Question Sony BDP-S7200 BD Player that doesn't play discs!

cineman

Hi. I have STILL got a Sony BDP-S7200 blu-ray player. It's been great, doing all the internet stuff really well (that people have complained about on this model) and playing CD's, DVD's and blu-rays just amazingly well. However, major bugbear, is that it has now decided to STOP playing any disc of any kind. I lost the 'Gracenote' function a few months ago, as was promised. (Though I liked that and still want it) and wonder if one reason why it's stopped playing discs is maybe because Sony has now removed that function too? I would have thought it highly unlikely and have read through their site and tried updating the player (Already Updated) it screamed back at me. It says 'fault' when I load up a disc, or 'empty' and one time, which I cannot recreate, it said something like 'disc not recognised', though that wasn't it, but it was something similar and just flashed up for a split second! Anyway, any help or suggestions with what to do with it, other than throw it out, would be gratefully received. I am currently using my partner's BD player, which is from the same era, but a lesser (smaller as well), model, although that is working just fine. Many thanks for any help!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I think that it needs to go to that great blu-ray player graveyard. New players are so cheap nowadays, assuming that you could get it repaired it wouldn't be worth the cost of doing so.

Clem

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Hi. I have STILL got a Sony BDP-S7200 blu-ray player. It's been great, doing all the internet stuff really well (that people have complained about on this model) and playing CD's, DVD's and blu-rays just amazingly well. However, major bugbear, is that it has now decided to STOP playing any disc of any kind. I lost the 'Gracenote' function a few months ago, as was promised. (Though I liked that and still want it) and wonder if one reason why it's stopped playing discs is maybe because Sony has now removed that function too? I would have thought it highly unlikely and have read through their site and tried updating the player (Already Updated) it screamed back at me. It says 'fault' when I load up a disc, or 'empty' and one time, which I cannot recreate, it said something like 'disc not recognised', though that wasn't it, but it was something similar and just flashed up for a split second! Anyway, any help or suggestions with what to do with it, other than throw it out, would be gratefully received. I am currently using my partner's BD player, which is from the same era, but a lesser (smaller as well), model, although that is working just fine. Many thanks for any help!
Could be the laser lens is dirty or the laser is no longer working. As players have separate lasers for DVD/CD (red I think) and blu-ray (blue) it would be odd that both packed up at the same time. Usually the most used one bites the dust first. So it might be worth trying a clean of the lens using a cleaning disc.

Last edited:

cineman

Yeah thanks Clem! I thought that might be the case, but this is such a great player, I thought I'd better ask first at least!

cineman

Thank you Doug! The only problem is, that as no disc can be played at all, that also includes cleaning discs!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
If you're feeling up to it (and obviously take full safety precautions...unplug it from the mains socket first) remove the top cover and gently clean the laser lens with a cotton bud or angled chamois cleaning stick, with a cleaning fluid like isopropyl alcohol.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I had a similar Sony that did the same thing. Good players for the price, but you can pick up 4k players now for the same money. I replaced mine with a Panasonic UB900 despite only watching bluray.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom