Answered Sony Bravia 65 A1 OLED Vs Sony Bravia 75 ZD9 LED

thestorm

Hi!

Prior to the release of the A1 I had a plan to purchase a 75" Tv, either a Sony or Samsung.
Since OLED seems to be the way forward I would be interested to hear about your options on my dilemma of this OLED Vs LED

A 65" screen would look OK, I can't go smaller. But a 75" would be perfect.

Is there a big quality difference between the above mentioned screens?
I have a full 7.1 speaker setup and don't have an interest in the brilliant sound system built into the A1.

When will the price of the A1 drop so i could go for the bigger screen of the A1 if it's available?

What should I do?

Cheers,

Dodgexander

mark800

Distinguished Member
Those are the TVs I chose from. I purchased the Sony A1 and could not be happier. It is a brilliant TV. The 77 inch A1 is ridiculously expensive and realistically won't come down to the price you would want.

midknight

Distinguished Member
Just to counter, I have the 75 ZD9 and its the best tv I have ever owned (and I have owned a lot!). Also the jump up from 65 to 75 is really noticeable.

SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Just to counter, I have the 75 ZD9 and its the best tv I have ever owned (and I have owned a lot!). Also the jump up from 65 to 75 is really noticeable.
It is. Time for another outing of my famous photograph from October 2014, with 65" and 75" Samsungs side by side.
upload_2017-9-5_0-44-21.jpeg

SonOfSJ

@thestorm It doesn't leave a good impression if you start a thread specifically asking for advice and then you never return to the thread to acknowledge any of the help that you have received. As it happens, I do have a further suggestion but I'll wait until you return to this thread.

thestorm

@thestorm It doesn't leave a good impression if you start a thread specifically asking for advice and then you never return to the thread to acknowledge any of the help that you have received. As it happens, I do have a further suggestion but I'll wait until you return to this thread.

Sorry kids and holiday (which I'm still at) got in the way!

Does it count that I responded to your post with a "Like" ?

thestorm

Thank you!

I'm swaying towards getting a 75" as I can't see myself buying a top end tv and then feed it with top end media. I rarely buy new discs and I purchase my favorite discs used or when they are at bargain prices.
I also refuse to pay extra for HD tv for Sky. They get enough money from me .. so why should I have pay a tenner extra a month?

So on that basis I don't mind buying slightly old technology and have a very very good screen size for my setup.

Perhaps if the A1 was available without the fancy speaker technogly bolted on I would buy it as it would be considerably cheaper.

Last edited:

SonOfSJ

@thestorm Well, I can't see your "Like", maybe it was overridden by your selecting midknight's post #6 as the best answer! No matter, it's all good. I'll just endorse him by saying that in the kitchen, when I replaced the Panasonic 65VT65 with the Sony 75W855, I did notice the size increase. Although when I had previously replaced the Panasonic (which started off life in the parlour) with the Sony, the increase was less noticeable, but that was maybe because the parlour ceiling is 10'6" high, whereas the kitchen ceiling is only 7'6" high.

SonOfSJ

Dodgexander

If like you say are unlikely to be upgrading your sources then I seriously would avoid anything UHD at these kind of sizes like the plague.

SD tv will look awful even with the best upscaler compared to on a FHD tv.

The problem of course is you can't really find FHD tv's anymore at that size so I'm not sure what to advise.

I would almost certainty not buy a capable HDR tv if you feel you aren't going to be using HDR, which it sounds like you are likely to not.

If you can't somehow find a HD model still second hand or refurb/ex display and have to go UHD I would definitely go cheap. How about the Hisense 70NU9700?

SonOfSJ

@thestorm I shared Dodgexander's concern that there might not be any 75" Full HD televisions any more. However, I put "75 inch tv Sony" and "75 inch tv Samsung" into Amazon's search engine, and I found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-H6...1504775316&sr=8-2&keywords=75+inch+tv+samsung. This is the same model that I have in my parlour. Speaking of Standard Definition sources, this Samsung is a decent upscaler (I've just switched it on watching SD television channels to check!) of SD material, though not quite as good as my Sony 75W855 in the kitchen. Only you can decide if you are willing to pay three grand for it - I was lucky, I got a refurbished one from Richer Sounds in August last year for only £1400. Oh, the picture shown is wrong, the stand is not a centralised stand. The stand is split into two parts, and you will need a surface that is the full width of the television.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom