Sony Bravia W/X3000 series Auto-dimming - possible workaround?

Pallaris

Established Member
Reaction score
So apparently, according to someone who commented on the X3500 preview post over at hdtvtest, there's a way round it:

Also note that auto-dimming can be disabled by switching on Game/Text Mode but at the cost of some video processing functions (Motion Enhancement, Noise Reduction, etc.

Comment 37 from this post.

Can anyone confirm? I'm a bit worried about this auto-dimming 'feature'... for those of you with either an X/W is it really that bad? I'm not bothered about it kicking in duing end credits or what not but if it really does affect programming (i.e. dark scenes) then it could be a deal breaker. Whats the consensus?

The way it was explained to me in the x3500 thread was that it only kicked in when no signal was being output - it's there to disguise any cloudiness on the screen - not adjust the picture. You might want to have a look at the response I received in relation to this same query (I was worried also).

You're thinking of it in the same way that I was: it's going to automatically darken bright images when watching a film - my understanding is that it doesn't.

However, I spent nearly 20mins yesterday watching X2 on a 52" W3000 in a Sony Centre and I never saw any artificial dimming of the picture and there were a number of bright and very dark scenes during that time.

The way it was explained to me in the x3500 thread was that it only kicked in when no signal was being output - it's there to disguise any cloudiness on the screen - not adjust the picture. You might want to have a look at the response I received in relation to this same query (I was worried also).

You're thinking of it in the same way that I was: it's going to automatically darken bright images when watching a film - my understanding is that it doesn't.

However, I spent nearly 20mins yesterday watching X2 on a 52" W3000 in a Sony Centre and I never saw any artificial dimming of the picture and there were a number of bright and very dark scenes during that time.

When the light output of the screen drops below a certain point for more than 4 seconds the auto dimming will kick in. This includes when the screen is receiving a signal. So if there is a particularly dark seen in a film or the end credits of a film it is quite possible that you might notice the auto dimming affect.

With the correct settings and a certain amount of ambient light it is possible by all accounts to reduce the affect of of this auto dimming so that you may not notice it.

It does seem crazy though that Sony have chosen to try and hide the clouding rather than fix it :(

I am going to look at some screens on Friday to see if I can get one without the clouding, I hope I get lucky :rolleyes:

When the light output of the screen drops below a certain point for more than 4 seconds the auto dimming will kick in. This includes when the screen is receiving a signal. So if there is a particularly dark seen in a film or the end credits of a film it is quite possible that you might notice the auto dimming affect.

Wow this concerns me. Paul, have you seen this in person or are you relaying what you've heard/read?. Would be good if people with W/X3000 could do some tests and see whether dark scenes are really affected.

The other day I went into the Sony Centre at Tottenham court road and they had a 40V3000, 40X2000 and a 40W3000 lined up next to each other (in that order left to right) showing the BBC HD Channel and I have to say not only did the new W series image look better :eek: I did not see any hint of “Auto-Dimming”, they also had a 46W3000 on which again I could not see the “Auto-Dimming”.

Well, I have the W3000 and auto dimming isn't a problem at all. It happens when, as someone else said, when you have no input at all, but I' haven't seen anything at all during transmission.

it's a great set.

Wow this concerns me. Paul, have you seen this in person or are you relaying what you've heard/read?. Would be good if people with W/X3000 could do some tests and see whether dark scenes are really affected.

I have seen this happen at my local store during the end credits of a film but to be fair it was only because I knew about it and was looking for it. As I said with the correct settings and some ambient light the affect during normal viewing is negligible. You would be more likely to notice it if you watched a dark film in a dark room with no light at all. To be honest having seen it and mostly dialed it out with the settings in store it does not really concern me, I am more bothered by prevalence of clouding on these sets. I know its not a problem on all of them but a fair percentage seem to have the problem. I have tested 3 so far and all had pretty bad clouding.

You can see it now and again, it's much more apparent when the backlight is set higher which it shouldn't be anyway.

Clouding?

If you have the backlight set high, then when you turn off the source or view a programme with black bars down the sides, then there is some light showing in the black bands, nothing in the picture though.
However set the backlight to 30%, which gives the best picture, there is nothing at all. These sets still show a good picture with the backlight set to minimum [0%]. Set to 30% still gives you a very vivid picture with no clouding.

Wasn't it one of the HDTV tests that said there was no sign of clouding on these sets.

So apparently, according to someone who commented on the X3500 preview post over at hdtvtest, there's a way round it:

Comment 37 from this post.

Can anyone confirm? I'm a bit worried about this auto-dimming 'feature'... for those of you with either an X/W is it really that bad? I'm not bothered about it kicking in duing end credits or what not but if it really does affect programming (i.e. dark scenes) then it could be a deal breaker. Whats the consensus?
I'm just wondering does it have huge impact on PS3 game graphic if we enable "Game/Text mode"?
Thanx in advance.

I'm just wondering does it have huge impact on PS3 game graphic if we enable "Game/Text mode"?
Thanx in advance.

not huge, but if you enable game/text mode, you switch off auto dimming feature and reduce input lag

got my kdl52s5100 yesterday,did too little research(also cuz my friends had the previous generation unit which don't have this disgusting feature).it's all perfect except for this f...d up auto-dim(which is Always active translating dvd's content-tv channels are fine)it cannot be turned off and it is extremely annoying.what really p..s me off is the stupid division into low,med and high enhanced contrast controller.it's f..g Always on.now i have to drag it back to the store.anyway thats my first LED,so maybe that kind of problem is just a piece of cake for an LED set owner.i'm dissapointed inSONY.

it seems that 40V5500 also has auto-dimming problems. didn't have much time since I have this TV set for three days, but if I could get it NOT doing that it would be a great set.
maybe it could be faulty equipment because I noticed it only when displaying image from my HTPC. tried two different cables, two inputs, reinstalled graphic card drivers (nVidia 9500GT with DVI and HDMI), turned off all "advanced" and eco thingies on TV and still... annoying. also, game/text mode doesn't make any difference but couldn't notice it when playing games on PS3 or watching analog/DVB-T. so far. can it be only when using non-sony video source? :eek:

and it can hardly be called "dimming", looks more like backlight cut-off, even whan displaying static picture which is odd. :(

im inclined to think the whole new generation(new processor) of sony led's has that.gonna see how the blu ray works(if it works-gonna keep it)what do they think when testing them cuz id rather see some clouding instead.damn..

ummm... I'm ashamed :suicide:

TV works great and dimming is not the problem... it was my graphics card. very stupid of me to jump to conclusion, but in my defence - it was working great with a normal PC monitor on that same output (and cables) and it really does look like it is a backlight problem... which I googled out very quickly as it is rather common problem :D
don't know what is going on, it's a new configuration :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom