Sony BDP-S7200 - Netflix

mb76

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been having some issues with the Netflix app on my S7200. When watching Netflix content I get intermittent, but consistent, audio drop outs. The drop out will be for a couple of seconds and then will cut back in.

No problems with any other streaming app (iplayer, Amazon etc), nor with blu ray playback or DLNA streaming.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thx

Thanks for your response. I just had my unit replaced, and the same thing is happening. I have a PS3 on the same equipment setup and no issues. No problems with any of the other media streaming features either.

Odd that yours is ok. Are you running audio through HDMI? I am using coax, so I wonder if that is the problem.

Just a quick aside, but I spoke to Sony Centre Milton Keynes yesterday and apparently the 7200 will be around for a least another 12 months...

I'm surprised. I thought they would be updating it along with the other H models. I guess there isn't much point though, given that they'll probably be bringing out a 4K model by the end of the year.

I just bought a Samsung F7500 to try. I'm annoyed about the whole thing because I like the Sony. We watch a lot on Netflix though, and I won't hold my breath for them to fix this. I've got a support ticket open, but apparently the app is maintained and owned by Netflix. Unless there is some OS conflict causing the problem that Sony could fix themselves, I don't see it getting resolved. According to some of the US sites, Sony has a slightly odd arrangement in place too, where you first connect to the Sony servers, and from there to the streaming site. It could be that extra link in the chain that is causing my problem, although that doesn't explain why witters hasn't got an issue of course.

Anyway, I guess i'll see what the Samsung is like.

I couldn't get any 5.1 from the Sony Video app on my Sony S1500. Amazon Instant seems fine so far.

I could never get Netflix in lip sync for DD 5.1 on several devices, including the Samsung F7500. I haven't tried it on my S1500 yet.

Is Netflix in lip sync on your Sony S7500?

Auto detection and playback of 24P content over network content is welcome Sony!

My F7500 has been fine with Netflix, so i ended up keeping it & sending the Sony back. The Samsung feels more plastic, and has a slightly older version of the netflix app, but then it works, so there you go.

I was experiencing some lip sync issues but it ended up being a problem with my amplifier which was resolved after i had it serviced. The issues i had were not confined to Netflix though - i could also detect it when watching DVDs - but it was more pronounced on Netflix for some reason. Have you checked everything in your equipment chain? HDMI switches for example, and perhaps try removing any amplifiers and running the player directly to the TV, and also directly to a different TV if you have one. If you can elminate everything else, then at least you will know its definately the player. If thats the case then you might have to change it, or use the lip sync settings on your tv or amplifier to work around the problem.

Tried several devices, including amps, players.

It only does it on DD 5.1. Switch to Pro Logic and it's fine. My TV is only a monitor with no DD 5.1.

I have read on the net, that Netflix has lip sync issue history.

I have only had this problem with Netflix.

It's cost me a lot of money and time, so i have given up now.

Yeah, I'm not sure then - sounds like it could be Netflix that's the problem. If you've tried your player connected to another amp and that presents the same lipsync problems, then I guess you know that it's definitely Netflix. The fact that it only does it when your amp is decoding the DD signal does make it sound like an amp related problem though. Have your got your player configured to send the audio signal to your amplifier as bitstream, and not as PCM? PCM will involve an additional decoding step by the player which may introduce a delay if the implementation is poor- bitstream is best.

I personally haven't had any enduring lip sync problems. I have Netflix on a Roku box, a PS3, an LG TV and the F7500 - and none of them have any lip sync problems. Having said that the Sony 7200 Netflix app was hopeless through the same rig. Stuttering audio blips every 30 seconds - yet the Sony playstation app runs flawlessly. So it's very possible that you just have some kind of incompatibility somewhere or the app for the particular device is a poor implementation.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but can you update the apps on the sony 7200? the netflix app appears to be an older version of the app on the ps4 etc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom