Sony BDV-N590 DNLA supported video formats

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by sieade245, Aug 11, 2013.

1. sieade245

sieade245
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone. I'm just about to pull the trigger on getting one of these systems. It will replace an old Sony HTIS300 and also a PS3. Currently I use the PS3 for Blu ray and internet streaming and I also use it for DLNA streaming over my network from my home server.

The manufacturers specs say that the BDV-N590 is DLNA supported however, I found a manual online which says that HD videos in MP4, MKV and TS containers are NOT supported over DLNA. Most of my videos are either in MP4 or TS format.

I had an old Sony s370 blu ray player which would only play TS files over DLNA, hence why most of my files are in this format however I bought this 4 years ago and I'm a little surprised that 4 years later, Sony seem to have taken a step back.

Can anybody who has one of these shed any light on this? Can you play TS/ MKV/ MP4 files over DLNA? I cannot keep the PS3 as it is too noisy and is annoying me. I've tried taking it apart, cleaning the fan etc but it just kicks out too much heat for my little AV cabinet. The Xbox I have next to it is silent, but it cannot play the files over DLNA either so I need another solution.

Cheers, Si

2. phookoo

phookoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I had a similar set of questions when I got the N590, but as I didn't originally buy it for streaming it was only once I got it that I started trying to get answers. Simply put, I've not had issues playing MP4, MKV's of 1080p downwards, avi's, you name it. However, when I 1st got it that wasn't the case. I'm not sure if it was surreptitiously fixed in a software update but now everything plays just fine, so my advice is just to update the software as soon as you get it. Oh, and use serviio.