Sony Bravia ZD9 HDR Owners Thread & Buying advice

Well what has impressed me most with mine is the standard HD stuff (1080p) - it looks fantastic (content providing).

Well what has impressed me most with mine is the standard HD stuff (1080p) - it looks fantastic (content providing).

The e6 remains a fantastic tv and quite relevant to today content.
Extra advantage is the availability in 55
The zd9 is also terrific and competively priced in the 65 and especially 75 versus oled. Obviously refined experience for HDR. Shame that Clanky OS as it would have been a slam dunk...

Curious to see what Sony will do with oled :)

@midknight you could be right but circa 20 percent price reduction by q1 is totally plausible for 75zd9
Last year xd94 lost 10 percent around this time then Another £1k by end of the year leading to q1. Enjoy your tv.

Easier just to ask Currys to swap the e6 I've got from them for the zd9 and apply the 10% discount to that, or just return the e6 and place a new order for the zd9 using the current TV10 discount code. First thing I'm gonna do though is ring JL as I know they're planning on ringing Sony again today and just ask about the possibility of swapping my xd9405 for the zd9, it has to be a preferable solution for both them and Sony than me pursuing the section 75 claim that I will inevitably win.
Is the section claim named after the size of the desired television??? :laugh::laugh:

Remind me why you wanted to change please? Was it because you wanted a bigger size and oled was ubber expensive ?
Keep well
A

@midknight That is a really important point, midknight. It's all very well these shiny new 4k HDR sets looking so good with 4K demonstration material on USB and so forth, but since most discs in people's collections will be mainly 1080p Blu-ray, or even DVDs, the upscaling properties of any television is quite important. I have to say that eleven days ago, I was in John Lewis and the salesman played a compilation of Blu-rays, and I'm afraid that Oblivion looked no better on the Sony 65ZD9 that it does on my own Full HD televisions, so I was a bit dubious. Maybe it was the shop setting, but I'm happy to take your word that the ZD9 upscales very well.

@midknight That is a really important point, midknight. It's all very well these shiny new 4k HDR sets looking so good with 4K demonstration material on USB and so forth, but since most discs in people's collections will be mainly 1080p Blu-ray, or even DVDs, the upscaling properties of any television is quite important. I have to say that eleven days ago, I was in John Lewis and the salesman played a compilation of Blu-rays, and I'm afraid that Oblivion looked no better on the Sony 65ZD9 that it does on my own Full HD televisions, so I was a bit dubious. Maybe it was the shop setting, but I'm happy to take your word that the ZD9 upscales very well.

I am getting confused. He was referring to his old e6 or zd9?
If you read the exchange before with zandy, it seems to be more about the e6
@midknight please clarify

I have never owned a E6! Sorry I think are confused.

@SonOfSJ I wasn't expecting normal 1080p stuff to look as good as it does - of coarse it is dependant on source but some of the stuff I have watched has looked fantastic especially for such a large screen.

Following the email I received from Sony saying "no 5 year warranty for you mate", I popped in to Currys to double check the situation with Sony and if needed, to see about getting their own in-house 5 year warranty. A nice very helpful chap double-checked the warranty situation and confirmed that my ZD9 only came with a one year warranty so I went ahead and bought their Knowhow 5 year warranty for my own peace of mind.

I am still well in pocket despite the unexpected extra cost so I'm not that bothered about forking out the money, just pleased its now covered "just in case"!

EDIT - A possible bonus for other potential warranty buyers, the Knowhow T&C's read;
  • You don't have to buy a Care Plan at the same time as you purchase your new product. You have up to 12 months to decide.
I read this as possibly saying you can essentially get a 6 year warranty by buying the Knowhow warranty a couple of days before the manufacturers 1 year warranty expires - anyone able to confirm or deny?

Last edited:
I read this as possibly saying you can essentially get a 6 year warranty by buying the Knowhow warranty a couple of days before the manufacturers 1 year warranty expires - anyone able to confirm or deny?
You're buying 4 years of warranty, beginning the day after the last day of the manufacturer's 1 year warranty. So it doesn't matter when you buy the extended warranty during that first year, because even if you would buy it on the day you bought the device, the first year would still be covered by the manufacturer and not by Curry's Knowhow warranty.

Something sounds dodgy. I also bought the 5k 75ZD9 and also got the 'no warranty' notice from Sony. But I contacted Currys and they confirmed I had 5yr warranty on the TV through them (Currys). Unsure why all the discrepancy.

Is it possible to activate HDR in Game Mode?
Is it true that only 2 HDMI Port support HDR?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks! Any chance of checking if HDR can be used in GameMode?

Hiya, yes it does - I tested Shadow warrior 2 4k HDR looks amazing, also I bought one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KXCOAW8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works a treat, infact it cured a smearing issue I had with motion on the stuff going through my Onkyo AMP which was very surprising . I'm going to exchange my xbox one for an S as I want to try Forza horizon 3 HDR as PC version doesn't support it :( .

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Something sounds dodgy. I also bought the 5k 75ZD9 and also got the 'no warranty' notice from Sony. But I contacted Currys and they confirmed I had 5yr warranty on the TV through them (Currys). Unsure why all the discrepancy.

Interesting! The fella at the store the other day showed me the computer record for my purchase and it definitely said 1 year warranty, I even got a printed copy.

Sounds like it is up to individual stores to include or exclude the warranty. I should have pushed harder when buying the TV I think but the manager was 99% positive I would get the free warranty so I thought I would get it - clearly not.

Do you have it in writing?

If you want to get this TV home and wonder if the car is big enough try this,had to laught at it.

Attachments

• 11856362_1632485920356489_3528855410468431321_o.jpg
    11856362_1632485920356489_3528855410468431321_o.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 218
I have been reading about the curry's 5 Year Warranty from what i gather they don't give the Sony one they do there own one and on their site it does state the ZD9 has a 5 year one,where as i bought from a Sony Centre they give the Sony one,it is on my receipt including Sony 5 year warranty this is where the confusion is i think.
Link to where it says about warranty:-

SONY BRAVIA KD65ZD9BU Smart 3D 4k Ultra HD HDR 65" LED TV

Hope this helps.

Even with the Sony one they do not send a certificate like they use to but having it on the receipt is good enough for me to be honest.

Last edited:
Hiya, yes it does - I tested Shadow warrior 2 4k HDR looks amazing, also I bought one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KXCOAW8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works a treat, infact it cured a smearing issue I had with motion on the stuff going through my Onkyo AMP which was very surprising . I'm going to exchange my xbox one for an S as I want to try Forza horizon 3 HDR as PC version doesn't support it :( .

Can you tell me if the Ligawo HDR auto switches now and do it reliably, please :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Had to ask for it a few times, but yes, came in the mail recently.

Epilogue can you confirm you were one of the Curry's £5k few?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom