Answered SONY BRAVIA KD55X8509C or SAMSUNG UE55JU7000

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by rush8080, Jul 18, 2015.

1. rush8080

rush8080
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys my old plasma tv is dead. Need to buy a new TV 4k and 3d is must. as well as an optical output. can't decide between Sams Ue55ju7000 and sony kd55x8509c. Wife and the kids liked the sony( we visited the local currys store but unfortunaly they didn't have the samsung on display) any ideas please post.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by rush8080, Jul 21, 2015 (1 points)
  3. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Both of them seem to get good reviews if you look online.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  4. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
  5. rush8080

rush8080
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi simonlewis. We have seen the Sony TV and been given a demo at currys. It's looked amazing. The shop assistant plugged in a USB stick and said the content is HD. But the picture looked like 4k. I don't know if he was telling me the truth but we all sold on that picture quality. I want to know if the samy is any better than the Sony. I can't find any professional reviews online for both. I'll try currys next weekend to see if they have the samy to compare. Thanks anyway

6. pompeyjim

pompeyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    No the Samsung is not better. I have had both and the Sony has a better picture and is £200 cheaper.

7. rush8080

rush8080
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best Answer
    Thanks for the tip pompeyjim. Is there any better alternative for around £1800.

8. jalba

jalba
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't there a few problems with the kd55x8509c in that some of the features advertised are not yet functioning and others that are, remain slightly problematic? Buyers are talking about repeated software upgrades.
    Having said that, I like the look of the silver model. I did, however, find the stand to be a bit shaky.
    If anyone has one I would like to know how good SD is as I anticipate watching many such programmes for some time yet.

9. pompeyjim

pompeyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well I am very tempted to take mine back, get a 60w605 for £699 and just buy an android tv box for the smart features. The x85c has a fantastic picture, but very buggy! since the last update, the volume button on the remote no longer works when using an av receiver

10. rush8080

rush8080
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the TV today from richer sounds. Took about hour to do the update. Brilliant picture quilting. Even the smallest upscaling is good. Only down side at the moment after few hours of use is no back lit on remote. More updates if needed. Also it doesn't looks like 55 inch. Next to my 50 inch plasma it looked tiny.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  11. jalba

jalba
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have bought the KD55X8509C could you elaborate on how good it is and any negatives. I would particularly be interested in how good SD is. I say this because my wife conceded a new and larger TV so that she can enjoy the tennis better. Wimbledon and Queens etc is still on SD.

Our current 46" 1080p Samsung has an excellent SD picture.

We watch on Freeview and Freesat. I assume that it can also display Freesat in an unordered fashion. Have you tried it and if so, how was it?

12. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Looking at these two sets as well - Sony 8509 and Samsung UE55JU7000 - but only seen the Sony so far as a replacement for a crappy Panasonic TX58A802b that is going back to Richer Sounds after 3 weeks.

The Sony 8509 looked great with a 4k demo feed in Currys but have not seen the Samsung yet, only the curved UE55JU7500 that was running a 4k demo loop as well and looked brilliant.

Have heard the Android operating system on the Sony is a total balls ache though??

And noted that the Sony is now just £1,299 at Currys and Richer Sounds but still £1,449 at John Lewis...

13. rush8080

rush8080
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I haven't yet calibrated the set. Out of the box HD is excellent. SD upscaling is good too but not as good as HD upscaling.

14. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Went for the Sony KD55X8509C as we saw it again at the weekend and it's a further 10% off the reduced £1,299 ticket price with Richer Sounds (ends today) so only £1,169...

15. brett7365

brett7365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry to gazump this thread but I too am looking at a sony but my other option is the LG uf850, my reasons for not considering Samsung.. I have had two that developed horizontal lines after 18 months each, then a quick google search and it appears its a very common problem and the ribbon cables are at fault... The LG has passive 3d which from what I have seen appears to be much better than active (just my opinion from watching active 3d on a Sammy and then passive on a LG) I'm guessing most would go down the sony route? Simply electricals in Bolton have the Sony for £1169 with 5 year warranty.

16. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Getting our new Sony KD55X8509 on the wall bracket tomorrow and will report back. Was advised to do the various updates first and glad I did as they took an hour or so....

17. brett7365

brett7365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So i had ordered the sony assuming it was better, then was at costco in sheffield and they had it next to the lg uf860v sony was 1169 and lg 1199 for 55" versions, picture quality was identical, i ended taking an lg as it came with 2 pairs of 3d glasses and to buy new ones is £10 per pair, the proper sony ones are £100 per pair and you dont get any with it!!

18. digitalurban

digitalurban
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Turns out the Sony does not convert 2D to 3D, or include glasses so the LG might be the best option...

19. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64

Fair enough.

I couldn't care less about 3D and am happy with the Sony but enjoy your LG mate.

20. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64

IF you give a monkey's about 3D that is!

21. brett7365

brett7365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well I am starting to wish I went for the Sony, I bought the LG for the 3d and last night we watched avatar in 3d and it made my wife sick, so that function is now rendered useless to me lol

22. Ginty123

Ginty123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've brought the Sony but I'm not sure what 3d glasses to get I tried a pair of Sony tdg-br250 which don't seem to work .any tips would be welcome I read somewhere that samsang ssg-4100gb work with the Sony TV but I read the fore mentioned Sony br250 worked and they didn't.

23. brett7365

brett7365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    When i was looking on the sony website they had a specific item to match the tv, tdg-bt500a, £49 per pair

24. Ginty123

Ginty123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ,this might be a silly question but my wife insists I need a transmitter !!!! Which sounds like rubbish to me

25. brett7365

brett7365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah but it should be built in the tv, with active 3d a signal is transmitted to the glasses, having said that what size tv did you go for? I was told 55" up on this sony has 3d, below that they dont have 3d!

Your wife is not talking rubbish though, i remember buying a benq nvidia 3d monitor, and i had to buy the 3d transmitter and glasses seperately

26. mclingo

mclingo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,246
    you need the 400a or 500a 3D glasses for the Sony - 8505/8507/8509, those who like 3D will love it on the passive 4k lg's but they are IPS panels so blacks and contrasts is very poor, i'm also getting really bad DSE effects on my LG 65F850 panel so I am swapping it for the Sony 8507 - i had the Sammy JU7000, the picture was awesome but had really bad crosstalk on 3D. Seems the Sony is the best all-rounder. If you are still undecided get yourself to richer sounds or PC world and demo the TV's yourself, take a USB drive with some movies on, the staff in PC world should be happy to provide you with remotes and let you get on with it. They also do tend to have spare 3D glasses knocking about it you ask them to have a look for you - staff were great in leeds PC world.

27. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Do you have to get a new wall bracket for the Sony if you use a universal vesa at present? I read they are completely different fittings.

28. mclingo

mclingo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,246
    standard vesa 400, holes just too low really, i've got around this by only using half of the bracket, so the bottom fixings are on the top holes which effectively moves everything up to the same height as my old TV. I then strengthened it with a piece of metal at the other end just to hold it square, hard to explain and i cant now get you any photos. it works for me and after living with it for 24 hours i love the picture but the menu system and android ad just so bloody amateur, feels totally unfinished, just a total mess. Dont get me started on the remotes though, i've already nearly had a hammer to the small one, it fecking useless. Again, the picture makes up for all the woes,its fantastic even in a dimly lit room.

29. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Thanks. Is it true the Sony does not have dd5.1 for Netflix 4k?

30. pompeyjim

pompeyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    That's true

31. mclingo

mclingo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,246
    another bug seems to be that you cant configure the picture setting while in netflix or any other video app, so you cant actually visually see the changes you are making when changing the brightness and darkness etc. I also find the picture very dark for too contrasty in netflix, not sure about other apps though as not tested. This TV works very well as a PC monitor for a HTPC though, beautiful picture even in a dimly lit room. However it does not support 4:4:4 iin 4k at 60hz, this could be a problem at some point for some. I couldnt get ARC working at all, i just get no picture so I am using he SPDIF/OPTICAL instead, havent tested if its pushing out 5.1 yet though.

Seems this Tv has a long way to go before all its bugs are ironed out, i feel sorry for those who are wanting use all its features, i'm mainly just using it as a monitor for my HTPC.