Question Sony Bravia KDL-43WF66... help?

Archtop

Novice Member
Reaction score
The panel went on my old Bravia KDL-40EX72, so I've just bought a KDL-43WF66 to replace it, since it looked like roughly the equivalent modern model. I'm having a few problems getting a good picture though, and I'm not so expert that I really know what I'm doing, so I wondered if anyone could help.

The main problem is that any sort of panning or scrolling makes the image judder slightly. I've always had this problem watching mp4 files etc through my Playstation, so I tended to use the inbuilt player on the old TV. But my new TV has worse judder than the PS4. It happens on HD, SD and sub-SD pictures whenever there's camera movement, to the point where trying to watch football highlights on YouTube - the ones SkySports put up there, not some horrendous quality upload - is almost impossible. When I'm watching TV, the HD image is very clear and bright, but as soon as it moves sideways, that judder / stutter / flicker effect begins, and I start getting a headache. It seems weird that this should be what it looks like on the default picture settings. I've played around with a few settings but nothing seems to be fixing this. The weirdest was the "LED motion" setting, which just made the picture a bit darker and seemed not to do anything else.

Secondly, DVDs look horrible. My old TV seemed to upscale quite nicely, whereas now there's a slight pixel-y effect (as though the picture is much lower res than it really is) and swirling noise in the background. There also seems to be less detail. It's almost like watching a RealPlayer stream from 1999 - no, that's an exaggeration, but far closer than you'd expect in 2019. It really doesn't look good. And sub-DVD quality stuff on a USB stick or YouTube, which was watchable before, now looks really, really bad.

Is anyone familiar enough with Sony's picture settings - and what they really do - to help me out? I shouldn't really be sitting here wishing I could have my ancient, obsolete Bravia back. It's bad enough that I've downgraded from three HDMI inputs to two, and now the two USB slots are so close together that you can't have a USB stick in both of them at the same time...

Try and translate these as closely as you can to your TV. My sister has the 40WE66 and we managed to get hers producing a picture she is very happy with: Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much. I was searching around for threads on comparable TVs, but I wasn't sure which would be closest to mine. That does look quite similar in terms of picture options.

(I've noticed that this new TV looks fantastic when playing PS4 games - definitely better than the old one - so that's a plus. I can tell that this is a much newer TV with a more advanced panel. I guess I'm just unusual in that I watch a lot of old low-res content, and the default set-up probably isn't done with me in mind. If I can just find a way to stop the judder on HD TV and then make SD and sub-SD content look a bit less grimy, I reckon I'll be very happy with it.)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom