Sony Bravia KDL40x2000 and audio

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Scorpse, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Scorpse

Scorpse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I am hoping someone can assist me with setting up my Bravia to run audio through my amp. Currently I have the an optical cable running from the Bravia to the amp. The audio from TV is going through ok.

Once I connected my DVD player to the BRavia I thought that the Bravia would send the audio signal to the amp. Unfortunaly this is not happening. When the DVD is playing the audio will only come from the Bravia. Is there a setting I am missing?

:lease:

2. gadget boy

gadget boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Scorpse,

I don't know what your souces are but I have the audio out from both of mine connected via my amp. My DV79 via digital (coax) and Sky HD via optical. I have a single HDMI lead running to AV6 on my 52x2000. I use the amp to switch between them.

In short, I use the Bravia for display only. I have the speaker setting to off.

Slightly OT, do you have anything connected to AV5? I cant seem to get anything displayed on it apart from DVI-HDMI convered output from my Apple Mac.

GB

3. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I can't speak for your model with absolute certainty as I have a 55KDS but my understanding is it's the same across the bravia range that the optical out is only for sound from the internal freeview tuner.

The TV does not pass through or convert other audio feeds to the optical. So you will need to connect your dvd direct to your amp by digital optical or coaxial to get the surround sound from your dvd to the amplifier.

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    As mentioned above, you're best running sources through the av reciever and then from there into the TV.

I assume you have Cable/Sky TV, so:

Run Sky (or NTL/Virgin) video cable into av reciever along with audio (you will need a Digital Optical or Digital Coaxial cable if you want to have the possibility of surround sound)

Run the DVD player 's audio and video cables into the av reciever.

Connect the AV reciever's audio pre-out and also it's video out into the AV reciever.

You can then have sound from your av speakers, or turn the volume down and have it coming out of the TV instead.

Hope that helps, that's the general layout.

Dan.