Sony Bravia KDL-40w2000 picture problem

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by adecab, Dec 29, 2006.

1. adecab

adecab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all out there,

First time so go easy, just brought a Sony LCD and not happy with the picture, seems to be very pixilated on a lot of programmes, so much so that its started to get on my nerves.

The TV is plugged into a SKY + which is also new, via a scart lead, QED P2120 I think. My DVD player is hooked by a HDMI also from QED and the picture is better on that and on the XBOX 360 the picture is also good.

It’s just the bloody:oops: programmes that are sending around the bend, I’ve tried al sorts of "fine tuning" but just the same.

Can anyone help me out there, is the TV broken in some way, what setting can you recommend

Any advice would be gratefully received.:lease: :lease: :lease:

Many thanks

2. Flugzeugler

Flugzeugler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    There may be nothing wrong with your TV. Broadcast material is extremely variable in quality.

How far from the screen do you sit when viewing?

3. adecab

adecab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its between 3 and 4 mtrs away, another thing i forgot to mention when on the computer the theres movement on the edges

4. Dan-h

Dan-h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I don't have Sky (nor intend to) but have found that setting SCART connections to use RGB is a great improvement. I've found some standard FreeView programmes to be very good but others to be very poor quality, so agree with Bravia.
    If you find the same then it might be down to the quality of Sky+'s programmes?

Most of the rest of my family prefer the "Standard" setting so I've ended up setting the "Custom" setting to be similar but with lower backlight for movies at night.
    I'm happy with the quality and only use cheap but decent HDMI, SCART & aerial cables.

5. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    There is a great variation in the quality of pictures from various channels on Sky. However you should not see any pixelation on channels such as BBC1 (Some UK TV channels do seem to have a fault at the moment where the picture goes pixelated occasionally). If you are then firstly check the sky+. In the Services/System Setup/picture menu ensure the output is set to RGB - remember you have to save changes to settings before you exit the menu. Also while in System Setup menu check the Signal strength. Don't worry about the actual level but if its varying then the problem could be a tree partially obstructing the dish.

Certainly the fault should not be on the TV. The TV's processing can introduce effects on moving pictures and can be jerky which can be reduced by turning off the processing (use the Custom setting on each input separately). One way to check if the problem is on the Sky+ or the TV is to look at the Freeview pictures from the internal tuner if those pictures are OK it points to a problem in the Sky+.

6. adecab

adecab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the help i'll try that today and report back

Cheers

7. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    This must be a fault in the sky box/dish/LNB. May well be in the dish alignment. Any high winds lately?

8. clual

clual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    sounds like you may need to turn the sharpness right down and also have a fiddle with the mpeg compression settings.

9. JamesU2002

JamesU2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  10. Rajveer

Rajveer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I agree, I own this set and had this problem at first, thinking "what have I done purchasing such an expensive set!" But after reducing sharpness to around the 14-15 mark and setting mpeg compression to low/medium, it looks great!

11. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Personally I use Sharpness set at a max of 4 as I hate artificial edges effects and the MPEG noise reduction to off. The settings thread has loads of good imformation in it.

12. adecab

adecab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I've done a few adjustments and found that my Sky was set to PAL, since changed that to RGB and the brightness and contrasts have been adjusted, its now looking a lot better, will have a look at other peoples setting to explore more.

Thanks guys for your help :thumbsup: :thumbsup: