• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony BDP S590

ronat

I see that there is the above model, and also a BDP S590 MR. I thought that all newish players were at least DVD multi-regional, but this would appear to show that I am wrong. Any info?

mentm

You'll need a special remote to make multi region for DVD, the supplier are making the mod for you, the remotes cost £10 upwards typically.

ronat

You'll need a special remote to make multi region for DVD, the supplier are making the mod for you, the remotes cost £10 upwards typically.

Thanks for that, but Richer Sounds have one that is £10 dearer than the standard model, so it makes it worth while going for that one.:thumbsup:

ronat

I am getting email telling me that zoolap has replied to thread, but nothing is showing here. This is a new thing to me....can anyone explain?

mentm

He may have deleted the post?

zoolap

Sorry, wasn't answer to question. I had a question asking whether you could use a programmable universal remote like Philips pronto to do these hacks, but ready the sticky thread after posting (bit lazy, i do apologise again).

From what I could see it's a case of varies by model, some need firmware updates while others need codes... but sorry don't want to take too far off topic.

I'm thinking of going for a BDPS490 from Richer Sounds. 10 quid extra on a 70 quid seems ok for me.

mentm

Last edited:

ronat

I bought the BDP S590 MR from Richer, mainly because it had built-in wifi. It is a really good machine, but unfortunately the wireless was less than successful, so I returned it. However, I have tried a Region 1 DVD in my old machine ( Sony BDP S363 ), and find that it plays perfectly. Presumably that means it will play multi-region, despite being told that Sony machines were not multi-regional. Little bit of comfort.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom