Sony Bravia XR-48A90KU 48"

Simon6776

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Sony Bravia XR-48A90KU 48" to replace my aincent Panasonic Plasma, which has given over 15 years of good service.

One immediate obstacle is obvious, and that is, the stand (or foot) is so low, it will leave me nowhere to place my surround centre speaker. If I place it in front of the TV, it will cut off part of the screen, and if I place it behind, it will be blocked. It is not possible to wall mount the TV, as it would disturb the neighbours, and also would then not be in the ideal viewing position.

Does anyone know if a separate stand can be purchased for the TV, which would raise it up just a few centimetres? I could then place the centre speaker behind it, and the gap would allow the sound to emanate. Or, would it be too much to hope that the existing "foot" on this TV is adjustable?

Thanks,

Simon.

Hi Simon I have just bought the older model it's excellent. On the stand numerous on Amazon for around £30. I got one with a wooden base and it's just the job, easy to build and supports upto 55inch tvs. Easy to adjust the height. It's made by Rentliv.

Hi Simon I have just bought the older model it's excellent. On the stand numerous on Amazon for around £30. I got one with a wooden base and it's just the job, easy to build and supports upto 55inch tvs. Easy to adjust the height. It's made by Rentliv.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've already got a TV stand, which also houses all the amps, boxes and stuff underneath.

The issue is that the "foot" on the TV means there's no gap between the bottom of the TV and the surface it stands on, so I'll need to raise the TV by a few centimetres, somehow.

Screenshot-20220927-142047.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation though. I've been eyeing these sets for a while now, but it hasn't been the right time to bite the bullet.

I've just found this on Amazon:

Looks like it would do the job. Not sure how it fixes to the back of the TV though. Surely you don't have to drill holes?! 😳

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
They fit on the vesa holes as does the rentliv. Sorry when I said stand it replaces the middle foot it's not a stand for other AV kit.

Rentliv Universal Swivel TV Stand, Table Top TV Stand for 32-55 inch LED LCD Plasma Flat and Curved Screen TVs, Height Adjustable TV Stand with Wooden Base, Max VESA 400x400mm, Holds up to 45kg https://amzn.eu/d/9EpdEve

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
For info there is an owners thread in the Sony forum for this tv Sony A90K OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

But to answer your question, the stand on the A90K has 2 positions, one is ‘raised up’ to accommodate a speaker or soundbar.

Attachments

• 51FC7176-A16B-4DFB-B104-4561093B9446.jpeg
    51FC7176-A16B-4DFB-B104-4561093B9446.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 40
Although... How does this Sony compare to the Panasonic TX-48LZ980B? Money isn't really the issue, but it is a bit cheaper, and I've got other Panny equipment I've been very happy with. My reasoning for going for the Sony was that I've seen one up and running, and the picture quality is superb.

To be honest Iooked at the Philips in Richer sounds the 806 and that was also superb. The older 935 is just 750 at costco. I am a Sony man and to me even my A9 looks issue free. They are also part of the master series. RS say there is only small differences between them all. You can get an ex display one of those for 699 at Sevenoaks sound and vision.

So the Philips has ambilight and also a backlit remote that the Sony doesn't have. You will read that there are issues with soundbars but these appear resolved with the latest update. You should get an additional £10 VIP discount to. The Sony may have slightly better motion and onboard sound but you have stated that is of no interest for you. RS if that is to be believed stated to me that Philips have the least returns out of any tv. In essence it comes down to the fact that the Sony is a very safe bet you will not be disappointed but the Philips is cheaper. RS should price beat the costco website price of the latest Sony as its £1349.98. They may charge you the costco membership online only is £15 in that deal. So the price I think would be £1344.98. Interesting that when I rang Costco Watford the other day they quoted me £1000 + VAT which is somewhat cheaper than the online price. They do sometimes charge different prices for instore to website but RS can check this. If that price is true then its £1233.60 less £20 price beat with RS. I am assuming that you are not a costco member. I hope that helps

Although... How does this Sony compare to the Panasonic TX-48LZ980B? Money isn't really the issue, but it is a bit cheaper, and I've got other Panny equipment I've been very happy with. My reasoning for going for the Sony was that I've seen one up and running, and the picture quality is superb.
Looks like you've gone for the Sony now anyway but having looked at this over the last few months it seems that the Panasonic 48" & 42" OLEDs are all "step down" in some way compared to the larger models in the same ranges. No "master OLED", no heatsink. In fact the 980 and 1500 versions at the 42/48" size are basically identical apart from the stand.

Whilst the A90K doesn't have a heatsink it is otherwise a "Master OLED" and has all of the Sony flagship features, so my thinking personally was that the A90K was a more fully-featured set than the Panasonics. Hard to know without a side-by-side comparison though - I'd be interested to see whether we get much in the way of 48/42" professional reviews on YouTube for the Sony & Panasonic models, nothing much yet that I'm aware of...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom