Sony bravia - switch between headphones/internal speaker

bunkarma

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an elderley relative who owns a sony bravia LCD TV and she needs to be able to switch between headphones and internal speaker without unplugging the headphone jack (because she cannot move without assistance) Is this possible? Perhaps she would need to purchase an external sound system?? I don't know...:confused:. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hi,

You could use an external AV kit with a headphone jack but I think it would be much easier (& cheaper) if you use wireless headphones which takes the audio from the RCA's at the back of the TV leaving the TV speakers to operate normally.
I hope this is of some use?!

Thank you so much for your suggestions - I think I will go with the wi-fi phones. In this case do you simply mute the speakers whilst the headset is being used?

Sorry for the delay in the response, but thats exactly right. Just mute when using wireless headphones. There a 2 types of wireless headphones, IR have to be in line of sight and RF where you can use them in another room. If your relative is sitting in front of the TV buy IR ones.

See ya.

I am not skilled in electronics...f/66 but am trying to setup sony wirelss headphones for my husband and of course they mute the tv when plugged in which will not do for us. I see you say AV kit(?) and RCAs(?)in the back. I have both manuals out and cannot figure what you mean out. Could you explain a bit more for me. I have headphone MDR-RF925RK or RF970RK (on manual) and a Bravia KDL - 46XBR4. If you can help thank you. The space is tight where the TV is, and really can't plug the HPs in and out each time.

I don't know for certain if it is present on your Sony model but most have an option that allows you to choose if connecting headphones turns the TV audio off or not.

If you go into the TV menu and go to Audio Settings the option your looking for is called (at least on my Sony) SPEAKER LINK, when this is set to on coneccting headphones turns off the TV speakers, set speaker link to off and sound will continue to come from the TV speakers even when headphones are connected. You cab even seperately adust the headphone volume using the volume bar below speaker link once it is set to off.

Thank you Andy. That helped. Just think with your advice we have it fixed so it will work. Will test it out good in the morning. Again, thanks so much. Now maybe I will get brave and organize some other stuff not setup properly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom