Sony Bluray Players, HD Surround No Longer Supported?

Nostromo71

Something strange is happening. I have a Sony S6500 player and have had no issues with decoding DTS-HD or DolbyTrueHD from it in the 17 months I've owned it, but a couple of nights ago it stopped decoding the HD signal and defaulted to DTS and Dolby Digital. No settings had been changed in the player and I also hooked up an old half-knackered Samsung player to my Yamaha RX-V677 receiver to see if it may be at fault, but the Samsung player played the HD soundtrack via the amp without any issue. I also tried different HDMI cables and HDMI sockets but nothing changed. I assumed the HD decoder in the Sony player must be faulty so today I went and bought a Sony S3700 to replace it. After the set-up process had finished, which included a software update, I popped in Hacksaw Ridge and hit play, and once again the player wasn't decoding the HD signal. Could Sony have possibly stopped supporting HD audio? I have exhausted all troubleshooting that I can think of so I thought I'd hand it over to you fine people for some advice?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Blu-ray players do not normally have audio decoding especially HD formats. That is down to the capability of the connected audio kit. They don't support the audio they merely pass it on. Normally they will auto select the best audio format that the kit they are connected to is capable of as identified during the HDMI handshake procedure. The Blu-ray disk setup menus will normally setup which audio track is passed out of the digital outputs. The player setup should be setup to pass the bitstream output to the decoders in the AV receiver.

Nostromo71

Okay, that confuses things even more then, and of course, you're are correct. I did know that but I'd forgot that's how it worked because neither the S6500 and S3700 Sony players provide any audio settings for setting Bitsteam-out. They have a 'Digital Audio Output' setting which gives you the choice of 'Auto' or 'PCM'. I've always had it set to auto and there's never been an issue with DTS-HD showing on the amp's display until a couple of nights ago.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Okay, that confuses things even more then, and of course, you're are correct. I did know that but I'd forgot that's how it worked because neither the S6500 and S3700 Sony players provide any audio settings for setting Bitsteam-out. They have a 'Digital Audio Output' setting which gives you the choice of 'Auto' or 'PCM'. I've always had it set to auto and there's never been an issue with DTS-HD showing on the amp's display until a couple of nights ago.
Did you check the blu-ray disk audio setup options ?

Nostromo71

Yeah, every time I play a disc I check the audio options.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Yeah, every time I play a disc I check the audio options.
By the way Blu-ray players normally switch to multichannel PCM when the destination indicates that it doesn't support the required codec. PCM (being lossless) should give identical performance to the compressed HD content. Try the PCM option.

Nostromo71

I just worked out what has happened. It looks like a firmware update put the audio settings back to their default positions or just changed it, as this setting.

'BD Audio Mix Setting'(Set whether to mix interactive audio and output)'

Had changed to 'On'. It must have been a firmware issue as I haven't touched any of the audio settings for months. I did a factory reset a few months ago when things were going a little wonky with the network settings and that's the last time they were accessed.

Aw well, I guess I can return the new player.

Thank's for taking the time to reply, Graham. It's greatly appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom