Sony Bravia xe93 or LG OLED b7

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Anthony999, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Anthony999

Anthony999
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi just after some opinions of which one is better seeing as both are roughly same price, either Sony Bravia 55 xe93 or 55 LG b7, I’m in the UK, watch slot of 4K movies and play on Xbox one x and PS4 pro, I know OLED is better with blacks and Sony tv is meant to be brighter but how does that look in the real world, which is gonna wow me most

2. Isenduil

Isenduil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ah great question as I’m wondering between these 2 sets, or even the 65 Sony if it has better discount deals. Then it becomes a discussion of oled versus 10” which is better.

Sorry to jump on thread so soon but was just the info I was looking for also as I logged into forum just now [emoji3]

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,341
    Have you guys seen any reviews or shoot-outs between different TVs? The OLEDs fight their own compared to the very high end LCDs and mostly win.

So even when comparing the LG B7/C7 to flagship models like the Sony ZD9 they beat them in many tests.

So now you can see where buying a similarly priced LCD leaves you by comparison? Yes the fundamental differences in brightness are still there but if a cheaper OLED can beat the Sony ZD9 in tests, why would you prefer a lower range model?

The XE93 is a very nice TV with impressive local dimming for an edge lit mode but it is still edge lit and whilst it does get brighter, that doesn't always mean that HDR will look better.

I would advise you go demo the TVs yourself with some HDR content to see what I mean. Most people would choose the OLED.

4. kinetic747

kinetic747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've settled on the B7 and I'm pulling the trigger this Friday, sale prices or not.:)

5. Isenduil

Isenduil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply Dodgexander.

I appreciated the OLEDs are superior but my question was the following really to add some more detail.

Yes at 55" it's a no brainer as LG is marginally cheaper. But really I'd prefer a 65" TV, but 2.5k is just too steep I think. the 65 Sony 9305 is currently 2,200 but with free soundbar options etc, so hoping they will knock that 200+ off by Friday, but can't imagine the 65 OLED will reduce by much as it's much more "in demand". So OLED 1500 @ 55" / Sony say 2,000 @ 65" hopefully then OLED 65 at 2.5k. What I'm trying to get my head round is if the 10" is worth it for £500 versus the 55" OLED. Or should I just push the boat out for the 65" OLED.

Coming from a Panny 42G20 plasma and viewing distance unfortunately about 4m due to room layout. Viewing for 4K / HDR will be Netflix and Amazon Prime, also got Nowtv so appreciate I'm stuck with 720p for that but not paying a fortune for Sky Q as TBH watch the other 2 services much more nowadays.

Room is SE facing and mostly TV is watched in evening so no real sun issues, plus just fields out back so can be pitch black very easily - especially this time of year!!

So yeah in summary - 55 OLED or 65 Sony 9305 (or even 9005? as doesn't seem a huge difference in spec?) - which is "better"?

ps sorry Anthony999 hijacked your thread but think it's similar questions to yourself so should be helpful

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,341
    I wouldn't buy right now to be honest, too risky in my mind when the E7 LG just dropped £800 in price at 65". That makes it the same price as the lower B7 and C7 models.

Now if I saw a price change as significant than that I would suspect it wouldn't be unrealistic to see a price drop on the lower end models soon too.

But yeah, on current pricing the value of the XE93 @ 65" is good compared to the OLEDs. I'd perhaps say the lower end XE90 is still better value though. At 55 on current pricing OLEDs are better in value I think for sure.

Is it necessary to buy right now? At 4m and currently with a decent plasma I wouldn't be. That kind of distance you are viewing 2x the distance thats recommended from a 55" model to even notice a difference with UHD content.

7. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I was in your shoes and ended up buying the Sony 65XE93 which I’ve now had for 1 week.
    The money saved (£500) was important but not a deal breaker for me. but what pushed me to the Sony was I preferred the scaling and motion handling it offered over the LG and I also had some concerns about OLED’s potential for screen burn (a possibility for me given some of my families viewing habits).
    So after 1 week of ownership would I still buy the XE93...ABSOLUTELY. It’s PQ is stunning, the blacks, whilst not as black as OLED’s (obviously), are pretty damn close and I still can’t believe this is an edge lit LED. and as for HDR content...WOW!!!
    Also, the freebie Sony X800 4K Blu-ray is a peach too.

EDIT: I bought mine from John Lewis who offer a 28 day price match, so if anything silly happens price wise I should get the differences refunded.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  8. Isenduil

Isenduil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for replies

No huge rush to buy - but meant to upgrade last 2 years lol! :) so trying to succeed on third time lucky. Appreciate distance is far, but that's the problem currently that 42" is jsut too small - so need an upgrade and trying to get best possible. Plus the panny plasma can then go into the second room to replace a shocking old samsung first gen 720p thing so there is some logic to it all. Guess I'll see what happens by the weekend or wait till after Christmas.

9. nontechmike

nontechmike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am trying to make the same decision on a 55" model. I tend to watch in a fairly bright room so worried about the OLED - should I worry?

I also watch a mix of SD, HD and 4k and although over time I expect I will use increasingly 4k sources to start with at least I will be using quite a bit of SD/HD. So question is which of these 2 does a better job at upscalling.

Is there any difference between the B7 and the C7 other than screen edge and base stand?

Am I right to include the 9305 in this choice as distinct from the 9005. Is the 9305 worth the extra?

One other general question - I use satellite rather than aerial but is there any sets that provide freeview play type functionality that would work with Freesat?

Finally - what is view on timing to buy - Black Friday or early new year as the new models loom these will no doubt be even more discounted.

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,341
    Not really when OLEDs in normal scenes can reach 350nits with SDR and more with HDR. Only on a full white screen will it go to around 150nits which is approx twice as bright as most Plasma TVs of a few years back..a situation you rarely meet in normal viewing.

Some people rate Sony's upscaling as better, I personally don't. I rate all about even. People have different tastes.

No, same TVs.