Sony Bravia Z5500 200HZ, CCFL, BE3, 1080/24p

Hi guys,

My z5500 developed the above problem and looking through the threads I see a few of you have this problem.
I seem to have cured this by doing a firmware upgrade, I previously had 1.540loaded so I upgraded to the latest version on the Sony website which is version 1.700 and the problem hasn`t occured since.

Hope this helps guys,
Bonzer :D

Mine does this too. It originally only started doing it when I was on F/W 1.600EA.
I put the latest 1.700EA firmware on a few weeks ago and it still does it.
It hasn't happened for a week or so but I believe it will happen again. I got a 5 year warranty free with the TV so I'm not that worried.

Strangely, it has only EVER done it when playing on my PS3. This connects to a Sony DH800 amp then to the TV.

My Blu-ray player and 360 connect through this amp too and none of them have ever suffered from this problem.

My Sky HD box is connected directly to the TV and has never had this issue either.

Normally, I would expect the amp/PS3/hdmi cable to be causing this, but due to other users experiencing it, I'm inclined to suspect that it's a TV issue instead.

I have since swapped the hdmi on the PS3, so if it happens again, I can take this out of the equation.

Last edited:
Does anybody of owners Z5500 know how setup TV to tune DVB-T and DVB-C channels together? I tried to tune DVB-T at first and then again DVB-C, but it replaced DVB-T channels (the same also in opposite order). And option "Manual digital tuning" is disabled (it says it's enabled only for DVB-T).

No one knows answer? I talked to guy who owns W5800 and he sais when he presses button DIGITAL on remote, TV switches between DVB-T, DVB-C and DVB-S (can some of W5800/Z5800 owner confirm it?). But on my Z5500 I tried to press that button many time, no change.

Note: Everybody certainly know how to display time of TV running from service menu (three numbers at the bottom). It's that first number (in hours), next number is count of switch TV on. But I have no idea what is the third number. Anybody to knows?

Mine does this too. It originally only started doing it when I was on F/W 1.600EA.
I put the latest 1.700EA firmware on a few weeks ago and it still does it.
It hasn't happened for a week or so but I believe it will happen again. I got a 5 year warranty free with the TV so I'm not that worried.

Strangely, it has only EVER done it when playing on my PS3. This connects to a Sony DH800 amp then to the TV.

My Blu-ray player and 360 connect through this amp too and none of them have ever suffered from this problem.

My Sky HD box is connected directly to the TV and has never had this issue either.

Normally, I would expect the amp/PS3/hdmi cable to be causing this, but due to other users experiencing it, I'm inclined to suspect that it's a TV issue instead.

I have since swapped the hdmi on the PS3, so if it happens again, I can take this out of the equation.

The same issue(black screen for 1/2 sec, then showing input info) occurred to me again, even after updating to firmware 1.7. It also occurred several times before the update(only rarely). It only happend once since I updated, and it happend with the PS3.

Just thought I'd put my findings on here...
I love my 40Z5500, the PQ is fantastic football on HD is amazing, the upscaling of SD content is great and the sound qulity is better then I would have imagined from a flat panel tv. I used the settings I found on here to help with fine tuning (to my taste ).
My issues though are, I have the same problem with the picture dropping out for about 1/2 a second and the input screen showing up, this is not a major problem more of an annoyance.
I can now stream directly from my laptop to the tv as I have networked the tv. The music works well, I just have to sort some playlists out. When I try to stream video, the picture looks as though I'm looking through water, not good.This happens in whatever type of video file I play. Now I know a bit about streaming as I was originally using my Archos5 to do this and that was perfect??? Has anybody else seen this as well? or dealt with it?
This weekend I was at The Gadget Show Live and spoke with the Sony rep about the Applicast System, it looks as if this is now a white elephant as the new NX range of tvs have an updated version, and the Z5500 cannot be upgraded to the newer version, so it looks like there is no more support for it.
To say I was abit peeed of is an uderstatement:mad::thumbsdowSony.
Anyway rant over
Sharky

With all this chat over 3D I've felt a little gutted my 40Z5500 is so soon superseded.

I did cheer myself up with the Avatar Blue ray this weekend. Looked AMAZING! I swear my mouth was on the floor half the movie, never seen a HD movie look as good. :smashin:

This set will definately last me, till maybe the 2nd/3rd gen 3D tvs that don't need the glasses come along.

With all this chat over 3D I've felt a little gutted my 40Z5500 is so soon superseded.

I did cheer myself up with the Avatar Blue ray this weekend. Looked AMAZING! I swear my mouth was on the floor half the movie, never seen a HD movie look as good. :smashin:

This set will definately last me, till maybe the 2nd/3rd gen 3D tvs that don't need the glasses come along.

Are you consoling yourself or what? If you are big ups:)

just updated, can't believe how easy it is to update this TV.

on first impressions looks like its fixed the slight lag there was flicking between channels.

never had the blank screen issues.

I've Just received a new 40Z5500 TV, £800 with 5 Years. I was told it was brand new but the tape on the bottom of the box appears to have opened, but not quite enough to get the TV out?

Does/did this TV have a plastic film on the TV or Stand? As the one I have received has neither.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure mine had a blue-ish protective film over the stand and TV frame. It was over a year ago now though so I could be mistaken.

Anyone?

Brought a 40Z5500 and whack it on the wall last night. My KDL-40W2000 has served me well for 4 years but it was time for an upgrade. Overall really impressed with the TV, everything looks so much better than my old Sony. Didn't notice any clouding or light bleed but only had limited time to test the screen. Gonna give it a proper go tonight, try some of the calibration settings mentioned in this thread. I will also look at the firmware update. Any thing else?

I brought it from a currys clearance shop, it looks brand new but does it log hours used like the pansonic's? It would be great to see this info. Got it for a good price £520 :) so overall pretty happy so far!

Cheers
Stu

Brought a 40Z5500 and whack it on the wall last night. My KDL-40W2000 has served me well for 4 years but it was time for an upgrade. Overall really impressed with the TV, everything looks so much better than my old Sony. Didn't notice any clouding or light bleed but only had limited time to test the screen. Gonna give it a proper go tonight, try some of the calibration settings mentioned in this thread. I will also look at the firmware update. Any thing else?

I brought it from a currys clearance shop, it looks brand new but does it log hours used like the pansonic's? It would be great to see this info. Got it for a good price £520 :) so overall pretty happy so far!

Cheers
Stu

I would also be interested to find out if it logs hours used?
My previous post was asking if new Z5800 had the clear plastic on the stand or tv, did yours? mine had neither?

Mine wasn't sold as clearance not new. Didn't come with a box or any clear plastic. There is a couple of small scratches on the stand but the TV itself is mint.

You can find out hours used through the service menu. I found the info on a another forum but the remote control key squence doesn't work and just turns the TV off. Anyone have the correct info on this please?

Never got around to doing the picture calibration last night was to blown away by the picture. Ended up watching a couple of blurays. HD stuff looks fine already really, sky looks abit crap at mo so need to change a few settings I think. Also upgraded the firmware from 1.5 to 1.7 but couldn't really see any difference.

Overall I am really happy with the TV so far...

Don't know if anbody mentioned that. If anybody has doubts if the TV is new or not there is the possibility to chack it out, Menu code as follows:
Turn on TV in alalog programmes mode. Turn it of by remote control.Than push:
i+; 5; vol -; and green small button. Now you can see:
xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx
First x: hours of TV working
Secound x: how mwny times the TV was turn on.
DO NOT Touch anything in Menu.
It works for me. You can do that for your own risk.

Sorry for writing post under the post but new things with my TV accured...

I must say that I have a lot of problems with my 52Z5500.The HD(TV) PQ is awfull (sic! )at all programmes. I campared this TV with my 46W4500 one by one and w4500 wins with its hands down. I connect "Z" to the same devaice (sat receiver + the same HDMI cable )) so "W" was. No chance.. the same -as mentioned over - conclusion. I.m begin to believe that my "Z" is foulty.Unfortunately there is very sick law in Poland and I can not return it to the shop where I bought it 5 days ago !!! All I can do is calling for the service. PS. What is very strange I notice a very good PQ on SD programmes ! Is a new (better ? ) HDMI cable could help. My 46W4500 doesn't needed one !
If you have any suggestions in this case pls. let me know.

Can someone confirm if this tv has audio return channel? I dont see mention of it in the manual, or is bravia sync the same thing as arc?

Thanks

KelvinS1965. To dim the Sony logo go to Home then Settings and select off for logo illumination. It lights for few moments only when you turn off/on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom