• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sony bdv e870.extra help needed

p.e.no1

Established Member
ok i`ve go this system able to see my computer upstairs via cat5 cable and have found all my files thru windows media player11 apart from mkv. files which i have quite i few.i`m of the understanding that this system should be able to play these files but if i`m wrong could anyone tell me what hd files i should be able to see.aslo could it be wmp11 thats the prob and if so are there any other progs i could stream from.i`ve tried tversity with no luck whatsoever.

any extra advice would be very appreciated.

cheers

CPaul

Standard Member
I've just took delivery of this system 2 days ago and have a similar problem to you (though worse!)... it doesn't seem to be able to find my computer even though i've got it hooked up to the internet via a Devolo home plug adaptor on the same router my desktop pc is on.

I'd be really grateful if you could tell me what you needed to do to get it to find your computer. Does the computer need to be DLNA certified for it to find it?

p.e.no1

Established Member
hi m8
ok i`m no techhead but after reading through loads of posts here and on the net this is how i got this setup.
pc to router-router to a cheap 5 port ethernet switch(this enables me to also add my 360 and later on sky+ box when anytime+ hits us)obviously dont need this box if you`re just connecting straight to sony system-ethernet switch to the bdv e870.

from there turn on pc and system.i`ve tried wmp11 and trial neorhome on the pc(tversity didnt show but i`m not sure on the settings for this).wmp11 seemed to work best with pictures mp3 and avi files.make sure that you allow wmp11 to see your device in the settings.

from here the sony picked up the pc no probs.all i need to do now is sort out the folders its see and manage my pc as i have files all over the place:rolleyes:

on a side note can you access all the additional content when plugged in?bbc iplayer,love film,fifa etc just so we know that the net is working?

oh and while i`m writing this(i`m a bit scatty this morn:D)did you "activate enhanced features" on the sony home page.sure i had to register then do a system update to get more features.just follow onscreen instructions.

let us know how you get on and sry i seem all over the place but my head dont function right at 1030 on a sat morn lol.any more q`s ill try and do my best to answer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom