• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony Bravia Model numbers doing my head in!

ubrain

Firstly hello, I've been lurking a few days trying to soak up all the relevant info in order to make the right choice re. LCD tele.
So I'm thinking somewhere around 32" or 37", 40" max and I detect a strong leaning towards the Sony's around here so I start paying them a little more attention. Then my (13yr old) son and I hit the high st and check out how some of them actually look. My eyes were definitely drawn to the pictures on the Sonys and without prior briefing my son had the same preferance.

But... once I get down to the nitty gritty of actually nailing the exact model I want, it just gets messy!
Just ignoring the larger models for now, in 32" I've seen:
KDL32S3000
KDL32S3000U
KDL32D3000
KDL32P3000
KDL32M3000
KDL32T3000
KDL32U3000
KDL32S3020
KDL32P3020
KDL32W4000U
...and every time I think I know what's what, another model seems to turn up!

sorry, rant over.

Anyone know what the difference is between a s3000 and a s3020? Or perhaps what a M3000 is?

mike7

Distinguished Member
I suppose your best bet is to check out the Sony UK website to find out what the current models are and the specifications. The KDL32U3000 models are the lowest spec and have little in the way of picture enhancement technology. You will usually find them only in supermarkets. The D3000 model is the highest spec model of all the '3000' ones you quoted. The rest come somewhere in between. Not sure what an M is. I'm guessing it is an imported set of some sort. Google it and it seems to be priced in Dollars.

The difference with a '-20' is that the case is a different colour from the standard black.

http://www.sony.co.uk

Many dealers leave the final 'U' off. It indicates that the set is made for the UK market so all those intended for sale in this country will have a 'U' at the end of the model number.

Dealers will be discounting the 3000 series like mad over the next few months to get rid of old stock as the 4000 series is coming on to the market. The 32W4000 has recently been released. I saw one yesterday and was very impressed.I've just ordered one. The major difference is that it has a Full HD 1080p screen whereas the older models are 720 HD Ready. It is interesting to see that the list prices for the newer,supposedly better, models are much less that the 3000 series was when they were launched a year ago. I suspect this is going to give dealers a bit of a problem. I detected yesterday that many local dealers are holding back on releasing the new stuff in order to off-load older stock. Good hunting !

nehalem

Its a pain - checkout the sony style uk page also as I think there is a comparison tool on there so you can easily see step up features

ubrain

:thumbsup: Thanks Guys!

I had already found the comparison tools on the Sony.co.uk and sony style sites and while each initially eased my pain, each subsequently threw something else into the mix to confuse me further.
For example. The Sony Style site refers to a KDL32T3000 which is entirely absent from the comparison tool on Sony.co.uk ... and so on :rolleyes:

So... 3000 is black and 3020 is silver? That's one of the variables nailed.
I'd quite like to go to 37" so was looking at the 37P3020 but am concerned re. how the 'P' comes up short against the 'S' since the 32P3000 is cheaper than the 32S3000 (isn't it?).

Would I prefer the smaller 32S to the 37P? How do I know? It's so hard to tell over the internet;)

ubrain

Oops, here's another one
KDL-32S2510U

Does anyone know the key differences between the 32P3020 and the 32S3020?
The Sony comparison engine says the 'S' has 'WCG-CCFL' while the 'P' only has CCFL. However I did see a review describing the WCG-CCFL of a 'P' model so I don't what the truth is. If it is absent from the 'P' series, does it make a big difference?

mike7

Distinguished Member
Oops, here's another one
KDL-32S2510U

Does anyone know the key differences between the 32P3020 and the 32S3020?
The Sony comparison engine says the 'S' has 'WCG-CCFL' while the 'P' only has CCFL. However I did see a review describing the WCG-CCFL of a 'P' model so I don't what the truth is. If it is absent from the 'P' series, does it make a big difference?

I think you are really beating yourself up over this (especially at 3AM !!). The differences are marginal. Often the choice of variations depends on what use the set is being put to. Some are marginally better where Games, or Sport are concerned. I would suspect that side by side few people would spot one variation from another. You really need to go and look at these sets. Insist on a proper demo using the type of source you intend using - Sky, Freeview, BluRay etc. In particular check out the Freeview performance because that is what you are going to be watching most. Most decent stores should be able to this.

All the sets you quote (except the 4000) are probably only going to be around for another few months and production has on many of them, in all probability, ceased. It's a buyers market right now. This should give you scope to haggle over shop prices. They need to get rid of them. Internet purchase is fine, until something goes wrong and you have to pay out to return the set.

I think Sony have learned a lesson from the type of confusion you have experienced. The planned new releases are far less complicated and P, T and D's are being dropped.

ubrain

thanks for caring mike7: 3AM's just when I get 'me' time :)

I just don't buy TV's very often - actually, the last one I bought cost me £30 2nd hand about 20 yrs ago (I guess that may be seen as heresy around here). It's a 26" Sony and still going strong, although I understand there may be a few new features on more recent models;)

You'll be pleased to hear I just ordered a kdl-37p3020.
It's a factory refurb at £399 inc delivery. The feedback on the seller was very favourable so it seemed like a good idea.

ubrain

OK, now I just want to reassure you that I have not lost my mind and devoted my life obsessively to resolving this but I have discovered a few of them in my travels since.

KDL32S3000 (is really the 'referance' model isn't it)
KDL32S3000U (is the same TV, the 'U' possibly identifying UK model)
KDL32S3020 (is the S3000 in grey rather than black)
KDL32T3000 (is the S3000 with a swivel stand:rolleyes:)

KDL32D3000 (is 100mz and a bit more flash)
KDL32P3000 (doesn't have the 'live colour' of the S3000)
KDL32P3020 (the P3000 in Grey)
KDL32U3000 (the cheapo Supermarket version)
KDL32W4000U (The first of the 'New' range)

KDL32M3000 (perhaps the 'M' stands for mystery?)

kourosh

Distinguished Member
thanks for caring mike7: 3AM's just when I get 'me' time :)

I just don't buy TV's very often - actually, the last one I bought cost me £30 2nd hand about 20 yrs ago (I guess that may be seen as heresy around here). It's a 26" Sony and still going strong, although I understand there may be a few new features on more recent models;)

You'll be pleased to hear I just ordered a kdl-37p3020.
It's a factory refurb at £399 inc delivery. The feedback on the seller was very favourable so it seemed like a good idea.

thats a cracking price,and not a bad set:thumbsup:

kourosh

Distinguished Member
OK, now I just want to reassure you that I have not lost my mind and devoted my life obsessively to resolving this but I have discovered a few of them in my travels since.

KDL32S3000 (is really the 'referance' model isn't it)
KDL32S3000U (is the same TV, the 'U' possibly identifying UK model)
KDL32S3020 (is the S3000 in grey rather than black)
KDL32T3000 (is the S3000 with a swivel stand:rolleyes:)

KDL32D3000 (is 100mz and a bit more flash)
KDL32P3000 (doesn't have the 'live colour' of the S3000)
KDL32P3020 (the P3000 in Grey)
KDL32U3000 (the cheapo Supermarket version)
KDL32W4000U (The first of the 'New' range)

KDL32M3000 (perhaps the 'M' stands for mystery?)

The T has no swivel stand;) its basicly the same specs as the S just different casing colour:smashin:
The range specs go like this;

U
P
S
T
D will be discon soon,replaced by the E
V
E not yet released
W
X

mike7

Distinguished Member
The E has the same specification as the new W4000, but it is in a white frame case and designed for wall mounting. Price difference is quite a lot higher than the W. Not really are placement for the D as it lacks 100hz although people are not considering that too important.

kourosh

Distinguished Member
The E has the same specification as the new W4000, but it is in a white frame case and designed for wall mounting. Price difference is quite a lot higher than the W. Not really are placement for the D as it lacks 100hz although people are not considering that too important.

the current 40D3500 dosent have 100htz;) the 40D3000 did but that was discon last Sept

and the 32D3000 which had 100htz is also discon,now this was the top 32" LCD sony did so as the 32W4000 is the top 32" sony do...i would say it has replaced it;)

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Sony really did make a mess of the new LCDs.

When they launched Bravia it was simply do I buy V or S. Then it became do I buy V, S, or X. Then V, S, X, or W.

Then they came out with U, T, P, E, and every other letter in the alphabet, each one was pretty much a re-badging of the older models, I think the U was basically the S2000 when they introduced the S2500/3000.

Generally the bigger you go the more expensive you want to go, although at 37" I don't think that is too much of an issue. I would suggest getting the S or the V, only issue is the current V is butt ugly.

As pointed out, shops have to get rid of this stuff ASAP, and if you aren't worried about getting the newest spec then it is bargain hunting. If you plan to watch high-def, especially Blu-ray then something like the D is better maybe the V, otherwise just find one that fits your budget and of course looks good.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom