Question Sony Bravia KD49XE7093BU --what is this and is it ok

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by bigjonnyauk, Jan 15, 2018.

1. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hi guys

ive been offered this quite cheap from my father who purchased 2 this and a lg and hes decided to keep the lg and the sony was for another room but now not needed

the thing is this seems to be a amazon exclusive model based on the 7073 i think (2017) model

i know its not android and uses sony opera /linux system (im prob going to have to purchase a fire stick for plex and stuff )

but my main concerns are (im coming from a 40 inch lg 1080p)

1. its only a 50htz panel but it has this sony motion flow ? is this any good ( is this going to be ok with my xbox one s )
    2. i know hdr isnt going to be great but anyone know if i should at least get something decent or even just upscaling to 4k would be ok .
    3. ive read a few reviews saying blacks are not deep blacks ?
    4. im struggling to find out what panel it is ...va or ips

does anyone have this model or the 7073 and can give some feedback please

basically the tv is new boxed and i can have it from him for 275 as a treat he said :) but is it worth it ?

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    The have a bunch of different model numbers for the same tv, they differ with the strength of motionflow and cosmetic colour, not really worth worrying about though.

For gaming it will be fine, Motionflow is only really useful outside of gaming until you hit more expensive TVs. Having a 120hz panel instead of a 60hz one isn't useful either as you can only send max 60hz over HDMI.

I'm not sure what kind of content/quality/resolution you are talking about when you mention upscaling. Its a myth that upscaling makes material look better, it will always look better the less it has to upscale. HDR is next to useless on this TV, the TV will accept a signal but it doesn't have anything that will make HDR impressive, at all. It will just do its best to compress HDR brightness and colour to SDR kind levels. In most cases you are going to want to use the TV with HDR off to get an accurate picture.

These tie in with eachother, it uses an IPS panel at 43" and 49" sizes. 55" + are VA. IPS means you get worse blacks, contrast, screen uniformity. Not so much of an issue when you have the lights on in bright scenes and normal TV. More of an issue if you want to enjoy dark scenes or you like to view movies/games in the dark and want nice blacks and a more uniform screen.

Why don't you go demo the TV in the dark and see if the dark room performance is okay for you? At the kind of price you are getting the TV you aren't going to beat it by buying new unless you spend aprox 350-400 for something like a Samsung 40MU6400.

If you want a TV that has HDR worth having, you're looking at spending a lot more on a larger screen. Sitting at around £850 the Sony 49XE9005 is the minimum TV to go for for this.

3. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks @Dodgexander for the input i was hoping you would reply

so basically you are saying this is just a sony xe70 ?

going to view the set is the problem as its all boxed up at my fathers who is 250 miles away and he will pay for it to be shipped to me ?

main uses are going to be sky hd ( not q yet ) xbox and plex

i wanted to find the actual model it is as i wanted to look at input lag for gaming etc etc and if watching sports on it is going to be ok

i know what your saying about the money as i was looking at the samsung 49 inch 6400 ( how much better is it than this sony ?

really appriciate your input as you seem to be the guru around here for tv related stuff and in all honesty buying a tv for 850 pound is just something thats not going to happen while i have 3 kids and stuff lol

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018