• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony Bravia KDL20S3000 - Blurring verdict?

Up2nogood_316

Standard Member
Hi,

Im on the verge of getting the 20" sony bravia KDL-20S3000 but im not sold completely...

basically i had a CRT crappy little tv in here and i want to update it to something a bit more respectable.. im a gamer and play the Xbox360, i have the composite leads it comes with and also the VGA cable.

now this is where i need your help. i have a L90D+ hyundai PC monitor, which i sometimes use with my 360 via the VGA cable. its a nice monitor BUT my god the motion blur on football games is literally doing my head in. on fifa and pro evo i have resorted to changing the view to looking vertically up the pitch so the blurring isnt so bad as the camera isnt moving as much. lol yes, you read that right. pathetic isnt it?

i NEED to know... with this set, will the blurring be better? im sick to death of feeling my eyes go out of focus with every goal kick as a blurring mess manifests on the screen. my cousin has a LCD set in his front room and the blurring is hardly noticable, so i asked him what the response time is on his set... he said 8ms. which is the same as my hyundai. and critically the sony is 8ms aswell.

i have no idea whether the hyundai is just crap, or 8ms is not fast enough, would using composite on the sony reduce blurring.. i want to order the sony 2moro so it comes in time for my birthday IF its worth it..

so what do you reckon?

on a side note - in total seriousness - does watching a blurring LCD screen for long periods of time actually do anything to your eyesight?! at first i was geniunely concerned for my sight as i can literally feel my eyes just losing focus!! we've all heard of square eyes but this is ridiculous!

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
All LCDs blur, that's a fact!

And the Sony wont help as it has TN panel.

You may want to try getting the Sharp 19", or save up a bit.

PS: If motion blue really bothers you, could get a CRT monitor from eBay:cool:

PPS: Some games have in-game motion blur. So go the menu and see if there's an option to disable it.

Up2nogood_316

Standard Member
fair point, but as i said i dont notice it on my cousins LCD...

maybe its to do with sitting further away? i just dont know...

plus - what do you mean by TN panel? :(

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
(4.2) List of Consumer LCD Panels: ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

 TN (Twisted Nematic): The low-end LCD panel commonly used in budget LCD monitors to TVs. It has poor viewing angle, low color fidelity, poor contrast and average blacks, but the overall quality of the panel tent to vary between manufactures and type. It is also the most energy efficient out of all LCD panels.

However, the new TN panel technology revitalized the TN market by having higher contrast ratio, faster response and wider viewing angles. But the over-all quality remains inferior to other panels.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/779433-list-lcd-tvs-you-should-avoid-all-costs.html

Up2nogood_316

Standard Member
where does it say it has a TN panel on that actual set? id be interested to see as i cant see that info anywhere..

on the plus side ill be interested to see what this set is like, im not that bothered about the veiwing angle as ill only be seeing it head on and from what ive read TN have improved in recent years and the response times have always seemed quite good? as i said my main gripe with lcds is purely the motion issue

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
Viewing angle is just a means of identification. And even if you view it directly, you still wont be able to get a even image corner to corner.

TN panels have improved over the years, but they still lack in all departments accept for energy efficiency.

Anyway, Sony stopped using PVA panels on their 20" range some time ago due to cost.

In fact, the last 19/20" TV to have a quality panel is the Sharp I recommended.

Up2nogood_316

Standard Member
well thats fair enough, like i said i cant find anywhere which says what type of panel the sony uses but if you say they ALL have a TN panel now ill have to take your word for it until i see something otherwise.

but as i said, im more bothered about whether there is motion blur or not, if im not happy with the colours ill spend half an hour in the colouring calibration menu. if it blurs i wont care what shade of green the panel displays and it will be back in the box and posted off quick enough to cause a whole new type of 'blurring'

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
is it possible for you to buy a monitor atp?

TVs that size are usually designed for the Kitchen (not the gamer).

Up2nogood_316

Standard Member
yes, that was my plan with my current monitor, the hyundai, but this is so horrendous so im going to see if the tv is any better... if its bad ill send it back and get another monitor i think

Up2nogood_316

Standard Member
well this lcd came today and it is horrendous lol the blurring is like someones spread seaweed on the screen while playing football games. thats going back straight away. thanks for wasting my time sony

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom