Sony Bravia KDL40T3500 Anyone got one?

steveh07

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has this model and how happy they are with it?

Pros/Cons ect.

Regards

Steve

Hi i have got one bought it on boxing day.
It is a great tv the picture is the best i have tweeked it of course to my own settings its great the swivle stand is a nice touch its a god spec and the sound is quality its 1080p loads to tweek to make just right. and its better in my view than any other make you cant go wrong with a sony. so thats the good points. i have got no bad points
However i have read a review about the kdl_40w2000 which i belive is 1 year older than this model but almost the same spec, about some sets haveing a cloud like problem on dark scenes. But i think this was only a few sets and only in the w seires my screen is perfect. So to sum it up its a great set.
If you want any picture settings just ask i have tweeked my settings to what i belive are the best to get the most out of this stunner.What do you think of this model?:hiya::thumbsup:

Hi i have got one bought it on boxing day.
It is a great tv the picture is the best i have tweeked it of course to my own settings its great the swivle stand is a nice touch its a god spec and the sound is quality its 1080p loads to tweek to make just right. and its better in my view than any other make you cant go wrong with a sony. so thats the good points. i have got no bad points
However i have read a review about the kdl_40w2000 which i belive is 1 year older than this model but almost the same spec, about some sets haveing a cloud like problem on dark scenes. But i think this was only a few sets and only in the w seires my screen is perfect. So to sum it up its a great set.
If you want any picture settings just ask i have tweeked my settings to what i belive are the best to get the most out of this stunner.What do you think of this model?:hiya::thumbsup:

So far pleased as punch..then again I am used to a tiny CRT tv!
I would be good to know the settings you have tweeked to to try on mine Lanarkcat
Steve

np matey right try these setting with your free view and sky or cable. have you got hd?

PICTURE MODE - CUSTOM

BACKLIGHT - MIN

CONTRAST - MAX

BRIGHTNESS - 42

COLOUR - 47

COLOUR TEMPERATURE - WARM2

SHARPNESS - 8

NOISE REDUCTION - LOW

ADVANCED SETTINGS

BLACK CORRECTOR - OFF

ADV.CONTRAST ENHANCER - OFF

GAMMA - OFF

CLEAR WHITE - OFF

LIVE COLOUR - MED

COLOUR SPACE - WIDE

MPEG - OFF

ALIGHT BUT GIVE THESE SETTINGS A TRY LETT ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK IF YOU GOT BETTER SETTINGS LETT ME KNOW CHEERS.:hiya:

I bought one of these on Friday at Comet - £799.

I don't have HD yet, just Sky+

Some things which, due to their age, are clearly shot on old cameras, look very bad (like very low res images), but others, like more modern films look very good.

DVD's (not HD or Blu-ray) look very good also.

I guess the camera used to shoot the movie/show makes a big difference?

But throughout what I watch, I am getting a very slight "ghosting" on some things - outlines of people's heads, wording on the screen etc.

I have fiddled with the settings, but it's still hapenning.

I'll have a go with the settings you posted and see how I get on!

hmmmm i havent came across that problem but like you say try these settings should help lett us know how you get on,:D

What I meant was, the ghosting appeared around people's heads and on the edges of words which were in the programme/movie.

Not that outlines of heads or random writing was appearing!

I've adjusted my settings to match yours and it's much better, thanks.

Thats good to hear the settings tone things down a bit,
most of the problems ppl get can be fixed if you adjust the settings.
:smashin:

Hi
Anybody using this tv with sky HD,whats the picture quality like? I will be getting one on Saturday.

What I meant was, the ghosting appeared around people's heads and on the edges of words which were in the programme/movie.

Not that outlines of heads or random writing was appearing!

I've adjusted my settings to match yours and it's much better, thanks.

im getting the exact same problem on the 32 inch model, are you watching it through sky?

im getting the exact same problem on the 32 inch model, are you watching it through sky?
Yes - Sky via SCART lead for now (I upgrade the SCART earlier today as the ones I have are old now)

Change the settings to what LANARKCAT posted. It sorted it for me.

I think it's mainly due to the sharpness being too high, and the brightness to high also.

I had the sharpness at maximum, and the brightness quite high.

Well, out of the blue, tonight my TV picture is truly awful.

No settings have been touched, and the picture seems a blurry/out of focus. And I have severe interference from somewhere. Loads of diagonal lines across the screen. Putting the noise reduction up helps, but doesn't eliminate it.

Nothing is switched on anywhere near it, and just yesterday I changed the SCART to THIS one.

The picture was perfect yesterday. Tonight it's awful!

Any help out there?

Hd monkey thats a puzzler are you sure no settings have been toched.
Have you conected anything new since yesterday>?
is it with your sky?
or with the on board free view?
or erverything?
try all your scart leads make sure thay are secure, if so and you still have this problem then go to menu then settings reset your settings.
then try the settings again if it still doesnt work,then go to menu ,set up ,
then go to all reset.if it still doesnt work lett me know.:(

the scart lead you got should be up to the job. just a thought try your old scart lead the new one might be defective. good luck :arty::arty:

Well I had a play with the settings, but have ended up putting them back to pretty much where you have them. It's not so bad now.

The diagonal lines must have been interference from somewhere because they've gone now. No idea what caused it - there is nothing near the TV which was on.

I'm not using the onboard freeview as I don't have a digital aerial. All I have is Sky+ via SCART, plus DVD player, video and surround system (all off whilst I was trying to put it right).

I'm sitting 8 feet from the screen - is that too close I wonder?

Overall, I'd say the detail isn't as good as I expected. How much would this improve with HD (including SD channels, which I understand also improve once HD is connected).

I look at Plasmas in the shops, and because they don't have matt screens, they look clearer - more like glass.

Maybe I just need to get used to it. But for £799, I'm not sure I'm happy with it at the moment.

I SIT 7 FT FROM MINE AND I GET A GOOD PIC I GET A BETTER PIC FROM FREEVIEW
AS I DO FROM SKY.
DVD IS BETTER THAN SKY. HD DONT KNOW YET. DOES TAKE SOME GETTING USED 2.Happpy new year:thumbsup:

I watched Saving Private Ryan on DVD earlier, and it looked awesome.

I think it just depends on how old the production is. Surely the better the cameras that shot the production, the better the end result on the screen?

I also think my eyes aren't great!!! I need bed.

Looks great again now after some tweaking.

Cheers for the help mate and happy new year!

Well I've had it almost a week now.

If I'm honest, I'm a little dissapointed with the lag on the Sony. I know LCDs are renowned for it, but on certain channels - particularly Sky Sports, it's quite bad.

I kind of wish I'd gone for a plasma now - but then there is the energy consumption issue.

I can't believe on an £800 TV it's as bad as it is.

Don't get me wrong - it isn't awful, but considering the cost of the TV I expected it to be a bit better.

Unless of course there is a problem with the TV.

Some of it seems a little out of focus, but I'm not sure if that's me not eing used to the size - in a big picture there is a lot of background behind the in focus subject so it's more obvious.

I've tried adjusting the settings to all sorts of levels, but can't get it better than I've got it.

Anyone else suffer this or are they getting a pin sharp clear picture?

And will having HD make it any better?

Well I've had it almost a week now.

If I'm honest, I'm a little dissapointed with the lag on the Sony. I know LCDs are renowned for it, but on certain channels - particularly Sky Sports, it's quite bad.

I kind of wish I'd gone for a plasma now - but then there is the energy consumption issue.

I can't believe on an £800 TV it's as bad as it is.

Don't get me wrong - it isn't awful, but considering the cost of the TV I expected it to be a bit better.

Unless of course there is a problem with the TV.

Some of it seems a little out of focus, but I'm not sure if that's me not eing used to the size - in a big picture there is a lot of background behind the in focus subject so it's more obvious.

I've tried adjusting the settings to all sorts of levels, but can't get it better than I've got it.

Anyone else suffer this or are they getting a pin sharp clear picture?

And will having HD make it any better?

Has anyone additional settings for 40T3500 ??
I put the settings as shown above , and i got a very dark picture

Thanks in advance

np matey right try these setting with your free view and sky or cable. have you got hd?

PICTURE MODE - CUSTOM

BACKLIGHT - MIN

CONTRAST - MAX

BRIGHTNESS - 42

COLOUR - 47

COLOUR TEMPERATURE - WARM2

SHARPNESS - 8

NOISE REDUCTION - LOW

ADVANCED SETTINGS

BLACK CORRECTOR - OFF

ADV.CONTRAST ENHANCER - OFF

GAMMA - OFF

CLEAR WHITE - OFF

LIVE COLOUR - MED

COLOUR SPACE - WIDE

MPEG - OFF

ALIGHT BUT GIVE THESE SETTINGS A TRY LETT ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK IF YOU GOT BETTER SETTINGS LETT ME KNOW CHEERS.:hiya:

Has anyone additional settings for 40T3500 ??
I put the settings as shown above , and i got a very dark picture

Thanks in advance

I have used these settings and it definitely improved the picture. I intend on using the digital video essentials DVD this evening to see if it can be improved further. I'll post settings back here if I make any changes

Hi,
Just got this tv and my settings are
CUSTOM
BACKLIGHT 6
CONTRAST 75
BRIGHTNESS 32
CONTRAST 45

COLOUR TEMP WARM1
SHARPNESS MIN
NOISE REDUCTION OFF

ADVANCED SETTINGS
BLACK CORRECTOR OFF
ADV CONTRAST OFF
GAMMA MEDIUM
CLEAR WHITE OFF
LIVE COLOUR HIGH
COLOUR SPACE WIDE
MPEG NOISE OFF

I get a superb picture with these settings.One thing i have noticed,if backlight is set to min the picture is too dark.

I just got my 40T3500 and calibrated using the GetGray Callibration disk.
Make sure LIGHT SENSOR is OFF for this.

I also adjusted the gray scale using the white balance settings in the service menu, but they actually didn't need much tweaking. The factory seetings were pretty good.

The picture is fantastic from satellite via SCART and from my Ubuntu/nVidia media center via HDMI.

My setting are:
CUSTOM
BACKLIGHT 3
CONTRAST MAX
BRIGHTNESS 50
COLOUR 50

COLOUR TEMP WARM2
SHARPNESS MIN
NOISE REDUCTION OFF

ADVANCED SETTINGS
BLACK CORRECTOR OFF
ADV CONTRAST OFF
GAMMA OFF
CLEAR WHITE OFF
LIVE COLOUR OFF
COLOUR SPACE NORMAL
MPEG NOISE OFF

POWER SAVING MIN
LIGHT SENSOR ON

Having the LIGHT SENSOR on dims the picture a little bit too in a dark room much but I find it convenient since I have a lot of sunlight during the day and don't want to play with the settings all the time.

- Fred

Hi,
Just got this tv and my settings are
CUSTOM
BACKLIGHT 6
CONTRAST 75
BRIGHTNESS 32
CONTRAST 45

COLOUR TEMP WARM1
SHARPNESS MIN
NOISE REDUCTION OFF

ADVANCED SETTINGS
BLACK CORRECTOR OFF
ADV CONTRAST OFF
GAMMA MEDIUM
CLEAR WHITE OFF
LIVE COLOUR HIGH
COLOUR SPACE WIDE
MPEG NOISE OFF

I get a superb picture with these settings.One thing i have noticed,if backlight is set to min the picture is too dark.
Simple solution - turn your brightness up, then your backlight down a little. As far as I remember increasing the backlight setting can reduce the life of it, and the TV if it isn't replaceable.

I just got my 40T3500 and calibrated using the GetGray Callibration disk.
Make sure LIGHT SENSOR is OFF for this.

I also adjusted the gray scale using the white balance settings in the service menu, but they actually didn't need much tweaking. The factory seetings were pretty good.

The picture is fantastic from satellite via SCART and from my Ubuntu/nVidia media center via HDMI.

My setting are:
CUSTOM
BACKLIGHT 3
CONTRAST MAX
BRIGHTNESS 50
COLOUR 50

COLOUR TEMP WARM2
SHARPNESS MIN
NOISE REDUCTION OFF

ADVANCED SETTINGS
BLACK CORRECTOR OFF
ADV CONTRAST OFF
GAMMA OFF
CLEAR WHITE OFF
LIVE COLOUR OFF
COLOUR SPACE NORMAL
MPEG NOISE OFF

POWER SAVING MIN
LIGHT SENSOR ON

Having the LIGHT SENSOR on dims the picture a little bit too in a dark room much but I find it convenient since I have a lot of sunlight during the day and don't want to play with the settings all the time.

- Fred
Fred - you're a star. It's so difficult to get the settings right, and often it's when other people find the right settings and post them, that it becomes easier to find the best way to have them.

I've just mirrored yours, and my picture is fantastic. Much better.

Amazing what a few small changes can make.

Thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom