Sony Bravia color when black?

M

method2

I ended up getting a 46" Sony Bravia LCD HDTV today. I have a question, when I am at a total black screen (ie: switch to a video source that isn't on), the screen isn't flat black, it has random blobs of lighter areas. Is this normal?

im sure i read somewhere on these forums that it is when the screens are new, i think they take time to 'bed-in'

can anyone confirm this?

id sure like the answer to this too as my new phillips had bad backlight leakage 2 nights ago and tonight its been a lot better however,on a black screen it isnt BLACK it has light areas,is this normal?

Its normal to a certain extent,but you need to post a pic or two so people on here can judge if its beyond acceptable.

It seems to be working fine now, I've been watching it for a couple hours. I don't see any of the lighter areas now.

I ended up getting a 46" Sony Bravia LCD HDTV today. I have a question, when I am at a total black screen (ie: switch to a video source that isn't on), the screen isn't flat black, it has random blobs of lighter areas. Is this normal?

Check out the Sony W2000 thread.

LCD's Cannot do Black because of Backlight Bleed, Unlike a CRT best viewing experience is in a Lighted room

Seems the new sony's have an issue with uneaven backlighting also

LCD's Cannot do Black because of Backlight Bleed, Unlike a CRT best viewing experience is in a Lighted room

Seems the new sony's have an issue with uneaven backlighting also

Not only sOnY but I think you'll find that most LCD pannels have it to a greater or lesser extent, probably the smaller the LCD the less noticable backlight bleed/hotspots will be.If you've got a perfect one good for you!..But personally my next purchase will be a Plasma too many drawbacks with LCD technology of 32 inch + at the moment and that goes for any manufacturer, even the so called big one.:(

Not only sOnY but I think you'll find that most LCD pannels have it to a greater or lesser extent, probably the smaller the LCD the less noticable backlight bleed/hotspots will be.If you've got a perfect one good for you!..But personally my next purchase will be a Plasma too many drawbacks with LCD technology of 32 inch + at the moment and that goes for any manufacturer, even the so called big one.:(

Your about Spot on there...;)

However Plasma's are a no no because of high power cosumption, Poor resolution and pixel worries...Just can't win

When I said perfect, I meant I don't see the blobs like before from a normal sitting position. If I move around, then sure I can see lighter areas.. but not said blobs. :) Thanks, I will check out the W2000 thread.

As for the plasma vs lcd thing, you just can't get a definite answer! Plasma has problems lcds don't and vice versa, sucks.

My first 2 flat panel TVs were plasma, mid-range maybe, they were Pioneer and cost about $1000 more than every other plasma on the shelf. Gave away one of them, the 2nd one died 1 day short of a year. I heard good things about LCD and since it fit my needs better (bright rooms, using partially as computer screen, transporting) I got one. I thought they would all be the same and that prices really dropped so I got a crap Vizio one, and hated it. Finally got my Bravia and it's really nice. Although there is something big between glass screen of a plasma and the matte black screen of an lcd that I miss, and I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. But this lcd seems to be as good as those plasmas I've had.

Heh, you're not alone mate,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432171&page=149

Read and weep, no 'bedding in' is going to solve the problem your set has unfortunately.

The effect has a name 'backlight bleed', but also grey storm clouds of death (not really I just made that name up, but it's appropriate).

Basically the effect you have is like dark grey clouds over the screen and blacks are all mottled.

If you can take the set back and demand to inspect the one you take home until you find one that doesn't have this problem.

Aside from the storm clouds of death it's a damn good tele.

Read and weep, no 'bedding in' is going to solve the problem your set has unfortunately.

Well I turned on my 32s2030 yesterday for the first time and had these brighter spots but they didnt effect the viewing (unless you like looking at blank black AV screens:rotfl: ) but having just checked again now they have gone:thumbsup:

Well I turned on my 32s2030 yesterday for the first time and had these brighter spots but they didnt effect the viewing (unless you like looking at blank black AV screens:rotfl: ) but having just checked again now they have gone:thumbsup:

Must be your eyes. "bedding in" doesnt even make sense, they are just lamps shining thru an LCD screen, nothing can bed in.

It seems a sizable amount of people are getting backlight issues with the BRAVIA X/W series. I seem quite lucky in the fact I have no dead pixels and a pretty much even backlight in my 40X2000.

Sorry to rub it in. :)

When I said perfect, I meant I don't see the blobs like before from a normal sitting position. If I move around, then sure I can see lighter areas.. but not said blobs. :) Thanks, I will check out the W2000 thread.

I also experience the same on the edges of my LCD monior (similar to this) but after 10min, it becomes uniformed.

Just to make sure, you’re not experiencing some heavy backlight bleed like this?

I also experience the same on the edges of my LCD monior (similar to this) but after 10min, it becomes uniformed.

Just to make sure, you’re not experiencing some heavy backlight bleed like this?

If thats heavy then i'll accept a medium case of the bleeds. I dont think thats "demand a refund" type of light bleed....

Actually from my experiences some of the hot spots DO go away, my old Sony LCD from 2004 had 3 hot spots on the first night but these all disappeared.

The first Picture is fine !!
ALL TFT's have backlight bleed, The rear defuser is a block of perspex the Lamps sit around the outer edge it will always be brighter there

Just do not watch the damm things with the Lights Off, besides looking Rubbish they are gonna burn Your eyeball's Out !

I think the issue here is blatantly visible backlight bleed, which neither of the two KDL-32V2000s I've owned have had.

I'm assuming it's harder to avoid on large screen sizes.

Must be, to project that much more backlight across a bit panel

Its true all LCD screens have back light bleed. Even my PSP has it to an extent. Thats the problem with LCD's, you cant get a true black on many, if any at all. Pull up a black screen on your TFT computer monitor and that will have some light bleed to. I thought it was a big problem that people are making it out to be but its nothing, if you cant ignore it get a plasma or CRT.

The effect has a name 'backlight bleed', but also grey storm clouds of death (not really I just made that name up, but it's appropriate).

Hmm... well here is something a little confusing then, I think.

Yesterday when I first set it up, I had the problem. After keeping it on for a few hours watching a movie and some tv, I checked a blank av screen and it looked perfect.

Today, I turned it on... enjoyed the blackness of a blank av screen for little. Then put my computer display on it and listened to music for 4 hours. So it alternated between a static blue desktop image and an all black screen saver. Then I turn it to a blank av screen and now it's just like it was yesterday before it appeared to be fixed!

Ok... turned it off for 30 minutes checked again and it's pure black again, no blobs. :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom