Sony Bravia 2020 TV running Plex as media server optical out quality

erbrod

Novice Member
I have a 2020 Sony KD-49XH9505 which I've installed Plex player onto via the Google Store. I then via the player, play MP3 192k audio files from my NAS box with Plex server on it. The audio is output from the TVs optical output and converted into my hi-fi amp (there's no analogue audio out on the TV). I appreciate I'm using MP3 and not lossless audio, but my question is around what conversion may or may not be going on in the TV. Is the plex player / TV just converting, digitally, the MP3 files to the optical stream, or is the MP3 being converted into analogue audio in the TV and then the TV converts back into digital for the optical output? I'm hoping the former, a then the TV is being used as a decent media player. Thanks if anyone has any ideas!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
If your TV has a headphone socket you have analogue audio out.
On most modern Sony TV’s you can toggle it between headphone or Line out in the settings.

erbrod

Novice Member
If your TV has a headphone socket you have analogue audio out.
On most modern Sony TV’s you can toggle it between headphone or Line out in the settings.
Thanks. I looked at the headphone output but when I plug headphones in, it cuts the sound on the TV which I don't want, as sometimes I just use the TV for sound and other times the hifi amp (and its a real pain to have to unplug the cable each time). I can't see a setting on the TV anywhere to allow headphone sound and TV sound (my Panasonic TV does allow this).

Still interested in the answer to my original post, because if the output from the TV digitally is really digital, then I'd be happy to invest in a better digital to analogue converter (maybe hdmi arc to analogue etc). It seems daft to but and expensive media streamer when my TV (potentially) can do this and its got a nice big screen. Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Home/Settings/Display & Sound/Sound
Look in there for the headphone setting and toggle it to Line output and I'm pretty sure it won't mute the TV spkrs and give you an analogue output.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom