Sony Blue Ray Question/difference Between Models

MATT JENNER

Hi All

I was reading in this months cienam mag a review of the BDPS1 player,
it looks just what i want, a player to play high picture quality via my Pearl.
I go into a Denon Amp via an Audio switch box, so i need the 5.1 analogue output for sound.

I was also looking at DVD USA and they are offering the BDPs300 for 599 with 5 blue disks of my choice up to 13.99, apart form hainvg to get a step down transformer ( which doesnt worry me as i got HD Player from states as well)
what is benefits of this 300 over the one that just been released here in the UK the S1.

many thanks

Matt

MATT JENNER

thanks Jakal

SO which one would is best to go for, it seems as if the BDPS1 has more features on the Audio side than the S300, and is built better hence the higher price tag, but if its being discontinued i wont pay the 500 price tag on a machine that is being stopped

Matt

J

jackal

From a personal point of view I'd get either a PS3 or BDP-S300 for now and wait for what comes out in the new year that can hopefully handle profile 1.1 and DTS HD MA audio.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Or get a HD-DVD player for £179?

Not intended as a spoiler, but that's a big price difference.

BadAss

Banned
How can you play BD discs on a HD-DVD player? It don't matter how cheap the player is if it won't play the movies you want.

Well theres always Transformers and Bourne I suppose.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Matt

Personally I would not consider a any of the current standalones. Most (all?) have performance issues BD-J titles i.e. slow load times (see link) and lack support for features being promoted by BD exclusive studios. BadAss has a point about being able to watch the movies you want but that also cuts both ways. As an owner of both formats I think dual support is the future if your interest is watching movies. :)

If you really just want a BD only player at this point I would suggest the PS3. It's operational performance is the best of any current player plus PQ is on par with the standalones. In addition there is a chance it will be updated to support profile 1.1. features. Plus you are more likely to be able to sell a PS3if/when a decent "complete" standalone product arrives. It does not offer 5.1 analogue audio but neither does the S300 AFAIK.

The new Samsung UP5000 dual player (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5386012&postcount=149) offers the audio support you require (Dolby TrueHD decoded over analogue and DTS HD MA promised via FW update) uses the HQV Reon video processor so picture quality will be very good and offers 1080p/24 for Blu-ray/HD DVD. I think it is on sale now in the UK for around £529 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-BD-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188634273&sr=8-2) and should ship over the next few weeks. It is limited to BD profile 1 but at that price point it's value not bad value to access both formats considering it's spec.

I know it's a sad day when a games console is amongst the best performing disc playback products but today it's a fact.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589133

AVI

MATT JENNER

thanks Avi and Badass

I already have an imported HD DVD player, the load times on it are around 1 minute so i am used to slow load times,

all i want is a machine that gives a really good picture, the sound i dont use HDMI i use the anologue outputs and go into a switcher that goes into my Denon 3803 amp, so true HD is pointless as this moment in time cos none of the AV amps can process True DD, i am unsure of when and if they are coming out to handle true DD, i expect there was some on show at CEDIA,

Thaks for the information you have posted, it is such a mine field out there, and it seems alot of manufacturers make it confusing uneccessarily.

Matt

Avi

Distinguished Member
thanks Avi and Badass

I already have an imported HD DVD player, the load times on it are around 1 minute so i am used to slow load times,

all i want is a machine that gives a really good picture, the sound i dont use HDMI i use the anologue outputs and go into a switcher that goes into my Denon 3803 amp, so true HD is pointless as this moment in time cos none of the AV amps can process True DD, i am unsure of when and if they are coming out to handle true DD, i expect there was some on show at CEDIA,

Thaks for the information you have posted, it is such a mine field out there, and it seems alot of manufacturers make it confusing uneccessarily.

Matt

Matt

The load times can be in excess of 2-3 minutes in extreme cases even to just watch the movie. This may get worse when additional 1.1 features or greater use of BD-J starts to appear on titles.

Dolby TrueHD can be decoded in the player and output as "lossless" multi channel PCM so there no need for the amp to decode. The HD audio would be output via the 5.1 analogue phono's in to your Denon's "EXT IN" inputs via your switch. The result is you have HD quality audio and I use this with my HD DVD player and Denon amp.

For ref Onkyo amps have been available for a while that decode bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA. The issue is player output in bitstream which requires HDMI 1.3(a) and support for bitstream output.

I agree it is very consfusing and there is much BS out there. Hope this is of help.

AVI

MATT JENNER

thanks again AVI

info greatly appreciated,

SO to confirm then you would recommend the PS3, not the S1, or go for the Dual formatt player Samsung.

Matt

Avi

Distinguished Member
thanks again AVI

info greatly appreciated,

SO to confirm then you would recommend the PS3, not the S1, or go for the Dual formatt player Samsung.

Matt

Matt

Depends on your priorities. If you want HD audio (Dolby TrueHD only/uncompressed PCM - S1/S300) via analogue output then that rules out the PS3. The PS3 will support non HD muti channel audio via optical output and HD audio via HDMI. The PS3 PQ is amongst the best I've seen on Blu-ray and I've seen the S1. Personally I would not go with the S1 at this stage.

You didn't mention the model of your existing HD DVD player. If it's a G1 (XA1/A1) product the advantage of going with the UP5000 dual player is your also upgrading HD DVD video performance. This means unless you have a video processor already you can send 1080p/24 for both HD DVD and Blu-ray to the Pearl. 3:2 judder is a pet hate of mine. It also means you have access to HD audio ( inc DTS HD MA in future) via analogue for both formats (could free up some ports on your switch box and space on your rack). Finally with the Reon processor DVD playback will also be pretty good and we may even see a MR hack but that's not guaranteed.

So given the choice of spending £500 on the S1 or £500'ish on a UP5000 I'd go UP5000 and save space on my rack, upgrade video performance on the HD DVD side and support for full 5.1 HD audio over analogue. Oh almost forgot and have access to Blu-ray discs as well. Today I use a PS3 for Blu-ray playback only i.e. I've no interest in games. :)

AVI

MATT JENNER

Hi Avi

thanks again

My current HD DVD player is the first one Toshiba bought out in the states
it is the HD D1,

My main priority is picture quality and the ability to connect it to my Denon AV amp, i am currently using a ZEKTOR HDS4.1 video/Audio selector to connect both my players to the amp, i need to be able to connect to this as i want the sound to come out in 5.1 via my Amp.

i also forgot the player also go into a scaler which goes into my Pearl - the scaler is LUMAGEN VISION HDQ

Avi

Distinguished Member
Hi Avi

thanks again

My current HD DVD player is the first one Toshiba bought out in the states
it is the HD D1,

My main priority is picture quality and the ability to connect it to my Denon AV amp, i am currently using a ZEKTOR HDS4.1 video/Audio selector to connect both my players to the amp, i need to be able to connect to this as i want the sound to come out in 5.1 via my Amp.

i also forgot the player also go into a scaler which goes into my Pearl - the scaler is LUMAGEN VISION HDQ

Matt

The PQ from the PS3 is on par with the S1 and it also supports 1080p/24 output. It's operational performance is also much quicker i.e. a non BD-J disc loads in around 23 seconds and the current BD-J heavy discs take around 43 seconds.

The PS3 will allows non HD 5.1 output via optical. This means your amp will do the basic Dolby/DTS 5.1 decoding via the optical audio input on your Zektor.

I'm a bit confused by the model of switch you have and your request for analogue 5.1. I'm not that familiar with the Zektor but I didn't think the model you quote supports 5.1 analogue i.e. only 5.1 via digital (SPDIF (coax)/ Toslink (Optical). Is this correct or am I getting confused ?

If you want losslesss multi channel HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, Uncompressed PCM, DTS HD MA) via analogue 5.1 you will need a player that decodes these internally and outputs as "lossless PCM" via 5.1 analgue phono's to a switch or amp. The S1 (and S300 correction) will do this for Dolby True HD and Uncompressed PCM. They do not support DTS HD MA.

At this time unless you want a get your hands on a player today and didn't want a PS3 I would look at the new players such as the Samsung UP5000, 2400 or Sony S500 to see if they meet your needs around future audio upgrades. The UP5000 appears to be the most complete spec in terms of audio support at the momment.

Is your HD DVD player connected to you amp direct or via the Zektor ?

AVI

J

jackal

AVI, just to correct you a little...The BDP-S300 does have a 5.1 channel analogue output.

MATT JENNER

AVI

I have leads coming out of the 5.1 output on the HDDVD and into channel 1 on the switcher, my other dvd paler Pioneer dvd 757 goes directly to the AMp via coax.

My Sky connects directly to the amp via tosh link,

The idea of the switcher was to end up having a blue ray and hd both go into the switcher which then goes into the amp via the EXT in.
here is the link on
http://www.copperbox.com/Zektor-HDS4-1-p/hds4.1.htm the switcher -

Matt

Avi

Distinguished Member

AVI

I have leads coming out of the 5.1 output on the HDDVD and into channel 1 on the switcher, my other dvd paler Pioneer dvd 757 goes directly to the AMp via coax.

My Sky connects directly to the amp via tosh link,

The idea of the switcher was to end up having a blue ray and hd both go into the switcher which then goes into the amp via the EXT in.
here is the link on
http://www.copperbox.com/Zektor-HDS4-1-p/hds4.1.htm the switcher -

Matt

Matt

Sorry I think I understand now. I'm not familiar with the Zektor and didn't realise the analogue inputs could be used for video or audio. :suicide:

Sticking with your idea would rule out the PS3 as it doesn't support 5.1 analogue.

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom