Sony Bravia xh90 unable to use speakers/ headphones independently

sandiphoto

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I’m hard of hearing and have just discovered that my new tv does not allow me to put headphones in while others can listen to tv at normal volume. I’m so disappointed by this as I love the tv, does anyone know if there is any work around this. My last tv was a Panasonic and I just attached the rf signal to the headphone Jack. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi All
I’m hard of hearing and have just discovered that my new tv does not allow me to put headphones in while others can listen to tv at normal volume. I’m so disappointed by this as I love the tv, does anyone know if there is any work around this. My last tv was a Panasonic and I just attached the rf signal to the headphone Jack. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
On the XF9005, I found that if you had a device connected by digital optical, even if the audio output device was set to TV speakers, a stereo signal was still output down the digital optical cable.

So if you have wireless headphones which connect to a transmitter box, which itself is connected to the TV via digital optical cable, this could work for you?

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried attaching an optical cable to the wireless transmitter but unfortunately it hasn’t worked. I’m not very technical so there may be something that I haven’t done. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply though. The optical cable I’ve used has the 3.5 headphone Jack attached to the base of the transmitter and optical part into the tv optical port. Could it be that maybe my headphone transmitter doesn’t work with an optical cable?

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried attaching an optical cable to the wireless transmitter but unfortunately it hasn’t worked. I’m not very technical so there may be something that I haven’t done. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply though. The optical cable I’ve used has the 3.5 headphone Jack attached to the base of the transmitter and optical part into the tv optical port. Could it be that maybe my headphone transmitter doesn’t work with an optical cable?

Potentially it could be. Or perhaps you need to change the 'input mode' on your headphone transmitter?

What model do you have? I can then have a look at the manual online to see if I can help in any other way.

Hi
I’m using Sony MDR RF895RK wireless headphones. Thank you for your help.
It looks like your wireless transmitter only supports a direct audio signal e.g. from a headphone jack or an Audio Out port.

I would recommend buying this and trying it out => Amazon product ASIN B07MB8VCWQ. It's £12. You would connect the digital optical cable from the TV to this little box, then have an aux cable (like you had before from the Panny TV) go from the little box into your wireless transmitter.

Thank you for this. I’ll order it now. Fingers crossed. I appreciate your time and knowledge and your kindness in sharing this.

Most modern Sony TV's DO allow you to output audio from the headphone port at the same time as the built-in speakers.
There is a setting in the TV's menu to allow this and you should still be able to connect your existing wireless headphones transmitter.
What is your TV's full model no?

Hi JayCee
It’s the 55XH9005. I’ve been into the settings but the option for audio out is greyed out. Thanks for your input.

Sometimes these settings are greyed out unless the source is set to it's internal TV tuner so set it to it's tuner and look for the headphone output in system settings.
It can usually be set to headphone or line out.
You want it set to “Line out” and once set it should output audio from this socket and the internal speakers.

Hi All

Thank you all for your amazing skills. The converter has worked a treat. I’m so grateful, I’ll be binge watching now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom