Sony BDPS300B Blu-ray Disc Player

guitardave

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes you are right, that is a hell of a player from Sony at that price, it has all the bells (7.1 analogue out, lossless over hdmi, hd sound, 1080p/24 Etc) but a couple of the whistles are missing, it's profile 1.0.... no P.I.P...... and no internet connectivity... apart from that it looks superb... and if you don't like that stuff i reckon it is a good buy !! ..... IMHO

Deano

It's not profile 1.1 - which may or may not be important to you.

It's not profile 2.0 - which may or may not be important to you.

It's may well be sluggish loading and navigating any Java intensive discs.

No DTS MA facility, although at this price that's not a major criticism as all BD players regardless of cost fall down here...

It's not profile 1.1 - which may or may not be important to you.

It's not profile 2.0 - which may or may not be important to you.

It's may well be sluggish loading and navigating any Java intensive discs.

No DTS MA facility, although at this price that's not a major criticism as all BD players regardless of cost fall down here...

I would phrase that as all HD players..... :thumbsup::)

I would phrase that as all HD players..... :thumbsup::)

You’re right, but of course at lower prices such omissions can more readily be forgiven ;)

And why exactly are Fox putting DTS MA on their releases? Presumably not for people with any current Blu-ray machines...

You’re right, but of course at lower prices such omissions can more readily be forgiven ;)

And why exactly are Fox putting DTS MA on their releases? Presumably not for people with any current Blu-ray machines...

VERY TRUE Drongo.......... :)

I hope the PS3 will be getting support soon...... along with all the new released players (but as you say, none will be £350 i would have thought) but once i have my disks i won't have to double dip for DTS MA....... ok, maybe i would if i wanted PIP ... ok, we can't win em all ... ok can't win anything :D

I think i better shut up :nono:

VERY TRUE Drongo.......... :)

I hope the PS3 will be getting support soon...... along with all the new released players (but as you say, none will be £350 i would have thought) but once i have my disks i won't have to double dip for DTS MA....... ok, maybe i would if i wanted PIP ... ok, we can't win em all ... ok can't win anything :D

I think i better shut up :nono:

I think it's great that BD standalones are coming down in price, but of course most people who are into such things are waiting for 1.1 so really this machine is aimed at those who don't know any better and who may well be disappointed with their purchase.

It's rather exploitative of Sony IMHO :mad:

Considering the PS3 is £80 more, it's a premium well worth paying unless you desperately need the analogue outputs the 300 has and the PS3 lacks.

I'm certain the PS3 will be upgraded to 1.1 although maybe later rather than sooner to give BD standalones a window of opportunity to exploit…

Thanks for the replies people :)

A couple more questions have been raised though... What is DTS MA? What is PIP? And what are the differences between 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0, and will it affect the players ability to play all blu ray films? Obviously you don't want to be buying BD's and finding that they won't play on your machine!

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks for the replies people :)

A couple more questions have been raised though... What is DTS MA? What is PIP? And what are the differences between 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0, and will it affect the players ability to play all blu ray films? Obviously you don't want to be buying BD's and finding that they won't play on your machine!

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

DTS HD Master Audio is a very high quality lossless audio codec. DTS HD is a lossy version.

This should help answering some of the above -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588983

It will definitely affect the player's ability to play certain features of the title but as far as is known the movie should still play. That said most of the current standalone players struggle with load times on titles that use BD-J i.e. slow load times in excess of 2-3 minutes in some cases. This appears to be due to the processing power required to support BD-J. There are some examples in the above link.

Many people may have no interest in 1.1/2 type extras but the concern is that as more titles start to use BD-J and additional profile 1 or 2 type features this may result in load times suffering further even just to watch the movie. :(

We are hoping that final standard profile and BDlive capable players have more grunt to avoid the BD-J perfromance issues.

AVI

I’m certain the PS3 will be upgraded to 1.1 although maybe later rather than sooner to give BD standalones a window of opportunity to exploit…

There is 2 great posibilities here

1) as you say the 1.1 FW update will be later for the standalones to breakaway and the BD push to stop being games machine orientated ...... or

2) They will update on the 31st Oct so there is at least one 1.1 machine out before the new november deadline....

but imo it has to be as you say option 1, they must push the standalones... I'm doing a Survey/Poll/Competition in the Blu-ray players section and this theory sounded good to me

Andythescientis said:
( Profile 1.1 - who first and When )

I might be wrong but....

Arn't all current/prospective players going to be tested in Japan at the end of sept? Can't remember the dates something like Sept 26th. Only once they have gone through those compatability tests can they call themselves 1.1 players.

My guess is the PS3 will be confirmed as a profile 1.1 player on or around Friday 28th sept.

I might be being optomistic here, but perhaps the reason why nothing is being confirmed as being 1.1 profile yet is because their not allowed to until after these tests?

You never know..... !!

Anyone bought one yet?

We need a guinee pig to take the lid off and scan the Sigma chip for a revision number. Rev A and it's locked to Profile 1.0 Rev C and it's good to go.

I think it has to be viewed i context of its price.

The PS3 has a loud fan and could double as a room heater, quite apart from its lack of 5.1 out. Dont get me wrong its a nice machine (i own one) but its not the same as a standalone.

As regards compliance with profiles and playback of future discs there are a number of things to consider.

The primary concern for me with extended fence sitting is you fail to enjoy the benefit of the item, clearly you could wait for profile 1.1 or 2.0. However once they are out you may well want to wait for 2.1 or 3.0 etc. I suspect it will never end.

Also if the price is right i am happy to give it a go, you can always upgrade later and if your entry price isnt too high you cant lose too much of your investment. I will probably retire the player upstairs when the time arrives!
Why not wait for high def recorders by the way?

I think it is far easier to think of reasons not to act than vice versa. We all know the new formats look terrific, why deny yourself for the sake of some minor feature that may or may not arrive later? I could not care less about extras for example, although playing the disc itself is fairly critical! I suspect makers will want to ensure the basics function or else the sale of goods act may step in!

Just had a demo at my local Sony centre, in all honesty the Samsung BD-P1000 does just the same job!
The look of the S300 has the edge on the Sammy as it's got a nice smooth face & is more matt than gloss.
One things for certain it's like the difference between Victoria Wood & Kate Moss compairing it to the SE1! :rotfl:

Just bought one from my local sony Shop cost £350 and on the box is a huge sticker telling me to register to get Spiderman Trilogy on Blu-Ray for free.

Sound is better in my opinion than my PS3 by a lot, loading times on the other hand are laughable, firmware version 2.10

Incidentally locked for Standard DVD's to UK, can't seem to find any hack :(

then again i hardly have any US discs anymore

Is it in at Carlisle?

Yeah, it's in Carlisle Nic! They have both the SE1 & S300 side by side playing into the same screen.
The SE1 is £699.99 & the S300 £399.99, the later I thought was a really good price for a brand new item.
They had sold the last S300 this morning, next delivery is this coming Wednesday.

I feel a trip up the road coming next week :)

Slightly off-topic [apologies], but my local Empire-Direct was selling BDP1000's today for £249 which is pretty good, i.e. E1 prices only a couple of months back.

Slightly off-topic [apologies], but my local Empire-Direct was selling BDP1000's today for £249 which is pretty good, i.e. E1 prices only a couple of months back.

Poor value in comparision to the Sony considering there's no 1080p/24 or Dolby TrueHD. I've also read mixed reports about the quality of its 1080p/60 output. Add to that it's even slower than the Sony with BD-J titles. :thumbsdow

AVI

Poor value in comparision to the Sony considering there's no 1080p/24 or Dolby TrueHD. I've also read mixed reports about the quality of its 1080p/60 output. Add to that it's even slower than the Sony with BD-J titles. :thumbsdow

AVI

My point was, you can get BD cheap if you want it. Plenty of people are happy with their Sammy's and not having 1080P/24 has not handicapped even the expensive as well as cheap HD DVD players by not having that feature. I agree with you, the Sony seems to be pretty good value...for a BD player..and for a Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom