Sony BDP-S6200 owners thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wonkycows, Feb 21, 2014.

1. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I know these are only just available in the UK. Mine just arrived yesterday and it's replacing an ageing Sony BDP-S370.
    Reviews have been very, very sparse. Before purchasing I even contacted a few reviewers to try and find out why there were no reviews available and was told that the item hadn't arrived for review. Bit odd for a major player like Sony not to get these out for they're usual round of positive words of praise that have helped sell so many units so quickly in the past. Decided to take the plunge anyway.
    The spec looks a bit like this.

Bluray and Bluray 3D,
    Dual core processor
    4K upscaling
    Bulit in wifi
    Miracast
    2 USB ports
    DLNA certified
    Extensive internet services i.e. Netflix, BBC Iplayer, etc as well as internet browsing
    Super Audio CD compatible
    Triluminos colour (only works with all the right discs and TV's)
    Digital music enhancer

All sound pretty good on paper. From a Bluray playing point of view things look pretty good. The pictures very nice, good detail and smooth. As far as sound is concerned I'm only really using it as a transport as I have a really nice receiver to take care of the decoding side of things.

Now that's about as far as my testing has got due to a problem connecting to the internet. I've plugged it in via a Cat 5 to try and save any problems, but I've also tried the wifi connection too. It seems to connect to my router fine. I know it's working because I can use the web browser to search the net. What I can not seem to get it to do is connect to the Sony entertainment Network to update the internet video content list. I've tried everything I can think of from software settings to router settings and changing the network cable for good measure and the situation is still the same. I believe there's something wrong with the 6200. Reason I think this is that my ageing 370 connects through the same leads and router with absolutely no issues at all. The 6200 came with the most current software version, so I can't even say it's down to needing an update.
    I did try phoning Sony this afternoon, but after being transferred four times and ending up getting sent round in circles to the same people who'd already transferred me earlier. I see it as they either didn't want to know or just didn't know how to, but either way not a lot of help. I've emailed them instead and I'm waiting to hear back.
    I know from a previous thread I started here that at the moment no one else seems to have one of these, but I'm hoping that some else gets one soon, so we can start talking about it.

2. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've just ordered one today, should be here by Wednesday next week. I was a bit apprehensive to buy it due to the lack of reviews but the 790 seems to be quite hard to get hold of now, at a decent price anyway. Thought I may as well go for the newest model and hope for the best, fingers crossed it's a good model like the 790 is meant to be. I'm hoping the DVD upscaling will be a strong point as that is what I will mainly be using it for - have you any idea yet of what it's like in that respect?

I will let you know if I have any issues with the network set up so it might help you decide if yours is indeed faulty or not.

3. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hey there dognuts,
    I was exactly the same as you, finding no reviews anywhere. I always read reviews before buying, so this was a leap of faith.
    I can say that to my eye's DVD upscaling looks great. I think the image quality is up there with the best I've seen. I've only tried a couple of discs in it, but they look good to me. Think in that respect you'll be very happy with it.
    I had a response off Sony by email. So far they've just asked for more info, which I've given but because of it being late on Friday when they got back to me, I haven't had a response of any use yet. I tried a few more things just now, like a complete reset after unplugging it for a few minute, but that didn't help.
    I noticed on the American Sony store there's two user reviews for the S6200 and one of them says they couldn't get it to connect to the net after days of trying, so they sent it back and gave it a bad review. Does sound like there's some sort of problem going on here. However, the other reviewer says it works wonderfully.
    I'm suspicious at the moment that this problem could be why no machines have been sent out to reviewers.
    I'll let everyone know what happens once Sony gets back to me on Monday.

4. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I've finally fixed my networking issue. I've wasted 7 hours on it, but got there in the end.
    The solution I found with a bit of side ways thinking and a little help from the Sony eSupport network. I worked out that the problem was the s6200 not getting correct info on auto networking to talk to the router properly. So a quick search turned up that this is not a problem particular to the s*200 series players, but also the s*100 players too. I found this advice on manually setting up the player with network settings you can obtain from your routers software menus.

SONY | eSupport - How to manually set an IP address on an Internet Video device.

Once this was done, everything worked perfectly. Netflix in particular has never looked or sounded as good as this on any device I've ever played it on. The s6200 now sees everything on my network and talks using DLNA to what ever I ask it to. I'm now very impressed with the player. I've played network content, internet content, blurays, DVD, Bluray audio, DVD audio, SACD and everything is good.

My only misgiving is that this is a consumer unit and should not be so difficult to set up. I know not everyone will have this problem, but others have already had the problem with other Sony players. Every other network device I have has no problem at all with my network, which is nothing special at all, being just the latest type of Sky router. Now bearing in mind that I hard wired the player to the router this all should have been less of an issue than connecting by wirless as my router has far simpler settings for wired network than wireless. I just feel that not everyone who comes up against this issue is going to be as tech savy as the people on AVForums and it's gonna mean a lot of people being unhappy with this brilliant product and unable to fix this strange quirk of an issue.
    I hope that my experiences with this problem helps anyone else with this same issue. Better than wasting 7 hours of your life fixing an issue like this.

5. Iain-

Iain-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Your networking issue isn't new as I had the same problem with my BDP-S770. Evidently Sony sorted this as two years later my new S790 easily connected to internet. However, I see the problem has returned.

Also, it was discovered last week on the American forum, that the BDP-S6200 has the following undocumented features:
    1. Multi-channel FLAC support via USB port
    2. Multi-channel DSD .dff file support via USB port
    3. Multi-channel DSD .dsf file support via USB port
    I plan to purchase this machine soon when it's more readily available.

6. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I too have read this on the site you speak of. Haven't had time to test this out yet, but will given time (Typing from my bed at the moment due to the flu).
    As I said my old s370 didn't have any problem like this at all either. Strange it should reappear though. I've written an email to Sony asking them to make the manual connection information more readily available.
    Did you have to go through the manual connection process with your s770 to fix the problem?

Do you find it strange that there's been so little information and reviews about this player and it's ability so far? I mean, why are we having to resort to these American sites to even find out stuff like this?

7. Iain-

Iain-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes. I had to contact Sony Support and they supplied the appropriate configuration information.

Considering this BDP won't be officially released in the EU until April, I don't consider it odd. Just give Sony time to sort it.

8. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I really didn't realize it wasn't officially released in the UK till April. Where did you hear that?
    How come you can buy it now though? Surely that says it's available and released for sale.
    Relating to the problems I've had Sony have released this in other markets first and they've also had the same issues, as they have with previous players and after all it's actually the same issue. So you'd think their support would by in place for this issue.
    The guy at what hifi seemed to think it was odd that the player hadn't been supplied for review and they had expected it for a while. In the past Sony has supplied a test device well ahead of release.
    I got a feeling that if people realize what this player can do they'll be out to get it.
    I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this player once you get one mate.

9. Iain-

Iain-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Historically, it's the official release date for at least the past five years. Maybe longer than that.
    There's the release date and then there's the official release date when all the support mechanisms are in place.
    I can do that now. Based on what I've read so far, it's a BDP-S790 with an updated feature set, minus the second HDMI output port. I wouldn't even consider it if were not so.

However, my main concern is the cabinet styling that was introduced last year. Would like to hear your thoughts of that.

10. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Personally I don't like the design of the case. It makes it look cheap and not at all like a proper piece of equipment. Kind of at odds with what its got inside and how it performs.
    It's shiny surface attracts dust and finger prints, but I could live with that, as I do with a lot of black shiny equipment.
    As far as the construction is concerned it doesn't feel tough and it's very light, but then again it is pretty small. It's rigid enough for it's size I suppose. The tray doesn't feel particularly strong, but then neither did the one in my previous Sony player and that's lasted just fine.
    The selling factor for me was the specs, like you said, an updated BDP-S790 minus a second HDMI port I'm never gonna use.
    The look is something I have to live with, but I'm not keen on it. If this were available with same specs in a proper case, that's the one I'd buy even if they charged more for it. I mean it doesn't really fit in with rest of my equipment.
    All that said though, it's just personal taste, isn't it. Some will love the design. I'm sure when it starts getting reviews some will give Sony kudos for looking different and some will dislike it. I think from Sony's point of view they're not really looking at this from a HiFi point of view, thinking more that it's a consumer unit that's gonna sell to particular audience. Only trouble is with these specs it does become a bargain for enthusiasts too and not just for their perceived high end consumers.
    What do you think about this design language?

11. Iain-

Iain-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I concur with your assessment of build quality. Perhaps however, Sony will eventually release an improved build version of the S6200 as they did last year with the BDP-A6000:
    BDP-A6000 | Blu-ray Disc & DVD Players | Sony

... which is BDP-S790 in a more robust case. It's reminiscent of BDP-S770 case which I quite like because of it's minimalist style. Also, S770 is twice the weight of S790 and features a more robust build quality. Pity it's performance pales in comparison to the latter.

I almost ordered A6000 until I realised the S6200 was to be released soon.

12. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I too almost ordered an A6000.
    I've just found out that there's gonna be a BDP-S7200 and although I can't find much about the exact spec, it does look to be in a normal type case. It'll be priced about £250 when it's released some time in March. Specs I can find look pretty similar to the S6200.
    Features player Blu-ray 3D Sony BDP-S7200
    • Blu-ray 3D player
    • Dual-core processor
    • Ultra HD and 1080p Upscaling
    • Triluminos
    • Super Bit Mapping
    • IP Content Noise Reduction Pro
    • SACD
    • Super WiFi
    • Miracast
    • Sony Entertainment Network
    • And USB multimedia playback uPnP
    • SideView TV application (iOS & Android)

13. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I got my player today. Only watched a couple of audio DVD's and one blu-ray, really impressed with both. The upscaling on the DVD's is great and the audio generally is very clear and crisp - it almost feels too forward and light because the treble is so prominent but that may be because I've come from a PS3? It may also be a case of needing a better centre speaker.

Physically it is exceptionally small and light which, as said earlier gives it a cheaper, lower quality feel, but as long as the sound and picture are good I am not too concerned. I much prefer the A6000 but I was under the impression it does not have any smart features? Speaking of which, Lovefilm is not available (yet?), I am pretty annoyed at this as it is one of the main reasons I went with Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer do not offer Lovefilm - I don't want Samsung or LG so Sony was the only option. I will email Sony tomorrow about the issue.

Noise from the unit is low which is surprising considering how light and flimsy it feels. It's a bit noisier playing a blu-ray compared to DVD but nothing intrusive. I'm sat about 10 feet away and I can hear a very quiet low hum when the room is silent. Not a problem and I consider myself quite picky about unwanted noise like that.

Has anyone tried using Miracast to stream from a phone/tablet to the player? I can get my S4 mini to connect but it immediately disconnects. I am hoping to stream BT Sport from my phone to the player so if anyone has any info I'd be very thankful.

Overall I'm very happy so far, worth the "risk" of not seeing any reviews.

14. redsony

redsony
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any1 know if the 6200 has 1080p scaling for dvds or does it go straight to 4k am in the mood to buy a good system since it has dual core processing but cant find a single review for the 6200 but here

15. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    First up, redsony
    the 6200 has 1080p up scaling for DVD. Works well too.

dognuts, I've tried the Lovefilms thing and it didn't work for me either. I think however that there's a big change starting today and everything is migrating to Amazon Prime from Lovefilms, so I'm thinking that maybe there's gonna be a new app or at least changes to the old one. I'd have hoped that since today is the big launch of that service they'd have had it ready to go from the off, but there we have it. I too will send out a few emails and see what happens.
    As far as the miracast thing goes, I've tried it briefly with my tablet and it seemed to work ok, but I honestly didn't try it for more than a minute before turning it off. I've never used miracast before and have nothing to rate it by. That said though, I'll have a go later if I can (got the Flu at the moment and I'm not up to much I'm afraid).
    I take it then that you had no issues connecting to the net and net services (other than Amazon of course)?

16. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry, I forgot to mention the network side of things: I had no issues at all connecting wirelessly, it was very easy and worked first time.

I forgot about the Amazon/Lovefilm switchover today, so as you say that might be the reason. I'll try it on my PS3 and see if it works.

Interesting that you managed to get Miracast working, suggests it's an issue with my Samsung phone, maybe an incompatibility issue and nothing to do with the 6200.

17. Iain-

Iain-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for this information.

I was originally interested in this a few weeks ago, but thread OP at the American forum mentioned it was for Japan release only. If it's now to be released here, I might consider it over S6200.

Only problem is I'm searching for a multi-region BD/DVD machine, which will essentially double the price. Only after a price comparison of them will I make a purchase decision.

BTW, are any images of S7200 available?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  18. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I too believed that the 7200 was only going to be released in Japan, but it's pre listed in web shops all over Europe, so it's coming. Haven't seen a proper picture of it. There was a grainy shot somewhere, but now there's just a message stating that the seller had been told to remove it by Sony. Same thing with the specs being kept under wraps for now, so can't even tell what the 7200 might have over the 6200. I got a feeling there may be some differences other than the case, at least I'd hope so for an extra £50. Maybe a DAC for analogue audio out? Maybe support for extra file types over network? Or maybe the apparently much missed second HDMI. All speculation of course.
    Have you got any idea what it may have? Interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm happy with my 6200 though. I needed a new player and that was that, I couldn't have waited longer anyway. Just lucky I managed to get the new season player so early. The more I use it the more I like it too. Can't think what else I need it to do. As a disc spinner it's great and the network side is the best so far, although it'd be nice if Amazon would sort the Amazon instant app out, but that's nothing really to do with the player.
    I'm even warming to the shape.
    Reminds me of when Honda brought out the Civic a few year ago with what at the time seemed like alien styling (model before the current one). I didn't know if I liked it, but soon came to like it for being different and now doesn't even seem odd any more. Styling is a weird thing like that.

There are mods for multi region on these players already around on the net. If I remember I seen one Yesterday for around the £35 mark. It's probably a simple soldering job to get it up and running. I only remember it as I wondered how can anyone make something like that for a player that's not yet being sold, but I guess that part of the player that needs modifying is probably the same as last years models.

19. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I paid an extra tenner for multi region DVD at Hi-Fi Confidential, ended up £200 inc. postage. Not sure if anywhere is offering multi region Blu-Ray though.

My player locked up last night with a music DVD at the menu screen, I had to unplug the mains to get it to reset - hope that isn't going to be a regular occurrence.

20. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I haven't had the player lock up at all so far. Bit worrying that.

21. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    That started happening with my S790 and the DVD playback crapped out completely a week or two later. IF you do a search on the internets it seems to have been a fairly common issue with the last generation or two of Sony BD players, which is a shame because they're very good otherwise. And I swear that the 3D was better on the S790 than my Panny players, but I'll take reliability over that little bit extra in performance. My BDT320 has a very quiet drive too, unlike the racket that the Sony decks make.

Still thinking about test driving the 6200 though. I just can't help myself!

22. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well, I got a "response" to my email about Lovefilm and Miracast from Sony today. Total generic rubbish, do a factory reset, etc. Tried it, total waste of time, as expected. They have asked for a photo to show what the "fault" looks like, it's ridiculous. Very poor from Sony, they must know if their smart features are actually up and running. Not impressed.

23. wonkycows

wonkycows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I've had quite a few emails back an forth with Amazon on the subject of Amazon instant as it's now called. Still just getting mostly rubbish from them. I've been told that they do support all Sony bluray players from 2010 on, but it's still not working. I've been told to update the app, but that doesn't help either. The last email I had said they would pass on my request for my device to be added to the compatible device list by the app team!
    Still not working though, so it appears there's nothing going on there.

24. Iain-

Iain-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I saw these in January:
    Google Translate

Google Translate

Good points.

My price estimate was based on a fully multi-region (BD/DVD) BDP-S6200 offering of Amazon:
    SONY BDP-S6200 FLAGSHIP 2K/4K 2D: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Probably cheaper places to get this, of course.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  25. astero

astero
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are we looking at in terms of streaming possibilities? I read that it has iPlayer which is a good start, but what about C5/Demand 5, C4 or ITV?

I was going to pick up a Roku 3 box for streaming, but if this player can do the same (at least when it comes to the main broadcasters) then I might as well put the 90 quid towards the 6200 instead.

26. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    The Sony's do iPlayer and Demand 5.

But 4oD and ITV Player are tied up with other manufacturers. Still no sign of either of them for the Sony streaming platform.

27. astero

astero
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it a comfortable experience using Demand 5 on this player in terms of picture quality and general responsiveness of the interface?

28. astero

astero
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, are we talking about a serious difference in upscaled picture quality (from DVD to 1080p) which will definitely be noticeable (like "wow, the picture really is better!") over the Sony 4100?

Can't complain about the 4100 to be honest, playing The Unit and at times it looks like it's a Blu-ray edition.

What really bothers me though about the 4100 is the "cheapy" and grainy font used for subtitles (though when playing Blu-ray it's changes to a much better one - nice and crisp). Will the 6200 have this same el-cheapo font for DVD subtitles?

29. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    DVD subtitles are very low resolution. The PQ looks good when upscaled, but the subs do not. That won't change no matter what Blu-ray player you get.

30. astero

astero
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any update on this? Will the 7200 definitely be released this month (or at all over in Europe?)?