SONY Bravia KDL46XBR2 pink purple screen

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by bbstorm4me, Jun 16, 2009.

1. bbstorm4me

bbstorm4me
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a SONY Bravia KDL46XBR2. works great with one exception. I have COMCAST cable and HD. But COMCAST also has DIGITAL and ANALOG channels.

Like 3-79 or so is ANALOG, 80-699 is DIGITAL and 700-799 HD, 800-up is Payperview.

So if I am on 706 it is HD and looks great. If I swith to 59 for FOX it goes to analog and the screen blinks and the TV has to SYNC with the signal change.

Sometimes it stays blank (black) and I have to turn the TV OFF and ON or switch channels to get it to "re-sync" then it loogs OK again.

Other times when I change to 59 from HD it will be PURPLE or PINK and GREEEN like one of the color guns is out in the old Cathode ray tubes (CRT) TVs.

Again if I turn the TV OFF and ON it syncs up and is fine. Back to normal colors. It does this about 50% of the time that I change between HD to a Analog or DIGITAL signal. Only from HD down to the others never the other way.

I tried changing HDMI ports and it seemed to help for a few hours or a day or so. But it is getting worse.

The first time it started was about 6 or so months ago maybe a year ago when COMCAST changed their menu system and downloaded a new menu system aat 2:00 AM. Immediately after that I had issues with the TV doing this.

It did it just once in a while like 5% or the time but now it is up to about 50% of the time.

COMCAST has checked the cabling and the signal strength and it si all OK. I have COMCAST PHONE now too and high speed Cable Modem 15-25Mb.

It all seems fine but the TV keeps doing this. And only on this TV not my other one which does not support HD.

Any ideas on how to get it to stop going PURPLE?

It is a real pain to have to turn the TV OFF and ON anytime I change channels to digital or ANALOG from HD.

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    This is a UK forum, so you might get a faster response by visiting AVS Forum (the closest US equivalent).

With that said, I'll try to help - if you're accessing these channels through the Comcast box connected over HDMI, the analog channels aren't actually analog. It sounds like the box and TV have some sort of handshaking issue.

Without having used the Comcast box myself, it's hard to say, but if you go into its setup menus, is there some way to force it to output 1080p (or 1080i) video at all times? It sounds like the change between SD and HD is causing the issues.

Failing that, does it have a Component video connection?

3. bbstorm4me

bbstorm4me
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good thoughts. I will check it out. Yest there is a component video option. I could give that a try to eliminate the HDMI/DVI connection. The COMCAST has DVI and the TV HDMI so the cable switches it.

I will check on the cable box settings....I do not see anything obvious that would set it to 1080i or p all the time.

Does switching to the component video limit some of the clarity/resolution versus HDMI?

Will I loose image clarity/resolution and definition switching to it?

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    It depends on the TV, some handle Component better than others. I don't think it would be noticeable, though.

5. bbstorm4me

bbstorm4me
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I just rememebered that COMCAST DVR is only 1080i and conponemt video is up to 1080i on the SONY so I guess it would be OK. I will give it a shot.

The only 1080p source I have is the PS3.