• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony Bravia + Sony Home Theature + PS3 + Settop Box

L

libuvar

Hi,

I have the follwing systems connected.

1. Sony Bravia KLV-32U300A
2. PS3
3. DAV-DZ270
4. Settop Box (RCA output)

I have connected HDMI out of PS3(since it can play blue ray) to Bravia(HDMI in) and the audio output(RCA out) from Bravia to the home theater system(RCA in). I have also connected the video(RCA out) output of the Home Theater to the video input(RCA in) of Bravia.

Below is the config

1. Bravia
In : HDMI (from PS3)
RCA audio+video (from settop box)
RCA video only( from Home theater)
Out:RCA audio (to Home Theature)

When i view the settop box the display is working and the audio can be heard through the TV and Home theater speakers. Also when i play DVD's in the home theater, the sound is output from the home theature.

But when i play any disks on PS3 i can only hear the sound from the TV speakers. Is there any configuration in need to setup in any of these devices so i can hear the sound through the home theater system ?

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
nope.
your tv doesnt pass the audio out from hdmi,obviously.

the only thing you could do, is to forget a connection from tv - surround for ps3 for audio, and use an optical cable from ps3 - surround.....but you cant do that, as the surround has no optical input, as far as i'm aware..

for 5.1 from the ps3, you need a surround system with at least 1 optical input.

L

libuvar

Thanks for the reply. So i guess i am left with no choice.

Anyway i have one more question. I am usually using the home theater for viewing DVD discs only as the player doesnot support Blue-ray. Is there any advantage using HDMI out from the home theater to the TV for viewing DVD discs only?

Can i just use a ordinary RCA or is it better to use a composite video cable ?

nope.
your tv doesnt pass the audio out from hdmi,obviously.

the only thing you could do, is to forget a connection from tv - surround for ps3 for audio, and use an optical cable from ps3 - surround.....but you cant do that, as the surround has no optical input, as far as i'm aware..

for 5.1 from the ps3, you need a surround system with at least 1 optical input.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
hdmi will give you the best picture, plus you can use bravia sync for semi controlling the tv.
compared to hdmi, rca(composite), and component are below hdmi for picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom