Sony BDVE370-volume low unless pushed to level 22

awesomo1000

Standard Member
All - I just received Sony BDVE370 from amazon. While the system seems powerful, there is a HUGE disappointment.:facepalm:
the range of volume on this system is 1-31; 1 being lowest. In a modest size living room, unless I push the volume to 21 or 22 the sound is not even properly audible. Is this normal? are there any other owners of BDVE370 who can share this with me?

I have tried the auto calibiration, have tried adjusting the decibels of the speakers and sub-woofer. I have tried playing with sound modes as well.

Dont want to jump to conclusions but wondering if the system I received is faulty. I am not very knowledgeable on AV matters.

Can someone please help me out? I want to enjoy my new system but this low sound is annoying. Help will be highly appreciated.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Welcome to the forums :smashin:

As long as it goes plenty high enough for your needs, without having to turn it to maximum, I really wouldn't worry about it.

It's only numbers.

My amp goes from -60dB to about +4.
I'm currently listening at -14 and it's just normal volume, where the missus and me don't have to raise our voices to talk to each other.

I hope that reassures you :)

awesomo1000

Standard Member
Badger0-0 - thanks for such a quick turnaround. I take your advice. i am currently playing at 2 points below the maximum to be at the level where we can talk normally in the living room. Dont know, whats up here.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Hmm, that doesn't seem right :confused:

I'm not sure what to think, but I'll have a mooch around for you, to see if I can find anything out :smashin:

sunderland

well i have this system and can tell you if you have it at only 20 it is really loud,i have to have mine on 18 or it gets to a point were the room starts to shake,

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Nosing around seems to confirm that, so there's definitely something wrong.

awesomo1000, I'd try doing a factory reset (I think it's page 58, give or take a page, in the manual).

If that doesn't work, I'd go back to whoever you bought it from.

The sony site mentions that some of these models "may stop functioning";

Televisions and Projectors |  BDV-E370 | Sony Support Europe

I don't think that's related, but it might be and it's worth checking out.

awesomo1000

Standard Member
Here is what I tried - reconnected all the speaker cables. I then re-connected the speakers and did the system reset as suggested. Did easy set up and carried out auto calibration. I then increased the volume of central speaker greater than the others - i can see marginal improvement.

but still 18 is the least I have to do to hear the dialogues. Surround effect was felt in few scenes - when there was firing etc in the scenes. But at volume of 18 - its no where close to shaking the room! I ensured night mode was off. I am playing rather new DVDs which all the Doby DTS 5.1 sounds. Just put on 'The butterfly Effect 2'. The loud noises are prominent at 19/20 but dialogues arent. Think I am done and will have to replace this with amazon. What a shame!

awesomo1000

Standard Member
after 24 it does get quiet loud and then increases upwards. all in all these are 850W speakers. The demo at waitrose was awesome, was nothing like what it has turned out at home.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
after 24 it does get quiet loud and then increases upwards
I'm confused here :confused:

Does it go loud or not?

If it does, I don't see where the problem is?

sunderland

the thing is badger if i have mine on 24 you just cant watch it as its shaking time in the room,even the walls shake,i find anywere between 18/21 is perfect and still really loud,i couldnt use 24 so for his to be just ok at 24,my room is 14ft by 14ft so i dont no if that makes any difference

warrenhewitt10

this is a very hard one to diagnose online, if I bring my speakers into my living room, which is a slightly larger room, the speakers are much quieter. Its an odd problem for the whole system to just be quiet, if it was one channel that was quiet i would understand why it would be defective.

If it still goes loud then i don't see what the problem is. Were you standing in front if it were you got the demo? or sitting the same distance away you are in your house?

As for the shaking walls as sunderland says, were have you got the sub? if its in the middle of a wall or you are sitting in the centre of your room its likely you are not getting the best from it, stick it in a corner and see if theres any increase, then take a wander around you room.

attach an analogue input to it, like a laptop or ipod via a jack>RCA, and see how loud it is. Films are quiet generally, if i have my amp at about 1/4 for music it would need to be about 1/3 for it to be near the same level in a movie.

Trending threads

Top Bottom