

Just finished Zack Snyders Justice League, which was interesting to see, especially given the screen ratio. Has anyone seen it?
Also, is Kong Vs Godzilla any good?

Seen them both and these 2 movies shine on my OLED over the ZD9 as both are low nit affair (under 600 nits).

Seen them both and these 2 movies shine on my OLED over the ZD9 as both are low nit affair (under 600 nits).
Ahh, that is interesting to hear. I thought you preferred the ZD9 over your OLED, but I can understand that it would vary depending on the film that you are watching.

Ahh, that is interesting to hear. I thought you preferred the ZD9 over your OLED, but I can understand that it would vary depending on the film that you are watching.
Hopefully the new QD-OLED will resolve this ongoing dilema of bright or black......bright LED picture or OLED black levels.

We should find out from the upcoming CES ..........! Fingers crossed although by the time I actually decide to cough up for 'something better' than my ZD9 there will likely be 'something even more better' on the horizon, lol.

Hopefully the new QD-OLED will resolve this ongoing dilema of bright or black......bright LED picture or OLED black levels.

We should find out from the upcoming CES ..........! Fingers crossed although by the time I actually decide to cough up for 'something better' than my ZD9 there will likely be 'something even more better' on the horizon, lol.

Meant to improve REC.2000 colour volume (80%) and do 1,000 nits (10% window). This means colours on peak highlights remain saturated instead of looking diluted.

We will know how it fairs well in the real world soon.

Yes. It's like tossing a coin. Sometimes the picture looks nice on the ZD9 and sometimes on the OLED but if you are looking for consistency when it comes to movies then OLED takes the crown by a small margin.

Yes. It's like tossing a coin. Sometimes the picture looks nice on the ZD9 and sometimes on the OLED but if you are looking for consistency when it comes to movies then OLED takes the crown by a small margin.
Okay, I actually thought you would say the ZD9 takes the crown by a small margin actually.

Good to know.

Hi, Just signed up to Disney+ and disappointed that the app on ZD9 doesn't support Atmos (I've got a ZD9 connected to a Denon X4400 and 5.1.4 speaker layout)
From what I've read here the app wont support Atmos, I've also got Sky and that is not Atmos either
Thus if I purchase a Fire TV Stick 4K Max and connect to an HDMI input on the ZD9 this will support Atmos and transfer the soundtrack to the Denon via the ARC cable ? or do I connect into the Denon as a source ?
One final question can I power the firestick from one of the ZD9 usb's ? as I only have a single 13a socket behind the TV

Hi, Just signed up to Disney+ and disappointed that the app on ZD9 doesn't support Atmos (I've got a ZD9 connected to a Denon X4400 and 5.1.4 speaker layout)
From what I've read here the app wont support Atmos, I've also got Sky and that is not Atmos either
Thus if I purchase a Fire TV Stick 4K Max and connect to an HDMI input on the ZD9 this will support Atmos and transfer the soundtrack to the Denon via the ARC cable ? or do I connect into the Denon as a source ?
One final question can I power the firestick from one of the ZD9 usb's ? as I only have a single 13a socket behind the TV

Hi mate, if you have a smart device such as iPhone or android phone, open Disney on that and cast it to the TV you should get atmos, alternatively you can install kodi, install the Disney add-on, sign in and get atmos that way

Anyone having problems while streaming Disney+ Imax Enhanced content?

I watched Black Widow and Thor: Ragnarok no problem, but both Shang-Chi and Black Panther have this odd pulsating colour thing going on. Network speed screwing up Dolby Vision?

Edit: A reboot sorted it. I figured it would be something like that as it looked like the DolbyVision 'layer' was being switched off and on - like when you pause a UHD.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that it may just be my ZD9, but it did an update about 2 months ago and since then it has rebooted itself more times than it had in the previous 5 years. It can happen at any time, when coming out of standby or in the middle of watching something; first the sound goes, then the Sony/Android boot screen comes up. It only takes 20-30 seconds or so but is incredible annoying especially as it had never really done it before the update

Anyone else had this issue recently?
Hey buddy, did you ever managed to get this fixed ? I’m curious as it sounds exactly the same as what mine does, did yours also crash like in my picture ? Many thanks,

Attachments

• 38703FDA-BB51-4757-B01F-8329C0B17F71.jpeg
    38703FDA-BB51-4757-B01F-8329C0B17F71.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 47
Hey buddy, did you ever managed to get this fixed ? I’m curious as it sounds exactly the same as what mine does, did yours also crash like in my picture ? Many thanks,
I have not managed to get rid of that. I've tried restarting, reset to factory defaults the whole lot and it is there. I think it is a new "feature" that came to stay.

I have not managed to get rid of that. I've tried restarting, reset to factory defaults the whole lot and it is there. I think it is a new "feature" that came to stay.
I have just learned to live with it - as soon as the sound goes I usually have to quickly grab a remote & pause whatever is on, as that is the sign that the reboot has started; I don't think it has been as bad the last few weeks and I don't think it has done a stealth update
Your pic is very familiar - that usually comes up at the end of the reboot & I have assumed it is just the tv going through the handshake with whatever device it is trying to connect with - typically SkyQ

As I typed that, it is always with SkyQ on - wonder if that is a factor?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom