Sony Bravia options - concerned about Wii and SD Tv

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by reemas, Sep 9, 2007.

1. reemas

reemas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Xbox 360 Elite (HDMI/1080p output) and a Xbox HD-DVD player as well. I also own a Nintendo Wii (480p output) and watch some standard definition TV (crap output).

I'm looking at the following 40" Sony Bravia tvs. To be honest, I'm not sure if one is supposed to be better than the other.

Sony Bravia KDL-40VL130
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11233186&search=bravia&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=bravia&Ntt=bravia&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Sony Bravia KDL-40W3000
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KDL-40W3000-1080p-HDTV/dp/B000SB7XMY/ref=sr_1_2/105-9294899-0538025?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189372176&sr=1-2

Are there any other LCDs you would recommend? I owned a Sony Bravia KDL-40S2000. The standard def TV and the Wii were so poor looking that I almost completely avoided using them. Does this issue still exist on the newer Bravia TVs?

2. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I own a Sony 40" 3000D (see the owners thread). SD really depends on the bitrate of the channel you are watching, and how the programme was originally recorded. Watch something like ITV3 and it can look like VHS. Watch something like House on Channel 5, and it looks like a good quality DVD. Obviously there are many setup options, but I'm overall very happy with it.

The Wii was a bit of a nightmare, but I've finally got it looking good. The secret is that the sharpness has to be right down, but the truth is this - The Wii looked better on my old CRT via RGB than it does on my new telly in 480p.

The solution I've arrived at is to play something like RE4 with the console set to 4:3. This puts the game in a smaller widescreen window, which looks really great, with the obvious compromise that you haven't got a full screen picture. I've posted some pictures and settings in the Sony D3000 owners thread, if you care to take a look.

The Wii isn't a HD signal, so it's always going to be problematic, same as SD telly. I don't know what scalers might do for it, but I'm happy to compromise. It's still my favourite current gen console, even though the 360 looks a lot "better".

3. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Your uses are SD and HD both.But to clear the things you should answer:Which you play more?The Xbox 360 or the Wii?If the xbox 360 then the 40W3000.If the wii then a better option will be an 720p tv.Such the Sony 40S3000

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've got my Wii connected to a 26" Bravia. RGB looked pretty good imo but I did get a component cable. Zelda looks much better for this but my other games you hardly notice any difference. Sometimes the 576i over 480p looks better cause of the extra res imo.