Sony Bravia OLED TV and Rega P3 turntable

Carlisle Lad

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for advice.

Hopefully I'm in the right place!

I am planning a new set up in a dining room conversion to a snug.

My intial thoughts are:

Sony Bravia KD55A85BU 55" Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR OLED TV (Wall mounted)
Rega Planar 3 Turntable
Marantz PM7000n integrated streaming amplifier
KEF LS50 Meta bookshelf speakers in blue

I plan to run 3 HDMI's, a CAT3 and an optical cable chased into a solid internal wall for future proofing purposes.
Power and aerial will be socketing behind the TV.

I'm planning to HDMI ARC the TV into the AMP for convenience.
Is this the best option or should I use an optical cable?

Will I still get the benefit of the Acoustic Surface Audio from the Sony screen or will all audio go through the KEF's?

Many thanks in advance for advice folks.

Your Marantz PM7000n amp hasn;t an HDMI output so how exactly are you proposing to convey audio from your TV to the amp using ARC? Audio REturn Channel is an optional element of HDMI whereby the ARC enabled input on the TV is reporposed so that audio can be sent along the HDMI cable and into a device ARC enabled HDMI output.

You'd need to use the TV's optical audio output if wanting to connect the TV to your amp. You'd need to set the TV's digital output to 2 channel PCM which would utilise a centre channel which the screen can be assigned as in a surround setup. THe screen wouldn't eminate any audio while outputting 2 channel PCM via the optical audio output.

Your Marantz PM7000n amp hasn;t an HDMI output so how exactly are you proposing to convey audio from your TV to the amp using ARC? Audio REturn Channel is an optional element of HDMI whereby the ARC enabled input on the TV is reporposed so that audio can be sent along the HDMI cable and into a device ARC enabled HDMI output.

You'd need to use the TV's optical audio output if wanting to connect the TV to your amp. You'd need to set the TV's digital output to 2 channel PCM which would utilise a centre channel which the screen can be assigned as in a surround setup. THe screen wouldn't eminate any audio while outputting 2 channel PCM via the optical audio output.
Thanks Dante, you are correct! I assumed the amp had an ARC connection. Do you compromise on audio quality with HDMI ARC v's Optical? If not I'll look for an amp with an HDMI ARC output. First thoughts are the Cyrus One Cast.

If only wanting to convey 2 channel stereo then you'd be able to access the same quality of digital audio as you'd have gotten via HDMI ARC. It would be the same 2 channel PCM signal in either instance.

If only wanting to convey 2 channel stereo then you'd be able to access the same quality of digital audio as you'd have gotten via HDMI ARC. It would be the same 2 channel PCM signal in either instance.
Plus not using ARC means you don't have to enable HDMI CEC, which will probably save you a world of grief.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom