Sony BDVE 280 Home Cinema Set up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dankent85, Jan 8, 2012.

1. dankent85

dankent85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, I bought myself a Sony BDVE 280 5.1 home cinema system a couple of months ago. I'm very impressed but just want to check I'm using toi its full potential.

I have got an xbox 360, sky+ HD, toshiba TV and the Sony 5.1 system (with blu ray).

I've found a lot of threads, some quite old, saying you can't get 5.1 through hdmi cable from sky+ hd, is this still the case. I get sound through all 5 speakers from the sky + box but is this true surround sound or just the home theatre system mixing the audio to play through all speakers??

My set up is:

xbox 360 connected via hdmi to home theatre
    home theatre conected to tv via hdmi cable
    sky + hd connected to home theatre via hdmi

doing this I can get sound from either the tv, or surround sound speakers from all devices but is this true surround sound? I know it is for the blu ray but is it for the sky + hd?

I have also connected the sky+ hd box, via digital optical cable to the home theatre system. Within the home theatre system there is an option to set up the 'Audio input mode for HDMi1 (which is where sky + hd is connected)'. If i set this to digital optical cable, I only get sound out of the 5.1 speakers, the tv speakers have no sound. I assume this is then actual surround sound (for programmes labelled DD in TV guide)

Does this seem the best set up to people, or are there any better suggestions?

If my assumptions are right, I have to change the audio input on the home cinema to 'optical' to get true surround sound. My wife gets a headache from using the speakers, so unfortunately I can't always use this setting as she prefers sound just from the TV.

Sorry for long post, and hope the above makes sense.

Thanks for help in advance

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    Why didn't you state that you have an optical cable connected as well for sky+HD at the start? :roll eyes: I typed a reply then had to delete it. Never mind. Does your home cinema system not have an information/display button to bring up the audio information on screen? If you are using optical and the home cinema has been configured to assign the optical input to HDMI 1 then you should be hearing Dolby Digital on HD/movie channels. Other SD channels will just be dolby pro logic. If you stick your ear to the speaker you should hear a warbling noise. This is because the processor is guessing where to send the audio. It can't distinguish between explosions or dialogue so the whole lot is mixed together. It is surround sound but not to be compared with a discrete multi-channel format e.g. Dolby Digital 5.1.

An option would be to connect the Sky+HD box directly to the TV giving you the option of either using the TV speakers via HDMI or the home cinema speakers via optical. Obviously you would need to turn the TV volume down when using the home cinema.

3. dankent85

dankent85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the response.

New to forums but yeah, probably should've put important set up facts first. Oops.

I'll have a look for a display button on the home theatre system.

Will probably try your suggestion of connecting sky via hdmi to tv. I wouldn't need to turn speakers on for normal tv then would I. At the moment I turn it in and mute it which seems a bit pointless.

I assume then if I keep sky connected to surround sound via optical, when I want 5.1 sound I switch speaker input to optical then change tv input to display the sky picture.

Sorry if the above is quite simple, this is my first home cinema and want to make sure it's right.