Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

I would always think twice about buying a player when a review begins "we hope Sony are going to replace this model soon...:)

I think he S6500 is one model down from the S7200 in terms of performance and spec?

Did you get chance to test using PCM output, seen as digital audio output in the menu? The S7200 has big issues with certain types Dolby encoding when using PCM. However the ones that do work are superior compared to my AVR's own SSP.

Sounds good, my Yamaha Bly-Ray player just died so was looking for something to keep me going till I decide what's next for 4K BD.

@Mark Hodgkinson can you confirm if 24p works with plex if the player has a plex app (Sony TVs do so I would have thought to). The fact it does 24p on Amazon makes it better than the fire TV box already.

Also, is it noisy when playing a blu-ray?

Thanks.

I'll answer my own question. There is no plex app :-(

24p Amazon is decent though and Dolby digital plus over the fire TV make it a decent addition.

So no 24p on Netflix then? That's a bit of an oversight....

Confused by this review. Summary is if I dont want the 4K upscaling ability go for the 5500 cos that is the only difference.

However, in the review there are other comments that suggest otherwise:

Is Build quality also better?

"In basic design terms, there is little to distinguish the BDP-S6500 from the lower tier models but at least the casing is mostly metal so you get some extra weight for your money and it doesn’t gather dust at quite the rate of knots the others do."

Is streaming capability better?

"It’s probably here more than any other area where the performance of the BDP-S6500 outstrips the budget Sony players with generally excellent playback from video streaming services, due to its ability to detect and play 24p correctly."

The marketing stuff on Sony website also suggests 6500 has Duo core processor. Does it load discs any faster?

Anyone confirm there actually these differences between the 5500 and 6500?

Thanks

Hi, now which one to get S5500, S6500 or S7200? One of the main usage will be, playing MKV movies from an external hard drive.

I think he S6500 is one model down from the S7200 in terms of performance and spec?

Did you get chance to test using PCM output, seen as digital audio output in the menu? The S7200 has big issues with certain types Dolby encoding when using PCM. However the ones that do work are superior compared to my AVR's own SSP.
Why would you want to set your Sony player to PCM rather than bitstream if you are connected to a AVReceiver?

."

The marketing stuff on Sony website also suggests 6500 has Duo core processor. Does it load discs any faster?

Anyone confirm there actually these differences between the 5500 and 6500?

Thanks
Just got one unit for myself and I can confirm that it loads discs noticeably faster

What do you exactky mean by "No 24p on Netflix?" (excuse my ignorance)
The Netflix app on the player does not output 24Hz for Netflix material that is encoded at 24 frames per second (which is the majority films and US TV shows). Instead it'll most likely output 60Hz by performing 3:2 pulldown, which adds motion judder.

The Netflix app on the player does not output 24Hz for Netflix material that is encoded at 24 frames per second (which is the majority films and US TV shows). Instead it'll most likely output 60Hz by performing 3:2 pulldown, which adds motion judder.
I have a Roku2 for Netflix, I use my two Blueray player to play blueray discs only.
By the way, are DVDs (non-blueray) in 24Hz or 60Hz?

I have a Roku2 for Netflix, I use my two Blueray player to play blueray discs only.
By the way, are DVDs (non-blueray) in 24Hz or 60Hz?
I think the Roku only does 60Hz - compare it to the video motion on the Netflix app on your Bluray players, you should see a noticeable difference especially in camera panning shots (the Roku will appear juddery in comparison).

DVDs, like Blurays, depend on the source material. NTSC discs (generally region 1) for film titles and some TV shows will usually be encoded at 24fps, but will play back at 60Hz by the player unless your player has an option to output them directly at 24Hz (your Samsung player should have an option like this called "DVD 24F Conversion" or similar). PAL discs are encoded at 25fps and always play back at 50Hz.

I think the Roku only does 60Hz - compare it to the video motion on the Netflix app on your Bluray players, you should see a noticeable difference especially in camera panning shots (the Roku will appear juddery in comparison).

DVDs, like Blurays, depend on the source material. NTSC discs (generally region 1) for film titles and some TV shows will usually be encoded at 24fps, but will play back at 60Hz by the player unless your player has an option to output them directly at 24Hz (your Samsung player should have an option like this called "DVD 24F Conversion" or similar). PAL discs are encoded at 25fps and always play back at 50Hz.
What streaming devices perform in 24Hz on netflix? I thought Roku was a top performer for streaming

Also, i thought the BD player option for 24Hz was only in reference to bluray discs, not streaming

What streaming devices perform in 24Hz on netflix? I thought Roku was a top performer for streaming
None that I'm aware of (other than the old WDTV). It's usually either a limitation on the device hardware, app, or both.
Also, i thought the BD player option for 24Hz was only in reference to bluray discs, not streaming
It depends on the BD player and its apps e.g. this Sony does not support 24p streaming for some reason, some Samsungs apparently don't support 24p streaming over DLNA etc...it's a minefield.

^^^I see you have the Samsung F6500 player, I have the S6500...Is that because yours is UK-based and mine is US-based?

^^^I see you have the Samsung F6500 player, I have the S6500...Is that because yours is UK-based and mine is US-based?
The S6500 is a Sony model - they're not related at all.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
How do yo uset this Sony player on botstream so tah tit will pass the signal to the receiver for decoding? With the Samsung it clearly says "bitstream" in the Audio settings, but I guess Sony uses a different term? It's a little confusing

Why would you want to set your Sony player to PCM rather than bitstream if you are connected to a AVReceiver?

Depending on your AVR, the surround sound processor might not be as good as the one in the BD player. In my case the S7200 SSP is superior to the one in my Yamaha AVR.

Depending on your AVR, the surround sound processor might not be as good as the one in the BD player. In my case the S7200 SSP is superior to the one in my Yamaha AVR.
If you want Dolby Atmos your only option is to enable bitstream

I always wanted to ask this: how is the sound quality rated (eg. 8/10 for this set) for a player that has only digital output? It's a purely digital bitstream, it should be identical for all players.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom