Sony BDPS-350 vs Denon DVD1800BD

daveb975

I have been using my PS3 as the blu ray player in my main system for sometime now, but I am now watching blu ray's much more often and would like to switch to a standalone player. I am very happy with the quality the PS3 produces, but the loud fan noise and the lack of remote compatibility are very annoying.

I have a Sony BDPS-350 in my second system, and it has been absolutely faultless, so at £150 I am considering this for my main system as well. I am also drawn to the Denon DVD1800BD due no good reason other than I prefer the way it looks next to my Denon receiver!

Are there likely to be any tangible benefits of going for the Denon over the considerably cheaper Sony machine?

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Are there likely to be any tangible benefits of going for the Denon over the considerably cheaper Sony machine?

Secrets review of the 1800 here :) not sure if that's any help to you at all.
Plus,if you fancy Denon there's new models due soon so maybe worth looking there as well.
All the best.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Pity - I thought we had finally moved away from putting so much importance on such tests - most watch movies not test patterns.

Hi. :)
Just a review....thought it might be helpful as there's limited feedback regarding the 1800 on AVForums.
All the best.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Also,i'm at a loss what's wrong with posting a link to a review? :) not one complains if it's AVForums and they benchmark players. :smashin:
Chill :D it's only feedback.....this is what the forums here for of course.

Bumtious

Banned
Also,i'm at a loss what's wrong with posting a link to a review? :) not one complains if it's AVForums and they benchmark players. :smashin:

KF its fine, reviews can be a good guide, but they are only a guide. BUT for me, many reviews are tainted by other factors, the most frightening one is at times that certain reviews are done WITHOUT the kit!!!! Some of the claims and findings IMHO sometimes are just staggering, I sometimes wonder if certain "journalists" know what they are doing.

Our name was used recently by a certain review web site claiming that we had supplied the kit, which is totally untrue!!!

Last edited:

daveb975

Thanks very much for that information - I was unaware of the new Denon models. Those ones look ideal for me, but may be a while off if they are only just being released in the US.

Does anyone think that the prices of these ones will come down as quickly as 1800/2500 did? I remember the 1800 being £600 when it first came out only to come down to £300 a few months later.

It looks as though I might be better of picking up a Sony 350 now for £150, and selling it on for a small loss in a few months time when the new Denon's come out. I would have thought I would stand to lose a lot more if I do the same with the Denon 1800.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Does anyone think that the prices of these ones will come down as quickly as 1800/2500 did? I remember the 1800 being £600 when it first came out only to come down to £300 a few months later.

For the new Denons? i would have thought initial prices would remain for quite awhile to be honest.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
It looks as though I might be better of picking up a Sony 350 now for £150, and selling it on for a small loss in a few months time when the new Denon's come out. I would have thought I would stand to lose a lot more if I do the same with the Denon 1800.
I think that's a sound policy if the new Denon's interest you and you can't wait. They are however due in the UK around July I think so it's not that far off.

As for pricing, in the current conditions who knows? All very volatile. I guess it depends on initial stocks and demand.

EDIT: Denon 1800BD owners thread below:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-players/821971-denon-dvd-1800bd-owners-thread.html

Last edited:

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Come on chaps... ;)

Pity - I thought we had finally moved away from putting so much importance on such tests - most watch movies not test patterns.

Hi. :)
Just a review....thought it might be helpful as there's limited feedback regarding the 1800 on AVForums.
All the best.

KF its fine, reviews can be a good guide, but they are only a guide. BUT for me, many reviews are tainted by other factors, the most frightening one is at times that certain reviews are done WITHOUT the kit!!!! Some of the claims and findings IMHO sometimes are just staggering, I sometimes wonder if certain "journalists" know what they are doing.

Our name was used recently by a certain review web site claiming that we had supplied the kit, which is totally untrue!!!

daveb975

I think that's a sound policy if the new Denon's interest you and you can't wait. They are however due in the UK around July I think so it's not that far off.

As for pricing, in the current conditions who knows? All very volatile. I guess it depends on initial stocks and demand.

EDIT: Denon 1800BD owners thread below:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-players/821971-denon-dvd-1800bd-owners-thread.html

Against my better judgement, I decided to go for the Denon anyway. I will get the 2010 eventually, but will wait for it to come down from £600, so guess it will be quite a while.

The only problem I am having is with the HD sound. Can anyone help with this question:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/denon-owners-forum/1008126-hd-audio-denon-dvd1800bd.html

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Against my better judgement, I decided to go for the Denon anyway. I will get the 2010 eventually, but will wait for it to come down from £600, so guess it will be quite a while.

The only problem I am having is with the HD sound. Can anyone help with this question:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/denon-owners-forum/1008126-hd-audio-denon-dvd1800bd.html

Is there not a setting like HDMI Multi (Normal) :)
You want the player to bitstream,chuck in a DVD what shows on the amp.

Last edited:

daveb975

Is there not a setting like HDMI Multi (Normal) :)
You want the player to bitstream,chuck in a DVD what shows on the amp.

There is, and that is what I have got it set to.

I have tried a DVD, and I get the standard 'Dolby Digital' or 'DTS' showing on the amp according to what is playing.

On Blu Rays, I just seem to get 'Multi Ch In' regardless of what is playing.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
There is, and that is what I have got it set to.

I have tried a DVD, and I get the standard 'Dolby Digital' or 'DTS' showing on the amp according to what is playing.

On Blu Rays, I just seem to get 'Multi Ch In' regardless of what is playing.

If you get DD/DTS on the amp then your players set right,make sure the HD audio track is selected off the disc and on the amp check if there's any HDMI Audio set to ON.
Should be OFF this feature allows audio to pass from the amp over HDMI to the TV.

Last edited:

daveb975

If you get DD/DTS on the amp then your players set right,make sure the HD audio track is selected off the disc and on the amp check if there's any HDMI Audio set to ON.
Should be OFF this feature allows audio to pass from the amp over HDMI to the TV.

Thanks, but still no luck.

There is an option in the HDMI audio menu on the 2808, that allows the output to 'Amp' or 'TV'. When set to 'Amp' I get the 'Multi Ch In' audio, when set to 'TV' I get nothing at all.

Is this the setting you are talking about?

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Thanks, but still no luck.

There is an option in the HDMI audio menu on the 2808, that allows the output to 'Amp' or 'TV'. When set to 'Amp' I get the 'Multi Ch In' audio, when set to 'TV' I get nothing at all.

Is this the setting you are talking about?

Yes you want it set to AMP.
Have you checked through the players audio settings to be sure? also,what discs are showing as Multi-ch.

Last edited:

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Ah,what about "BD audio mode" is it set to HD audio output? from the manual it looks like mix is the default........worth a try i guess.

Last edited:

daveb975

Yes you want it set to AMP.
Have you checked through the players audio settings to be sure? also,what discs are showing as Multi-ch.

Thanks for all of your help. That final setting seems to have fixed it.

I changed the setting from AMP to TV and got no sound at all. When I changed it back to AMP, I started to get Dolby True HD rather than 'Multi Ch In' as I had been getting before!

I haven't tried a disc with DTS MA yet, but I am sure it will now work.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom