Sony Bravia XH90 and Nintendo Switch OLED problems connecting anyone?

Rony28

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought the Nintendo Switch OLED model about 2 weeks back. I had been playing on my Sony Bravia XH90 TV, no problems for about a week.

Then a few days back my Switch started to have problems connecting to the TV. When I go to the HDMI 1 channel, it would say "No signal".

After about an hour of playing around, I figured I could force it to work (once) by going to Settings > Channel and Inputs > External Inputs > External Device Setup.

After a few more days of playing around with it I have figured the following:

• I have a 60% success rate of Switch connecting if I haven't used the Switch in a while
  • Once it connects, if I then turn it off and then turn back on immediately, I have a 10% success rate of it connecting
  • Going through Settings method gives me a 100% success rate (but obviously I don't want to do this every time)
  • I have tested my Switch on another monitor and it works immaculately (turning the Switch on and off several times in a row registers with the monitor immediately) which leads me to believe it is the TV, and rules out the Switch itself.
  • From memory (which is pretty poor), I believe I did one of those TV updates recently, which I believe could be the problem (I once updated my TV and my bluetooth headphone stopped connecting. After the next update they worked again - so I am presuming sometimes three could be buggy updates?)
  • I would have thought if it was an software/firmware update issue other people might have this issue, but can't find anyone with a similar issue on the internet.
  • I have played around with a lot of the settings to no avail
  • I have restarted my TV, power reset it and even did a factory reset, still not working properly.
  • I have tested with different HDMI cables with no changes in results, which rules out the cable.
  • When I click the "Source input" button to bring up the inputs menu, the HDMI 1 box is "grey" colour when my Switch is off. When I turn my Switch on, it will 100% turn "green", i.e. suggesting that it is recognising it. However whether it actually connect through goes back to the percentages above. What does this mean? It sees it, but not connecting?
  • On the internet some people have had issues with connecting, due to the "order" in which they connect the power, then the HDMI then the TV and Switch, I have done this, no results.
  • The only other thing that I can think of that I have done differently to the first week is that I have now added a screen protector to my Switch, however I think this is ruled out by me testing it on another monitor.
  • I have called Sony Support and they couldn't help.

So my question now is:

• Anyone have the same model TV as me, and also Switch and have the same problems?
  • Any ideas on how to fix this?
  • If it is the updates fault, how do I view the log history of the updates on my TV? It would be good because then I can see what individual updates were made and if that could be the culprit.
  • How often do updated get rolled out? I am hoping the next update may fix this. If not, I seriously may cry. Brand new TV and Brand new console. Sad.

Thank you

Last edited:
Judging by the Reddit thread on the latest Bravia firmware update it could well be to do with the latest update. Lots of people having connection problems, playback problems etc there. You say yourself that you updated the TV's firmware not long ago.
I was midway through downloading the update and thought I'd just wait and see how it panned out so cancelled the d/l. I'll not be switching auto-update on.

Judging by the Reddit thread on the latest Bravia firmware update it could well be to do with the latest update. Lots of people having connection problems, playback problems etc there. You say yourself that you updated the TV's firmware not long ago.
I was midway through downloading the update and thought I'd just wait and see how it panned out so cancelled the d/l. I'll not be switching auto-update on.
Ah really? That makes me feel so much better. At least I know I'm not the only one and it's Sony's fault. Hope they fix it soon!

ON a side note, is it possible too uninstall the most recent update? I would have thought a factory reset would have taken me back, but I guess it installed the latest on restart.

Thanks

I have the same sony tv model and switch oled. I have exactly the same problem. This is undoubtedly the fault of the last update.

I’ve also encountered the exact same issue with my Switch OLED & Sony X900H. The issues also seemed to begin a few weeks ago, as everything had been working fine prior. I also owned an OG Switch which had 0 issues connecting to my television.

But basically, I turn on my docked Switch (it powers on with green light) but my television reads “no signal.” In order to get a picture on my television, I have to go into the external inputs menus>external device setup every time. This always works for me, but is definitely annoying. I also find that if I turn off/on my television or undock/redock the Switch, the picture is also lost…then I have to go through the same menu process again.

I have also tested my Switch OLED on 2 other televisions in my house (a Samsung 4K & a 20 year old Toshiba big screen) & everything worked flawlessly…so this rules out any issues with the console itself. I am guessing that the last Sony television firmware update messed something up. Hopefully it will be fixed with a future update…would love to hear if anybody has come up with a solution!

That's reassuring you guys have the same issue. I actually already did call Sony.

So a few weeks back when I was having this issue, I called Sony. We went through all of the standard troubleshooting steps resets, power reset, factory reset, changing and checking certain settings etc. None of it worked. I then suggested that it is the fault of the software update and I asked her what was in the update and when the next update is and she could not give an answer.

I also asked if this is a software issue, then there must be other people having the same issue, and I asked her if she could check if there were other cases like this where they were having problems with v6.1288, and she said there weren't any.

Now I am thinking whether she lied to me, or if she even checked, as looking all over the internet this version is riddled with issues. I can't be the only one to have called Sony?

I might call them again just to let them know that this is a definitive issue with their software and to get it fixed.

That's reassuring you guys have the same issue. I actually already did call Sony.

So a few weeks back when I was having this issue, I called Sony. We went through all of the standard troubleshooting steps resets, power reset, factory reset, changing and checking certain settings etc. None of it worked. I then suggested that it is the fault of the software update and I asked her what was in the update and when the next update is and she could not give an answer.

I also asked if this is a software issue, then there must be other people having the same issue, and I asked her if she could check if there were other cases like this where they were having problems with v6.1288, and she said there weren't any.

Now I am thinking whether she lied to me, or if she even checked, as looking all over the internet this version is riddled with issues. I can't be the only one to have called Sony?

I might call them again just to let them know that this is a definitive issue with their software and to get it fixed.
Yeah, there’s definitely something going on. I dunno if it’s a handshake issue due to the firmware update or what haha. I also own the PS5 & haven’t encountered any issues thusfar. Please do let us know if you hear anything else from Sony.

I have just called Sony.

This time they have admitted that there are a lot of issues with the v6.1288 and that their engineers are currently working on the fixes. I asked her for a time frame as to when the fix will be done, however she could not give a date and said that she expects it to be done before Christmas.

So at least we know Sony have acknowledged and are working on this.

And thanks Konio, I will give those settings a try. I have to figure out how those settings translate, however it looks like Polish is it? :p

Thanks guys,

EDIT: I've just tried those settings, however the HDMI and the Auto picture mode is both greyed out for me, it doesn't let me change them. Maybe because it depends on how my other settings are set. But that's fine, I'll just wait, thanks anyways.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my x90j and OLED Switch. One workaround I've found that works is to route it through a soundbar. I hope that Sony fixes this issue soon.

I am using the HDMI 2

HDMI signal range - FULL
Auto picture mode - OFF
Motion -> Motionflow - OFF
Film Mode - OFF

Last edited:
Well Sony have released their next updated v6.1554

And.......it still does not work. I think it works slightly better than before, the hit rate of connecting I think is slightly more, but still not 100%.

@konio124 I have tried those settings and still nothing for me. I will keep these settings to see if it improves.

Disappointing. Next TV will definitely not be Sony

Hi all,

I bought the Nintendo Switch OLED model about 2 weeks back. I had been playing on my Sony Bravia XH90 TV, no problems for about a week.

Then a few days back my Switch started to have problems connecting to the TV. When I go to the HDMI 1 channel, it would say "No signal".

After about an hour of playing around, I figured I could force it to work (once) by going to Settings > Channel and Inputs > External Inputs > External Device Setup.

After a few more days of playing around with it I have figured the following:

• I have a 60% success rate of Switch connecting if I haven't used the Switch in a while
  • Once it connects, if I then turn it off and then turn back on immediately, I have a 10% success rate of it connecting
  • Going through Settings method gives me a 100% success rate (but obviously I don't want to do this every time)
  • I have tested my Switch on another monitor and it works immaculately (turning the Switch on and off several times in a row registers with the monitor immediately) which leads me to believe it is the TV, and rules out the Switch itself.
  • From memory (which is pretty poor), I believe I did one of those TV updates recently, which I believe could be the problem (I once updated my TV and my bluetooth headphone stopped connecting. After the next update they worked again - so I am presuming sometimes three could be buggy updates?)
  • I would have thought if it was an software/firmware update issue other people might have this issue, but can't find anyone with a similar issue on the internet.
  • I have played around with a lot of the settings to no avail
  • I have restarted my TV, power reset it and even did a factory reset, still not working properly.
  • I have tested with different HDMI cables with no changes in results, which rules out the cable.
  • When I click the "Source input" button to bring up the inputs menu, the HDMI 1 box is "grey" colour when my Switch is off. When I turn my Switch on, it will 100% turn "green", i.e. suggesting that it is recognising it. However whether it actually connect through goes back to the percentages above. What does this mean? It sees it, but not connecting?
  • On the internet some people have had issues with connecting, due to the "order" in which they connect the power, then the HDMI then the TV and Switch, I have done this, no results.
  • The only other thing that I can think of that I have done differently to the first week is that I have now added a screen protector to my Switch, however I think this is ruled out by me testing it on another monitor.
  • I have called Sony Support and they couldn't help.

So my question now is:

• Anyone have the same model TV as me, and also Switch and have the same problems?
  • Any ideas on how to fix this?
  • If it is the updates fault, how do I view the log history of the updates on my TV? It would be good because then I can see what individual updates were made and if that could be the culprit.
  • How often do updated get rolled out? I am hoping the next update may fix this. If not, I seriously may cry. Brand new TV and Brand new console. Sad.

Thank you

I have a solution.

I had the same exact problem and finally found a fix that works 100% of the time! All you gotta do is buy a active HDMI switch (one that needs to be powered) and plug the HDMI cable from your Nintendo switch into the HDMI switch, and the another HDMI cable from the output of the HDMI switch into your TV (I put it into HDMI2).

Then it’ll work perfectly fine. You put the console into the dock and it automatically switches.

I bought tHe CSL HDMI Switch off of Amazon. It’s like 15 bucks.

I literally made an account on here just to post this. Hope it helps!!

Hello all,

Same problem on XRA90J with up-to-date firmware. Any news on Sony fixing it? Has the problem on XH90 been resolved?

Thank you, best wishes!

Bought new A80J 55...same problem with Switch OLED! it's frustrating, sometimes I had to remove/insert HDMI cable and it works, or pray with some magic rituals. I've bought powered external HDMI switch, I 'll update later...

I have a solution.

I had the same exact problem and finally found a fix that works 100% of the time! All you gotta do is buy a active HDMI switch (one that needs to be powered) and plug the HDMI cable from your Nintendo switch into the HDMI switch, and the another HDMI cable from the output of the HDMI switch into your TV (I put it into HDMI2).

Then it’ll work perfectly fine. You put the console into the dock and it automatically switches.

I bought tHe CSL HDMI Switch off of Amazon. It’s like 15 bucks.

I literally made an account on here just to post this. Hope it helps!!
About this switch, have you got a link? photo?
tnx

I think people are blaming the wrong company, I don't think Sony is the issue it's Nintendo who I think is at fault.

I had no problem with my switch with the current firmware on my 90H until I traded in my old switch for an OLED.

My original Switch worked flawlessly and had no issues until the moment I plugged in the OLED and then it started.

I've been troubleshooting and I think the new dock is the problem. I borrowed my friends original dock and it seems to work fine when using it with the OLED and I don't get the no signal message.

My guess is the new dock is sending out a weaker HDMI signal and that's the underlying problem.

@relapse au, me too I have experimented with old/new Switch dock and found the same behavior. But Switch OLED (dock) works flawlessly on an old Toshiba (year 2006) and a recent Panasonic LED. So, there is something wrong about the combination Bravia (different models) and OLED dock.

It can't be a problem about strength of the signal:
1) When the signal is received by the TV, it is indefinitely stable
2) With the manual procedure "Settings > Channel and Inputs > External Inputs > External Device Setup" (as reported also by the OP) the signal is always received (Switch is configured in Enhanced Dolby this way)
3) No difference with various (high quality) HDMI cables of shortest length

Definitely a handshaking issue that the TV can ultimately manage, if forced to, through the procedure at point 2) above.

@relapse au

I hear what you say but you may have missed where I tested the OLED Switch with my other monitor and it works flawlessly.

I have also had the old switch before on my Sony and it did have problems.

If we combine our observations, then the conclusion is that maybe it is not a Nintendo/Sony sole problem but rather a problem when the two are together (compatibility)

You have a lot of people on here and Reddit having this issue, and it seems limited to Sony TV, and not to other TVs.

@PioPulcio No update I am afraid. Its been 4 months now and I just have to go through settings 90% of the time I play. I will try calling Sony again sometime soon.

The solution for me was to contact Nintendo for repair, print this thread (including it with the dock for repair), Please write a note explaining the problem. Include your TV brand and model.

Nintendo investigated, and decided I needed a replacement dock. Low and behold! It works finally.

The solution for me was to contact Nintendo for repair, print this thread (including it with the dock for repair), Please write a note explaining the problem. Include your TV brand and model.

Nintendo investigated, and decided I needed a replacement dock. Low and behold! It works finally.
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply! I have just written to Nintendo, hopefully I will get a re-issued dock that would work too!

Thanks!

Thank you for the information. I wrote to nintendo, I hope they will replace the dock

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom