Sony Bravia EX703 or Panasonic Plasma V20 40"

reima

hello all

some opionon on this please, i need a tv is the one in the house is dying, we mostly watch teretrial and satellite tv so no gaming yet or sky.

i found the tvs:

Sony EX703 - £800
Panasonic - £1149

both come with 5 yrs but i really cant make my mind up as ive been told that plasma loose their brightness etc etc.

some helps on this pleases with pluses and minuses from sets

thanks

cdb2

A number of us on here were going to buy the Sony NX703, the more expensive version of the EX703. However some people found screen uniformity issues with their NX703 with "cones" on the screen (see the NX703 thread for full details) and swapped their NX703 for an HX703 and those at the time looking for an NX703 bought an HX703 instead. I would strongly recommend you read the NX703 thread and the HX703 thread. I'm assuming the issues had with the NX would apply to the EX as it uses the same technology.

It would seem some of the LED sets (NX, EX) are having screen uniformity issues whereas the CCFL sets (HX703) are at the top of their game now. The HX has the same monolithic design and appearance as the NX just a little thicker and from what I have read the HX will give you the better picture. Mine has been delivered today, I'd recommend you take a look at one as there are many happy HX703 owners on here! You should be able to get a good deal in a Sony Centre on one too.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1178429-sony-bravia-ex700-edge-led-100hz.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...ony-bravia-nx700-edge-led-monolith-100hz.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1196433-sony-bravia-hx700-703-series-ccfl-200hz.html

Last edited:

reima

thanks a lot, it seems that the ex703 isnt as good as i thought, i'll check the review and thread on the version you mentioned

reima

thanks again i,m looking at it right now and its a lot better looking then the EX, so overall PQ i take it is much better then the ex and panasonic?

reima

is it me or it doesn't seem its LED screen?

cdb2

The HX is certainly much better looking than the EX703, looks very classy, the front is just a sheet of black glass.

As for PQ, a guy on another forum who works in a Sony Centre said the HX703 gave better picture quality than the current edge LED sets in his opinion. The HX also has 200hz whereas the EX703 has 100Hz. I'd recommend you read in entirety the EX7, NX7 and HX7 threads and then go to your dealer for a comparision of the sets, but I like a number of others on here have steered clear of the edge LED models following comments on here from people who bought them re screen uniformity.

I can't offer any comments on the Panny as I have never seen one, sorry, but I'm sure it is a fine set.

cdb2

is it me or it doesn't seem its LED screen?

The HX703 is LCD CCFL, the EX703 and NX703 are both LCD LED.

Most people on here buying a Sony seem to go for the EX503 (LCD CCFL) or the more expensive HX703 (LCD CCFL).

Some people have said edge LED is more design lead (very thin panel) than focussed on picture quality and is a young technology so not all the issues have been ironed out yet.

Last edited:

reima

hi cdb2

i read the entire thread and yes your right a lot of people seem to be opting the hx703 over the panas g20 and v20 even but more from ex703 and nx703.

seems like a decent TV, looking at the reviews and write ups from the links in the thread it pretty much says sound isn't great and slight purple tint but a lot of members who bought it swear by its PQ and its performance over well known owned sets.

so my conclusion it seems that the sony HX703 is probably one of the best sets in 40" market at the moment?

specially as its all rounder but in the house it will be used for freeview and satellite most of the time.

what do you think and your opinions please

simpav

Standard Member
Got the EX703 today, very pleased so far. Can someone tell me where I should be looking for the 'cones' as my picture looks totally clear

reima

i,m sure some of the experienced member would help on this more but on th HX07 thread there is a video where its clear on white screen.

both top corners and middle of the screen?

reima

how about the HX803, does it have the same issues as the EX and NX models?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom